Stalling

blazerkor

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I think there are a few things regulated in fights that should be changed. I think 12 to 6 elbows should be legal and a downed opponent should actually have to be down, none of that one hand down shit, even two hands down and two feet shouldn't count. A fighter should have to me down on the ground, hands and knees or knee, back on the mat, stomach on the mat or sitting, that's it.

That being said, neither of those are the biggest problem in MMA, the biggest problem is stalling. I really think that MMA needs a stalling rule. Wrestling has one and that's not even designed as a spectator sport. Pride used to be very serious about theirs. If a guy is just laying on another guy he should automatically be stood up and given a warning, if he's just holding a guy up against the fence, same thing and if he's running he gets a warning. The rule should be hard and fast. A ref should start a count and weak blocked strikes on the ground or against the cage shouldn't stop the count. 5 seconds should be enough. After the first warning it's a point.

Getting rid of stalling would not only equalize the playing field and keep fighters from wrestle fucking their way to a title but it would make the product better. If a legit stalling rule was implemented, the product would become way better. It would equal more action and would make fights, fights instead of non-combat wrestling contests or track meets. It would make it so if someone had a deficit in cardio, they would be exposed. I know that it would mean another close call refs would have to make but after a little time fighters would do something when they heard the count and it would progress the fight. I know changes to the unified rules are hard to make but all three of these changes need to be made, to make MMA true fighting, to make it a better product and especially to stop stalling from ruining fights and careers.

We need something like a shot clock. No real damage or advancing your position, gets you stood up after so long.

if a fighter can get bullied and kept on the ground they should have to get themselves up

200w.gif

The stalling rule is in wrestling because you know the score at all times, this can easily be manipulated into someone just backing up and doing nothing just waiting for the match to end if they know they're ahead. MMA doesn't really have this problem.

Ive always been one to enjoy the art of hand fighting, and grappling. Gaining position is very important to how a fight plays out.

With that said constant stalling is an issue. But man 5 secs is so fast at a high level we would barley ever see any grappling stand offs.

12 - 6 elbows to the backbone would change that game up pretty darn quickly, but I suspect some cripples would be made from it though.

Ive always been one to enjoy the art of hand fighting, and grappling. Gaining position is very important to how a fight plays out.

With that said constant stalling is an issue. But man 5 secs is so fast at a high level we would barley ever see any grappling stand offs.

It's 5 seconds after the ref decides it's a problem. So first they have to be stationary in whatever position for long enough for the ref to decide they aren't advancing and then verbal 5 count starts. It won't be a quick trigger it will just stop fighters from getting a lead and trying to shut the fight down after that and keep gassed fighters from ruining a fight.

12 - 6 elbows to the backbone would change that game up pretty darn quickly, but I suspect some cripples would be made from it though.

I didn't say start allowing blows to the spine of back of the head, I don't want fighters careers to be cut short.

It's 5 seconds after the ref decides it's a problem. So first they have to be stationary in whatever position for long enough for the ref to decide they aren't advancing and then verbal 5 count starts. It won't be a quick trigger it will just stop fighters from getting a lead and trying to shut the fight down after that and keep gassed fighters from ruining a fight.
Ah gotcha. Must have missed that. That would be ok. Its not really any different than the ref saying " I need action". Once you hear that its about 5 secs without action before they get stood up.

Actually thinking about this this could actually slow shit down. I can see fighters waiting until they start to hear a count before attempting to act.

if a fighter can get bullied and kept on the ground they should have to get themselves up

Nah, if a fighter can get someone to the ground, they should also be able to advance position, go for a sub and/or strike effectively. It's not the ultimate take down and hold down championship.

Ah gotcha. Must have missed that. That would be ok. Its not really any different than the ref saying " I need action". Once you hear that its about 5 secs without action before they get stood up.

Actually thinking about this this could actually slow shit down. I can see fighters waiting until they start to hear a count before attempting to act.

I don't think it would slow things down, because fighters who want and can advance do. The key is that you only get one full 5 count a fight that's a warning and reset standing, then every stall after that is a standing reset and a point taken.

I don't think it would slow things down, because fighters who want and can advance do. The key is that you only get one full 5 count a fight that's a warning and reset standing, then every stall after that is a standing reset and a point taken.
So like a fence grab or a kick to the nuts....

See my point here? Its a way To stall still without being penalized. It would be exploited.

As long as we have top control grinders, fence leaners and huggers, this will go forever. Some of them even have fanbase which I don't understand.

All of these stupid "shot clock" ideas would just allow someone on his back to wrap his opponent up in closed guard and wait. If you really want increased action on the ground and for it to be more like a "real fight," then allow headbutts and kicks and knees to downed opponents. Those lame wrestlers who lay on guys all the way to title shots would start putting all of those guys who can't get back to their feet in the hospital.

Back