I'm happy to be the first on record. DC surprises the MMA world and humbles Jones

Concrete Whale

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
(1) DC is 100% on point mentally, he is collected, determined, he has the interim belt with one defence, his career is going smoothly, he believes in himself and believes he can beat Jones now. Jones looked rusty and emotional and his life has been all over the place with drugs and crime and more than a year off etc.

(2) Jones is also rusty, as we saw in his last fight, and was slowing down and tired early.

(3) Jones broke his foot.

(4) Jones got the better of the wrestling in the DC fight, but DC is still the better pure wrestler. Jones wrestled better in the MMA context, but DC has more room to improve. He was able to insist on the inside fight and get to the clinch at will, and was able to do damage from there. I think that he has learnt from that fight and those since and has more potential to improve and adapt here than Jones, who was reduced to getting double wrist control and leaning on DC with his hips at a distance just to stall the clinch.

(5) DC has more power in his hands than Jones and he was able to hit Jones quite a lot in their previous fight. He knows he can do that now and he knows how to do it and you can be sure we will do it again. Jones's gangly frame is at a disadvantage at that range and DC will hurt him with short, heavy punches from the inside. Jones doesn't have the power in his hands to worry DC, who has been in the cage with HWs.

(6) DC did get caught with some shots to the body early on in their last fight which slowed him down. Considering all the above factors and his wrestling-based style I expect him to pressure Jones harder this time and avoid most of those and tire him out in the clinch, which will allow him to land takedowns and/or a greater volume of punches on the feet or in scrambles.

DC by decision or late TKO. He only needs a small improvement over the last fight to tip the balance and I expect him to make it.

The elbow gods will not allow this!

Haha, you aren't the first on record to say it TS. I predicted DC might even stop Jones, leading up to their previous fight that got canceled.

That being said, you're brave for coming out with that stance in the open here, cuz pretty much everyone thinks Jones will run over DC.

I think DC has the faster hands of the two guys, and if he can make it an ugly fight in close, and rip off combinations, he can beat Jon to the punch and smash him up good.

Looking forward to seeing how the rematch plays out.

Daniel%2BCormier%2Bvs%2BJon%2BJones%2B(2).gif

It isnt unreasonable. First fight was close, and both got offense off. Ive seen more lopsided fights than that one where the rematch went the other way.

Haha, you aren't the first on record to say it TS. I predicted DC might even stop Jones, leading up to their previous fight that got canceled.

That being said, you're brave for coming out with that stance in the open here, cuz pretty much everyone thinks Jones will run over DC.

I think DC has the faster hands of the two guys, and if he can make it an ugly fight in close, and rip off combinations, he can beat Jon to the punch and smash him up good.

Looking forward to seeing how the rematch plays out.

Jones was owning him with the dirty boxing last time lol. I don't see where you see this at all

Do people still not understand the term 'styles make fights'? DC doesn't have more room to improve, if he was younger yes but he's coming off an injury and a war with Gustaffson, why are we acting like Jones had a bad performance just because he didn't get the finish? He completely shut out OSP.

1.) THANK YOU for calling it the interim belt!
2.) The question is: how well will Jones be able to utilize his eye pokes?
3.) My prediction is if Jones from Saturday shows up DC takes it, if the old Jones comes out, fingers stretching for those eye pokes and actually looks like himself, I don't think DC has anything more to offer him than last time.

Do people still not understand the term 'styles make fights'? DC doesn't have more room to improve, if he was younger yes but he's coming off an injury and a war with Gustaffson, why are we acting like Jones had a bad performance just because he didn't get the finish? He completely shut out OSP.
Jones did NOT look like himself in that fight. Yes, he won a fight against a great competitor, but he did not look like the Jon Jones that beat Cormier and Gustafson. I didn't see one eye poke or spinning back elbow.

Jones did NOT look like himself in that fight. Yes, he won a fight against a great competitor, but he did not look like the Jon Jones that beat Cormier and Gustafson. I didn't see one eye poke or spinning back elbow.
That doesn't mean that he won't throw any against DC, OSP and Cormier are COMPLETELY different styles.

He actually did use a spinning back elbow in that fight, I remember.

But his specialty, the eye poke wasn't really there.

That's not a surprise at all. Jones is the rightful favorite but their first fight was very close until DC ran out of gas.

(1) DC is 100% on point mentally, he is collected, determined, he has the interim belt with one defence, his career is going smoothly, he believes in himself and believes he can beat Jones now. Jones looked rusty and emotional and his life has been all over the place with drugs and crime and more than a year off etc.

(2) Jones is also rusty, as we saw in his last fight, and was slowing down and tired early.

(3) Jones broke his foot.

(4) Jones got the better of the wrestling in the DC fight, but DC is still the better pure wrestler. Jones wrestled better in the MMA context, but DC has more room to improve. He was able to insist on the inside fight and get to the clinch at will, and was able to do damage from there. I think that he has learnt from that fight and those since and has more potential to improve and adapt here than Jones, who was reduced to getting double wrist control and leaning on DC with his hips at a distance just to stall the clinch.

(5) DC has more power in his hands than Jones and he was able to hit Jones quite a lot in their previous fight. He knows he can do that now and he knows how to do it and you can be sure we will do it again. Jones's gangly frame is at a disadvantage at that range and DC will hurt him with short, heavy punches from the inside. Jones doesn't have the power in his hands to worry DC, who has been in the cage with HWs.

(6) DC did get caught with some shots to the body early on in their last fight which slowed him down. Considering all the above factors and his wrestling-based style I expect him to pressure Jones harder this time and avoid most of those and tire him out in the clinch, which will allow him to land takedowns and/or a greater volume of punches on the feet or in scrambles.

DC by decision or late TKO. He only needs a small improvement over the last fight to tip the balance and I expect him to make it.
I can appreciate the stuff that is your opinion, even if I don't agree with it but number 3 isn't accurate. Jones had swelling on his foot back stage but has been fine walking on it since. As far as your opinions go: 1) I think DC is breaking, watch the pressers, DC starts out with all of this talk that he's going to beat Jon and by the end of the presser he is talking about how Jon beat him and we'll see what happens, I hardly think he is coming into this fight 100% mentally, anger by itself knocks you down a little mentally. 2) Jones was rusty. I don't think he will be after getting 25 minutes of in ring action and coming back in less than three months. 4) Jones will still have that height on DC and won't let him get mid ring takedowns like DC wants, if DC dives desperately for those takedowns, Jones will make him pay with his consciousness. 5) DC may have more power in his hands than Jones but Jones has that chin, that speed advantage and the reach, DC may land some stuff but it won't be clean enough to even rock Jon. 6) If DC thinks bringing the fight to Jon is smart he will get stopped. Jon will buckle his old ass knees and then if DC is still coming forward with his slow as hell punches, Jon will couter him. Jon is two fast, has too good of foot work and reverses pressure too well... DC is going to lose and it's going to be bad for his health.

I think DC does have a chance albeit not a great one. If he can learn from his mistakes in the first fight and Jones shows up like he did against OSP he's got him...

But never underestimate the power of hate and anger.....JBJ really hates DC and it will make him strong......

tumblr_inline_o0lr4zcMf01rhdgb2_500.gif

He actually did use a spinning back elbow in that fight, I remember.

But his specialty, the eye poke wasn't really there.

OSP actually did something rather smart in regards to that.

Every time Bones started to reach out and do that measuring with the open hand thing, Ovince would actually smack his hand or forearm down, then threaten with a punch. It actually made Jones hesitant to do it after a few times.

Other fighters need to learn from that, and do the same thing. Smack his measuring arm down, hard, repeatedly.

I don't think he has the power to hurt him or even to hold him down. The best chance he has is if Jones fights tentatively again and he outwrestles him to win a decision, gain the upper hand in the clinches and keep from getting himself taken down.

Back