In hindsight how would've Josh Thomson done against Anthony Pettis.

EJRMAN513

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Been thinking about this since the Alvarez/Pettis fight and I think when you look at Pettis' performances against Alvarez and Melendez he really could've put it on Pettis. He's a more well rounded striker than either guy and his wrestling is sneaky and crafty and his jiu jitsu offense and defense is on point.

More well rounded because he has kicks?
Alvarez understandment of striking is a lot deeper than Josh's (also Melendez, despite getting rocked here an there, showed he was a better striker than Josh in their fights).
I think Josh could steal some rounds doing his stalling mount trapping the legs, but in a championship fight, Pettis finds the moment to smoke him eventually.

Thomson is entirely too inconsistent. He coasts for entire rounds. You aren't going to survive with Pettis by hanging back, as Josh tends to do.

Depends which Thomson showed up. When he's on point, he's lethal.

As other posters have stated, there's two Josh Thomsons.

If he came in looking like he did in the Diaz fight then he could've done very well.

318.gif

Prime Thomson takes him pretty easily i'd say. Current Thomson? A bit closer, maybe a split for either. Though, Ferguson isn't really a wrestler & didn't do bad at all.

Josh thompson looked so good in the diaz and benson fights. it's a shame he went on the skid that he did, i was expecting him to be a force in the LW division.

He looked so bad after he beat Diaz.. what happened

I could have seen it going just like Alvarez/Pettis.

Josh was looking so good until the Bobby Green fight, I thought he beat Benson and I still can't fathom how Green got the decision over him, all he did was taunt, those two fights probably killed Thomson's motivation something he would have had going into the Pettis fight.

Back