Request for genuine objective opinion - who will hold the centre of the cage in RDA vs Conor?

Kelman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If we look at two fights in particular..

- It appeared critical to RDA's strategy vs Pettis to hold the centre of the cage, apply pressure, set up takedowns against the cage, etc

- It also appeared critical to Conor's strategy vs Mendes to hold the centre of the cage, make Mendes strike going backwards, and make him an easier target to hit with his back to the cage

If both guys do come out with a similar strategy in this fight, then how is it going to play out? Who is going to be the one who holds centre-cage? And why do you think so?

I think RDA will let Conor come to him, simply because it is the safest strategy. Conor can be taken down easily and he is quite hittable when he is leading (see the Siver and Mendes fights). Old man Siver, recently out of TRT, had some success countering with the right hand and taking Conor down with leg kicks. We all know what happened when Aldo tried to impose a very aggressive strategy.

Last edited:
Conor was saying "let's see who takes the first backstep" to Chad in the staredown by Herb

Conor can do both. He can counterstrike like Anderson Silva and Stephen Thompson and Holly Holm and he can pressure strike like a Diaz brother.

He chose the pressure strategy against Mendes because Mendes is an explosive fighter who he believed wouldn't be able to maintain his style in the later rounds. Conor was correct about that. Conor's pressure is what caused Chad to gas so quickly, above both the short camp and the body shots. Conor could have chosen to sit back more in that fight, and use more footwork, and probably could have avoided being taken down more. I'd have been curious to see how that would have played out.

RDA's style is all about pressure. His natural style is to go forward, use his power, and pressure fighters towards the cage and threaten with takedowns. It worked so well against Pettis that he'll surely use the same strategy against Conor. Conor will oblige him and be the counter striker. If it doesn't end early like in the Aldo fight, then it'll be Conor's job to avoid getting backed up to the cage, avoid Rafael's shots, and counterstrike. RDA will control the centre.

Isn't " objective opinion" an oxymoron?
It really depends on what one means when they use those words. They have different meanings:

"fact" tends to be meant as either "true statement" or "statement of extreme confidence", while "opinion" tends to be meant as either "belief" or "statement of questionable confidence". They're erroneously regarded as opposites of each other.

"objective" tends to be meant as either "unbiased" or people use it when they think there's an argument that has a right/wrong answer, opposed to one that doesn't. "subjective" tends to be meant as either "biased" or people use it when they think there's no right or wrong answer in an argument. However, there IS always a right and a wrong answer, if you break the argument down enough, so that's a bad way to use the word. Effectively, the words should only really be used as synonyms to biased/unbiased.

So, "objective opinion" can just mean "unbiased opinion" or "unbiased belief". I'm sure that's how the TS means it. In other words, he doesn't want Conor haters just saying RDA will control the centre and Conor fanboys just saying Conor will control the centre.

the way i see it going, RDA and conor will both go for the center, leading to a massive exchange in the initial seconds, similar to what happened in the aldo fight - RDA will be a bit more careful though and will prob look for the TD - thats what i see happening - this is also when conor has his best moment to get a huge blow in

the way i see it going, RDA and conor will both go for the center, leading to a massive exchange in the initial seconds, similar to what happened in the aldo fight - RDA will be a bit more careful though and will prob look for the TD - thats what i see happening - this is also when conor has his best moment to get a huge blow in
How I see it too. Perhaps a period of feeling each other out in the first minutes. Also, it's one of those "explosive" fights we always look forward to, but could very well end up being a snoozefest - although I think both guys aren't going to be "too careful".

It really depends on what one means when they use those words. They have different meanings:

"fact" tends to be meant as either "true statement" or "statement of extreme confidence", while "opinion" tends to be meant as either "belief" or "statement of questionable confidence". They're erroneously regarded as opposites of each other.

"objective" tends to be meant as either "unbiased" or people use it when they think there's an argument that has a right/wrong answer, opposed to one that doesn't. "subjective" tends to be meant as either "biased" or people use it when they think there's no right or wrong answer in an argument. However, there IS always a right and a wrong answer, if you break the argument down enough, so that's a bad way to use the word. Effectively, the words should only really be used as synonyms to biased/unbiased.

So, "objective opinion" can just mean "unbiased opinion" or "unbiased belief". I'm sure that's how the TS means it. In other words, he doesn't want Conor haters just saying RDA will control the centre and Conor fanboys just saying Conor will control the centre.

Thank you for creating the post that I didn't have the energy to. I would have thought this was obvious, but you can never legislate for the pedantic bores on here.

It's interesting question cause both fighters like to pressure and stalk their opponents.

I think Conor will uncharacteriy be on his bike for this one looking to counter. If Conor tries to stalk I feel like Conor will lose. Like someone mentioned earlier, Siver did have success against Conor when Conor was pressuring.

Conor is just too easy to get ahold of when he's in that relaxed pressuring lead style, he's not as quick.
Like how Diego brandao easily ducked Conor's punch and dragged Conor to the cage when they were in center of octagon.

I really think Conor going to be trying to stick and move/counter for this one.

I have no goddamn idea how this fight will go.

There.

I said it.

How I see it too. Perhaps a period of feeling each other out in the first minutes. Also, it's one of those "explosive" fights we always look forward to, but could very well end up being a snoozefest - although I think both guys aren't going to be "too careful".
yea definitely - a lot of what conor is going for, in my opinion, is to rile up the opponent and get them to engage early vs. stringing it out - he got aldo i think in that way, staying calm himself

i think it woudl be tough for it to be a boring fight, but you may be right - RDA's pressure game vs. conors counter striking / pressure should lead to a good fight

yea definitely - a lot of what conor is going for, in my opinion, is to rile up the opponent and get them to engage early vs. stringing it out - he got aldo i think in that way, staying calm himself

i think it woudl be tough for it to be a boring fight, but you may be right - RDA's pressure game vs. conors counter striking / pressure should lead to a good fight
I think it depends on how much respect RDA has for that counter. If he's respecting it, he may very well be more careful in his approach.

This is really one of those fights where I personally wouldn't be surprised however it went: boring, exciting, barnburner, total domination by either guy ... I think it could really go either way, depending on how much they respect each other.

They are both pressure fighters. As far as we've seen, RDA needs to move forward in order to win fights (which is why he struggled against Khabib). He kept marching right into the clinch. Basically had no idea how to avoid it while also producing offense. Conor has shown that he can wins fights moving backwards.

Cant spam takedowns backing up. Conor knows this and will do everything to take the centre. Exactly same strategy as he did against mendes. Spinning shit, put him against the cage, full attack. I reckon he will clip RDA a few times, RDA will react accordingly and swing in survival mode, and get cracked by a counter.

Honestly mcgegror has a massive advantage in this fight.

I think after the first few seconds of the fight starting, Dos Anjos will be in the middle of the cage. I think Conor will circle a lot, use footwork to get in and try lands shots and use a lot more feints - a lot of things I feel Dos Anjos hasn't faced yet on the feet and potentially could be confusing for him.

I think Dos Anjos will feel he has the strength advantage and try to tie Conor up in the clinch. He will use a lot of leg kicks at first before, I think, and slowly edge his way forward. I see Conor being too busy on the feet or being too aware not to get trappedup against the cage and taken down.

First round might be a bit of a feeling out game, I think.

They are both pressure fighters. As far as we've seen, RDA needs to move forward in order to win fights (which is why he struggled against Khabib). He kept marching right into the clinch. Basically had no idea how to avoid it while also producing offense. Conor has shown that he can wins fights moving backwards.
Conor is just an effective pressure fighter has he is counter striker. I expect to see both styles against RDA, full offence cracking him with punches and kicks, rda losing his cool and getting countered.

u just failed English - fact

Back