I talked to a guy today that trained at MFS back in the day

BigNuggetIce

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Today I asked my boss if I could come in late on the 27th so I can watch the silva fight. After I mentioned Silva he started talking about the old Miletich gym. He said he used to train there & that it was small & not fancy at all. It was connected to an old barber shop. He talked about how Pulver used to drive a good ways to train there & what a nice guy he was. Then I asked if he ever met Hughes & with no hesitation he said "Matt was an ass"
He said Matt was one of those guys that thought his shit didn't stink. He also said that he missed the days where it was more of a fight than a sport & that he always found Royce Gracie to be boring. Anyways, just thought I'd share. Anyone got any similar stories?

Goldberg: "You know Joe, When Matt and his brother Mark Hughes were growing up they would pound each other behind the barn!"

MLS fighting systems

jamison-olave-crotch-grab-on-olmes-garcia.gif

You have to wonder why guys like him don't follow the sport anymore...

Today I asked my boss if I could come in late on the 27th so I can watch the silva fight. After I mentioned Silva he started talking about the old Miletich gym. He said he used to train there & that it was small & not fancy at all. It was connected to an old barber shop. He talked about how Pulver used to drive a good ways to train there & what a nice guy he was. Then I asked if he ever met Hughes & with no hesitation he said "Matt was an ass"
He said Matt was one of those guys that thought his shit didn't stink. He also said that he missed the days where it was more of a fight than a sport & that he always found Royce Gracie to be boring. Anyways, just thought I'd share. Anyone got any similar stories?
I've met Jens many times and he's the kind of guy that will never blow someone off and will actually have a full on conversation with you about MMA without rushing off. Such a good guy.

We used to have that pro fighter posting on here back in the day. 205'er he was, few fights at heavyweight I think too. Mike C something, he had a Polish surname.

He trained at MFS and used to post some good stories on here.

Could your boss be the JBG Himself ?

We used to have that pro fighter posting on here back in the day. 205'er he was, few fights at heavyweight I think too. Mike C something, he had a Polish surname.

He trained at MFS and used to post some good stories on here.
Do you remember any?

Not surprised. Always got that impression from Hughes, especially after he coached a couple seasons of TUF.

image.jpg Read some reviews of Matt's book. That's full of some revolting stories.

Edit: this is just one of many to provide some insight

Last edited:
Do you remember any?

Just found his name looking at the IFL's roster on wiki. Mike Ciesnolevicz. Maybe find his profile on here and look at posts? Probably been a while since he has posted, it was back in my lurking days I would see his posts.

I used to work across the river in Illinois from MFS in the mid 90s and would see the fighters in public fairly often. Most of them were cool, Hughes just seemed irritable to the public. In his book he basically bragged about treating Tim Sylvia like dirt when they met, which is how I saw him treat non-fighters on numerous occasions.

lol spent 14 months there, talked to Mike C last night, and he is about to open his own place

Jens was pretty quite but cool if u were not sparring him like if I bumped into him out at Mongolian grill or a Japanese Teriyaki place we all used to often eat at

View attachment 78647 Read some reviews of Matt's book. That's full of some revolting stories.

Edit: this is just one of many to provide some insight
There was a lot of reviews like that one about his book. Referencing passages about him mis-treating his wife, and others and basically enjoying doing it. Just being a general piece of shit. But tbh most of us knew that before the book. The book just solidified those views. Great athlete/fighter. Terrible human being.

That's too bad. I was a Hughes fan. Sad to hear so many people say what he was really like.
I read some of his book at a book store, but decided not to buy it.
It was pretty much as described above in my opinion.

Back