Who are the gatekeepers right now for the UFC?

Quillroots

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
The guys that don't really have a shot at the title, but are good enough to hang with the best. Solid fighters with no gaping holes in their game, so they are perfect for testing potential talent, but probably won't streak enough wins together for a chance at the belt.

Clay Guida used to be the perfect example of a gatekeeper, but he seems to have fallen off a bit.

I feel like Cerrone is going to turn into one after losing to RDA. Especially the way he lost, I can't see the UFC giving him another title shot anytime soon. I could see him kind of holding strong at like rank 4-5 and anyone who wants to come up will have to go through him.

FW: Joey B. Megan why?
BW: Faber
FW: Chad
LW: Cerrone
WW: Brown
MW: Bisping
LHW: Bader
HW: about to be JDS

Like the guys who tear your ticket stubs so you can get in to watch?

HW- Roy
LHW- Bader
MW- Bisping
WW- Nick
LW- Johnson
FW- Swanson
BW- Caraway (?)
FlyW- Mccall

FLW - Benavidez
BW - Mizugaki
FW - Lamas
LW - Cerrone & Benson (probably Johnson now that they're both gone)
WW - Matt Brown
MW - Bisping without a doubt
LHW - Glover/Bader
HW - Nelson

Nelson definitely. Dunno, about Faber, I think he's next in line for Cruz. I think Cruz beats him, but he will still get a shot. Matt Brown sadly seems to be turning into one, although he had a nice streak going, but I think there are just too many other guys above him that he will never get a shot.

Faber has never lost a non title fight in the UFC/WEC with exception to Edgar, a championship level fighter that he went up in weight to fight. That's not a gatekeeper.

i think making cerrone wait 6 months for a title shot was a mistake by the ufc, he seems to perform better when he is kept active. Its a big if but if he can get a title shot after a quick turnaround from a previous fight he would easily perform alot better than he did in december, you can tell the nerves and such got to him

Travis Browne, Bader, Tim Kennedy, Tyrone Woodley, Cerrone, Mendes,Dodson

The thing about 'Gatekeeprs' is they come in all shapes for guys coming with one primary weapon. When a guy is an elite striker we consider a wrestler/grappler to be the gatekeeper and visa-versa.

If you put the right fights together a guy can make it pretty far without being tested in their weakest area.

It's all about the Matchups IMHO

Faber has never lost a non title fight in the UFC/WEC with exception to Edgar, a championship level fighter that he went up in weight to fight. That's not a gatekeeper.

I think an eye-poke kept Faber out of that talk but only for so long... if you know what I'm talking about.

Different kind of gate keepers, you have Roy and Matt keeping guys out of the top 10, and a guy like Bisping or Bader keeping you out of the top 5.

To me a gatekeeper isn't someone who gets mutiple title shots or a former champion

FW Makovsky/Caceres
BW Mizugaki/Caraway
FW Bermudez/Swanson
LW Tibau/Lauzon
WW Brown/Ellenberger
MW Bisping/Boetsch
LHW Bader/Glover
HW Bigfoot/Struve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member