Best gameplan fighters? Most adaptable to specific opponents?

deltapapha

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
NOT talking about camps or trainers. Which fighters have proven to be the best "football tape watching" type self-coaches in MMA/UFC? Obviously this would be similar to best fighter intelligence but they are not quite the same.

I would like to think that Conor is shaping up to be that kind of fighter but I'm not so sure yet.

Anyway which fighters have been the best at studying their opponents AND at actually adapting their techniques/training for the win.

I think Cruz.
The way he handled DJ and TJ is a perfect combination of skill and preparation.

I think Cruz.
The way he handled DJ and TJ is a perfect combination of skill and preparation.
c5ccda289dc88dbcb8c5b72a13da568b.gif

Georges St-Pierre all the way.

GSP and Rockhold.

conor fights pretty much the same way every time so not him

GSP is definitely the correct answer

GSP has a very good one size fits all strategy that effectively neutralizes just about anyone.

Cruz's random spazzing out movement is tough to deal with for anyone, even himself as he falls on his ass sometimes while spazzing around.

Conor McGregor imposes his game on others, need more data to see if he can really adapt and accomodate if opponents came in with a top gameplan.

Jones makes very good adjustments mid-fight - e.g. vs. Teixeira shoulder crank, and can out-perform his opponents where they're strongest, e.g. out grinding Cormier.

Weidman did a good job, maybe Robbie Lawler though.

Randy, and it really isn't close. GSP's got him knocked out by Matt Serra. Greg Jackson took over from there.

Weidman did a good job, maybe Robbie Lawler though.

I agree with Weidman, but I don't really see Robbie adapting to specific opponents. He brings the same stuff to the table pretty much every fight, and dares his opponent to deal with it.

Back