Joseph Benavidez & Wilson Reis Are Looking to Fight Each Other in April/May

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

This would be a good fight, props to Reis for calling out the 2nd best guy in the division. I'd take Benavidez by decision but man, that would be 5 decision wins in a row for Benavidez. Gotta think the UFC brass wouldn't like that too much.

What do you guys think of this potential fight?

Another one in the bag for Joe B. He should change his nickname to Joseph "Another One" Benavidez.

Decent challenge to keep Joe B active and bolster his case for a title shot and a potential new challenger for the title gets a big step up.

Benavidez is gonna clear FLW out before Demetrious does.

Benavidez was unlucky to be born in era of Cruz and DJ.

It's the one I want, and what makes the most sense for each guy right now. Horiguchi can fight the winner of Scoggins vs Nguyen or maybe Bagautinov, Formiga, or Moraga if they don't mind giving him a guy coming off a loss

Would be a great fight. Reis is underrated in my opinion.

Makes sense. Worst case Joe wins and cements himself as worthy of a third shot at MM. Or best case Reis wins and we have a brand new contender. Would be cool if they could fight on that Mighty Mouse show as well.

Reis lost to Formiga not a long time ago, Horiguchi/Reis would have been more logical with winner fighting Joe B, but Reis wants that TS and win over Joe B gurantees it, so smart move by Wilson

They should give Benevidez another TS he can lose, and then force him up to 135. Seriously, the dude is killing any other contenders in a very shallow division and it's pointless.

I love Benavidez... and I'm in no
way trying to hype Reis or make
him out to be something that he isn't...

Truth is, though... is that this dude is
great at stopping the takedown early
against opponents who don't have a
distinct size advantage... He also has
great, and possibly more heat behind
his kicks and punches than his record
and ranking might suggest. And his
jiu jitsu shouldn't even be in question....

I hope Benavidez wins and gets to prove
his right to contend for the title again,
as I believe he is better than his last outing
against Mighty would indicate. But he
REALLY needs to mind his p's and q's
here. With that, I'll call Reis by an upset.
Perhaps a knock down to choke or a
choke off a wild scramble. Styles make
fights. And Reis has a great style to really
put Benavidez in some tough spots, and
the skill to take advantage of such openings.

I love watching Wilson Reis fight and big him up for calling out Benavidez but I think this is a terrible matchup for him. I remember when Wagnney Fabiano fought Benavidez and I thought that he could take advantage of all of that crazy stuff alpha males do when you take them down. They turn over and take punishment, anything they have to do to get up and Fabiano knew that so he kept going for takedowns until he got caught.

I could see that same thing happening here and I could also see Benavidez catching him/stopping him on the feet or winning a decision. I think he has to make a massive mistake for Reis to win a fight like that. But in saying that, there's no reason why they shouldn't make this fight.

No, it would not make sense. It would be another easy ass fight for Joe B. 'Grappler with worse striking' makes up the majority of Benavidez' win streak (Elliot, Ortiz, Bagautinov, Makovsky). No reason to see the exact same match up again, we know how that ends.
Horiguchi is the fight. Scoggins would've been a nice match up too but they put him in a stupid match up already

It's the one I want, and what makes the most sense for each guy right now. Horiguchi can fight the winner of Scoggins vs Nguyen or maybe Bagautinov, Formiga, or Moraga if they don't mind giving him a guy coming off a loss

Would be a great fight. Reis is underrated in my opinion.
I love Horiguchi vs. Scoggins/Nguyen winner.

I love Horiguchi vs. Scoggins/Nguyen winner.
Agreed, I was kind of hoping for Horiguchi vs Scoggins, but I'm definitely not complaining about Scoggins/Ngyuen. Horiguchi/Ngyuen would be awesome as well. FLW is somewhat starting to shape up. I'm hoping Cejudo beats Mighty Mouse, that would really shake things up a little bit

This makes most sense if they want to set up a title eliminator, just because they're the 2 who should be closest to a shot after Cejudo. I don't think there's any rush with Horiguchi because of his age and also the face that he said he wasn't ready before he even got his first title shot. There's also no rush with Scoggins or Smolka because they're young. The winner of Scoggins/Nguyen will be close though just because of the thinness of the division.

This makes most sense if they want to set up a title eliminator, just because they're the 2 who should be closest to a shot after Cejudo. I don't think there's any rush with Horiguchi because of his age and also the face that he said he wasn't ready before he even got his first title shot. There's also no rush with Scoggins or Smolka because they're young. The winner of Scoggins/Nguyen will be close though just because of the thinness of the division.
They're not that young. DJ won the title when he was 25 and Scoggins will be 24 in a few months. It's also not the end of his career if he loses to the champ. We're talking about Benavidez getting a third crack at the belt ffs. Scoggins can lose and come back stronger. It's probably for the best that he experiences a championship caliber fighter now while he still has time on his side. A 30 year old flyweight who loses to the champ is basically fucked. He's not going to improve at that point.

Reis looked like a contender last fight and shut down Ortiz better than Benavidez did, so I like it.

Good fight, makes sense, but please no.

I'd actually rather Joe didn't fight anymore. Not coz I don't rate him, quite the opposite. I just really don't want MM/JB III and Joe is better than any other flyweight who might give us a fresh title-fight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back