"you shouldn't judge a fight card until the fights happen folks"

mesmeric

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
This argument has been a bugbear for me over my many years of lurking.

Why shouldn't judge a card in advance based on name/style/whatever values we care to have? Its not as if people selling these cards don't try to make money of our excitement BEFORE a card takes place when the big names are indeed on it.

Sometimes some of the best cards don't have the biggest names.

Ya I agree, but that isn't quite why I find the thread title statement a little objectionable.

There's a very good point to it.

But in the other hand nothing beats intriguing matchups. Or sick title runs and title eliminator matches.

I'm a huge fan but sometimes hard to get emotional invested in fights like before. Maybe we all just growing up or UFC is going thru a rough patch.

What you mean is some of the best fights aren't the biggest names.

That,d be something like reading a celebrity magazine with only regular folks and it because they lead actually more interesting lives. Sure it's interesting, but that's not why most people pick up those magazines.

Because it's true.

Big names/great match ups sometimes turn out to suck/rustle people for the rest of time. You want a list? Diaz/Anderson or Condit (or anyone with footwork/wrestling really). Rampage/Evans. Machida/Henderson. Any fight with Roy Nelson where he doesn't knock someone out/get knocked out by Hunto. Conversely some no name guys put on a better fifteen minutes than anyone on the card. Recently, Scoggins put on a damn masterpiece on the undercard and the co-main consisted of a couple of fat guys trying not to get punched by each other.

People that complain about an event where "they don't know anyone" are true casuals. They just want to see big names that the UFC's told them to watch. The same kind of boxing types that only tune in for the main event.

Because it's true.

Big names/great match ups sometimes turn out to suck/rustle people for the rest of time. You want a list? Diaz/Anderson or Condit (or anyone with footwork/wrestling really). Rampage/Evans. Machida/Henderson. Any fight with Roy Nelson where he doesn't knock someone out/get knocked out by Hunto. Conversely some no name guys put on a better fifteen minutes than anyone on the card. Recently, Scoggins put on a damn masterpiece on the undercard and the co-main consisted of a couple of fat guys trying not to get punched by each other.

People that complain about an event where "they don't know anyone" are true casuals. They just want to see big names that the UFC's told them to watch. The same kind of boxing types that only tune in for the main event.

Well you should its just that your inital judgement is probably wrong.

Lots of lame cards are enjoyable and great cards are lame.

Conor vs Aldo for example.

Conor vs Aldo i expected a good fight was a flash ko
Rockhold vs weidman pretty much what i expected
Romero vs Jacare what a snoozer

This is a solid point.
Maybe the unknown fighters have to try harder to get where they want to get to so the fighting is more 'fireworky'.....
I just made up a word.

This was honestly one of the worst cards to watch live ever, primarily because there was like 30 mins between fights, meaning 25 minutes of dead time between fights.

Lots of finishes does not equal a good card.

disagreed, hard

it isn't necessarily a bad thing to have some time between fights, imo
-beer runs
-bowl packs
-dinner
etc

I just turn that shit up, loud, and walk away during the admittedly frequent breaks in action

You really felt that this was one of the worst cards to watch, ever?

to each their own, mang

cheers

This is a solid point.
Maybe the unknown fighters have to try harder to get where they want to get to so the fighting is more 'fireworky'.....
I just made up a word.

I get great fights with unknown fighters for free on TV.

While I agree that unknowns sometimes put on good fights, at the end of the day why am I gonna pay to watch a couple of dudes I never heard of.

The scrap outside the local bar might turn out pretty good too, but who cares? If I'm watching the biggest mma organization in the world, I'm watching it because I'm interested to see who the best fighters are, and how one top guy does against another.

That "dont judge a card until it happens" shit is just Dana brainwash to take more of your money by putting on a show featuring a bunch of dudes he pays $8000 to show.

You can't judge a fight card if you didn't watch it and had zero interest in ordering it.

Well if a card doesn't have at least one person who you care about fighting on it, you are less likely to watch it.

Back