MMA Brands Are Exploiting Ethnic Cultures and Not Enough Are Caring.

JamesBond007

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
MMA brands are designing their clothing without understanding the historical roots of the symbols and imagery they are using; brands including Reebok (i.e. The infamous Ireland t-shirt). Specifically when these brands are using Asian imagery (which there are a lot of Asian themed designs).

I read this article discussing this area of topic that seems to have gone unnoticed to a large part of the MMA community. https://dynastyclothingstore.wordpr...iation-in-bjj-mma-designs-in-depth-breakdown/

Basically, the article has three "judges" (all of whom are of Asian backgrounds) giving their thoughts on MMA clothing designs that are Asian culture inspired. Including GSP's "Rising Sun" Hayabusa Gi.

"Sadly, when companies try to sell Asian-ness on their Oriental products as a look or as a trend, they fail to respect or acknowledge the fact that images and designs represent actual real people from an actual place and culture. Just wearing clothing doesn’t make you automatically into a yakuza, a samurai warrior, a ninja, or a shaolin monk – and it is important to understand that the figures and symbols being approximated are real cultural figures. It may be fun to fantasize about pretending to be one of these identities, however respect should be had in understanding that the figures being portrayed share a rich cultural history with bloodlines, lineage, traditions, rites of passage, and social class. So don’t wear it just to look“cool” or “bad ass”, but understand the historic undertakings involved."

Since Asian inspired designs are rampant in MMA clothing, chances are most of you own at least one piece of clothing that is designed in such way. How many of you consciously thought about what the imagery, on that piece of clothing, actually represents or if it is even historically accurate?

This almost reminds me of during the 90s when people were getting tattoos of Chinese or Japanese characters and trusting/relying on the artist to tattoo the correct characters. Someone out there probably has the Chinese word for "douche", tattooed on their arm, thinking they have the proper translation for the word "courage".

Discuss.

Last edited:
This was done to death already.

Didn't GSP apologize? Then I'm pretty sure he did it again, or maybe it was another fighter.

thats-racist.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

This thread tries too hard, like all attempts at social sensitivity awareness.

On no! I hope we didn't piss off THREE Asian SJWs all the way over there!

Good trolling TS

Let's see how many take the bait

Exploitation is a fact of life.
  • Reebok and other apparel brands exploiting Asian poverty to make larger profits on sweatshop-made products..
  • Jewelers exploiting African crime culture to cash in on blood diamonds.
  • Arab nations exploiting low-cost Pakistani workers to expedite their construction boom.
  • Seaworld/Marineland exploiting whales and putting them in deplorable conditions to make profits off of admissions.
I would say exploiting the symbology of nationalities (not ethnicity) is at the bottom of this list.

Last edited by a moderator:
What stops me from caring is that I wouldn't be caught dead in MMA brand clothing. Would sooner wear Reebok, though I may prefer death to that also.

Everybody is butt hurt and offended nowadays. These pussies need to suck it up, grow a pair, and move on.

Fuck political correctness.

I was going to read it but the 'article' has an url that starts with "dynastyclothingstore.wordpress".

Is there a link to responsible, non exploiting clothing on the page maybe?

Stopped caring

I think tha Asian influence in MMA clothing has a lot more to do with people's perception of Asian culture and their history of martial arts. I am half Asian, and I absolutely do not feel offended in any way by people trying to correlate Asian imagery with things like martial arts, tradition, and honor. If people do feel that way, they should pull the stick out of their ass. It's clearly complimentary.

I notice that Americans take things from other cultures the most. Pretty weird.

Back