Can JDS come back any better than now?

michi972

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Junior clearly doesn't fight as good as he did before rematches witch Cain

Before fight with Cain we can see, how good was he
Now:

I think, he could beat Alistair, if he threw more punches.However he still wouldn't be the same fighter.Before Overeem fight I would say that he would smash Rothwell, but now IDK

Sad to see what effect the wars have had. Way she goes though.

No, , after the wars he has been in the effects are Fo life....
But he still had the speed to look good against rothwel. Going to be a hard fight for Ben. Ben should try a take down to get him confused..cause if jds can just concentrate on his stand up, his world

You don't come back from Cain vs. JDS 2 and 3 a better man.

Not ever.

It's over bro.

He's failed to evolve more than anything. Ben for example has gone from a tough journeyman with limited skills to a tough elite HW with great grappling and underrated striking.

JDS is still the exact same fighter he was all those years ago when he debuted. No grappling, no defence, just power and speed in his strikes.

It's very interesting and honestly quite shocking to witness Junior's "deterioration" after the brutal fights he's had. You could somewhat see Junior's fall from grace after the third Cain fight. Fought another hard slugfest against Stipe and eventually looked gun shy against Overeem.

He's shot. Irreversibly so. The Miocic fight was his last stand. Cigano is gone.

5th greatest heavyweight fighter of all-time in my opinion.

I'm not so convinced that he is finished. He's really only been beaten up badly twice in his career. To me it looks like his confidence is in the gutter, like he's questioning his instincts in the cage. That's a real thing that can happen to fighters, and if it the case with him maybe he can get over it

Saying he's shot or passed it based of a few fights is jumping the gun, you never judge the way a fighter career is headed after two fights and one of which he won. Not to mention he's training full time at ATT now a world class camp that is known for revitalizing fighters and making them improve.

This will most likely be a case of the classic mma fan saying...."JDS is back" after he has a good performance. We know to most mma fans a fighter is only as good as his last win.

He could still be a very dangerous heavyweight if he got his confidence back. Too bad I don't see how that is going to happen. The UFC gives him tough fight after tough fight. Dominated by Cain? Fight a red-hot Mark Hunt. Merked by Cain again? Fight Stipe. Get KO'd? Fight a red-hot Rothwell.

Saying he's shot or passed it based of a few fights is jumping the gun, you never judge the way a fighter career is headed after two fights and one of which he won. Not to mention he's training full time at ATT now a world class camp that is known for revitalizing fighters and making them improve.

This will most likely be a case of the classic mma fan saying...."JDS is back" after he has a good performance. We know to most mma fans a fighter is only as good as his last win.

How much can ATT revitalize out of Junior? Although I agree that we shouldn't be quick to call a certain fighter "shot" but he did look gun shy to me against Overeem.

I hope all this JDS is shot stuff ends after he Rothwell fight.

He's failed to evolve more than anything. Ben for example has gone from a tough journeyman with limited skills to a tough elite HW with great grappling and underrated striking.

JDS is still the exact same fighter he was all those years ago when he debuted. No grappling, no defence, just power and speed in his strikes.

True story. He amassed an impressive and underrated streak on his way to the title (IIRC 9 wins with 7 finishes), but did it with no striking defense and very little defensive wrestling. By the time Cain exposed JDS' deficiencies, it was already too late for JDS to change who he was as a fighter.

I'm not so convinced that he is finished. He's really only been beaten up badly twice in his career. To me it looks like his confidence is in the gutter, like he's questioning his instincts in the cage. That's a real thing that can happen to fighters, and if it the case with him maybe he can get over it

it would be nice to see him gain some momentum with a win or two before he fights another top guy.

Where's ruan potts?! Or what about jds vs bj penn at hw?

I was sure he could bounce back from the Cain losses, and I think he did really good against Stipe, all things considered.

The fight against Reem was a huge letdown, though. He was so timid, looked gun shy. That fight makes me doubt he's ever gonna come back, and I wouldn't even pick JDS against fighters like Rothwell.

Of course but he needs to do some changes.

True story. He amassed an impressive and underrated streak on his way to the title (IIRC 9 wins with 7 finishes), but did it with no striking defense and very little defensive wrestling. By the time Cain exposed JDS' deficiencies, it was already too late for JDS to change who he was as a fighter.

Yep. Taking absolutely nothing away from JDS and his win streak beating the likes of Carwin, Mir, Werdum, Nelson, CroCop, Gonzaga and Cain is impressive especially as a HW. But most of the guys JDS faced were happy to just stand in front of him and slug it out, and even then a broken down CroCop was giving him trouble with nothing other than a straight right(? cant remember exactly what punch it was but I remember CC giving him problems with it), the Werdum he faced had no striking and no idea who JDS was, Mir has always had terrible takedowns, Carwin could have submitted him if he had a few more seconds and he KO'd Cain before the grappling could be initiated. Through all that though JDS won all those fights because of his offensive striking, his grappling was never tested but once it was he was destroyed for nearly 50 minutes by Cain, and his defensive striking was rarely tested. Those two things have been tested now by Cain, Stipe and Reem but I think JDS after all his early success and all the miles on his body is to set in his ways to change now. His one dimensional skillset got him to the Title in the past, his weaknesses have been exposed now though.

When he can control the pace and keep coming forward he's near unbeatable, but pressure him with the threat of counters and/or grappling and he's not as dangerous. His decline isn't as simple as Cain mauling him and ruining his body, its also that Cain mauled him and exposed him.

Again though a 9 fight win streak at HW in the UFC that culminated in a Title win and a successful defence is ultra impressive, but Junior is a very limited fighter.

Back