Kimura is a Strong Man's submission

CroCopsLHK

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
You gotta be a Strong Man to finish the kimura from the bottom

Relevance?

But true in a way. (6'2lw who uses it alot but mainly for sweeps).

It's also about leverage and the angles of your hips. Not at about strength. Which does play some role in it aswell.

Typically. Almost always.

Werdum's kimura on Overeem still amazes me. He wasn't Ubereem yet, but he was a HW. Werdum's technique won him that fight, though.

As Rogan says. Using a kimura from side control top with leg over head? (mir-nog 2) sure. But trying to crank that son of a bitch from guard bottom against gravity? Good luck pal. I think Nover got one on tuf 8, but it is a rare sub from bottom

Did you just watch the recent JRE Fight Companion?

No. But every ufc fight I've seen where a fighter "threatens" a kimura from the bottom Rogan starts off with "now this is a Strong Man's submission"

Although he initially gets the position from the top, technically Lazuon finishes Warburton with the Kimura from the bottom. Strength definitely plays a part to a degree but it certainly isn't the dominant factor in getting the Kimura.

GuardKimura.gif

It's also about leverage and the angles of your hips. Not at about strength. Which does play some role in it aswell.

Well, of course. EVERYTHING in MMA requires leverage and angles of your hips.

Kimura is most certainly a power sub. Most subs use leverage to a larger degree and need much less force to apply. You can watch many videos of guys forcing through or nullifying a kimura. You don't see anyone powering out of an arm bar. At least not that I've seen (you can see guys get out, but it's by technique, not brute strength).

Sorry, but the kimura is known to be a strong man sub.

Although he initially gets the position from the top, technically Lazuon finishes Warburton with the Kimura from the bottom. Strength definitely plays a part to a degree but it certainly isn't the dominant factor in getting the Kimura.

GuardKimura.gif

The typical kimura does require the applier to be stronger than the defender. There are exceptions to everything and sometimes pure position and timing will be enough to let a weaker fighter get the arm in the right place.

The typical kimura does require the applier to be stronger than the defender. There are exceptions to everything and sometimes pure position and timing will be enough to let a weaker fighter get the arm in the right place.

Well there was a number of factors that lead to it, not just strength.

A. The brutal ground and pound he was landing from the top to soften Warburton up.

B. The fact he had already secured the grip from the top before rolling on to his back.

C. The fact that Lauzon is a much better grappler than Warburton with much better technique. The triangle grip with the legs just added to it.

No doubt Lazuon may very well "have been stronger" than Warburton but that wasn't the main factor in him securing the submission.

It's true. Only the giantest of Silvas can pull off that shit.

sn155v.jpg

Well there was a number of factors that lead to it, not just strength.

A. The brutal ground and pound he was landing from the top to soften Warburton up.

B. The fact he had already secured the grip from the top before rolling on to his back.

C. The fact that Lauzon is a much better grappler than Warburton with much better technique. The triangle grip with the legs just added to it.

No doubt Lazuon may very well "have been stronger" than Warburton but that wasn't the main factor in him securing the submission.

Lol didn't really read what I said did you? I said the typical kimura requires more strength (noting that one was not) and I also said there are exceptions (this being one of them). I realize fully this particular kimura had a lot more going for it and strength was probably not much of a factor on this one.

Well, of course. EVERYTHING in MMA requires leverage and angles of your hips.

Kimura is most certainly a power sub. Most subs use leverage to a larger degree and need much less force to apply. You can watch many videos of guys forcing through or nullifying a kimura. You don't see anyone powering out of an arm bar. At least not that I've seen (you can see guys get out, but it's by technique, not brute strength).

Sorry, but the kimura is known to be a strong man sub.
Guys definitely power out of armbars all the time, picking guys up and shucking them off.

I would say that we probably don't see Kimuras from the guard because the set up is more obvious, slower and it's just more difficult to control the guy on tops posture the way you need to execute it. Any submission can require you to use a lot of energy cranking on it, but yeah I did find myself muscling out Kimura's more than any others

That's why Marcelo Garcia doesn't do it. It's a "strong man submission"

Someone clearly didn't watch TUF 20. Rose Namajunas finished 2 opponents by kimuras from the bottom (she actually reversed Randa Markos and completed a submission from the top).

For some reason, all highlights or GIFs are absent. The only visual representation I found was this:

Thug.jpg

So spoke the Rogan from his mountain home.

Back