Still say...UFC should have a Gi division!

BrainBar

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
A suggestion I threw out last year and so wish it would happen.

A UFC gi division. Yep. Like the original Gracie matches. Bring it back.

Make it much smaller. 2 division weight classes. Over 200 lbs and under 200 lbs. Same UFC rules...just with a gi on AND obviously you could grab clothing now.

Make the rounds longer but only have 1 or 2. Like 1 10-minute round or 2 8-minute rounds.

Heck...make them preliminary matches. Have a champion like the other divisions do.

I think it would be a huge draw for the die hard purists in jiujitsu, judo, Sambo and even karate. And kinda take a small part of UFC back to its roots. Just my opinion. But I think it eventually would be as popular as the other weight class/no gi mma matches.

Would definitely watch. Gi MMA would be sick ass. The only issue I can think of is the constant need to rewrap after a scuffle.

Clearly you left your brain at the bar.

Would definitely watch. Gi MMA would be sick ass. The only issue I can think of is the constant need to rewrap after a scuffle.

Yeah that would have to be a rule requirement. Maybe tape the knot of the belt just like gloves to be sure the belt stays on.

Why not? The original UFC was dominated by a guy in a gi. And it's more realistic to a real fight.

More realistic?

Every real fight I've ever seen, nobody was wearing a gi.

More realistic?

Every real fight I've ever seen, nobody was wearing a gi.

No but most real fights I've seen they A) Had clothes on and B) Were allowed to grab the clothes.

Controlling an opponents hips is immeasurably easier when you can grab his pants/shorts.

No but most real fights I've seen they A) Had clothes on and B) Were allowed to grab the clothes.

Controlling an opponents hips is immeasurably easier when you can grab his pants/shorts.

If your looking for realism, let them wear street clothes and shoes. And weapons.

I think open weight division would be better

Yeah maybe. The gi negates some size differences so just 1 open weight gi division and crown a champion. Again...make it a preliminary match for now. I think it would be awesome and become quite popular.

People think that having no clothes on is more realistic for fighting and I never know why. Maybe they only fight on the beach?
Even if a t shirt rips that opens you up to choke with it.

If your looking for realism, let them wear street clothes and shoes. And weapons.

That's getting silly.

UFC originated with a skinny dude in a gi beating all those monsters. Just thought a division returning to some roots would be cool.

People think that having no clothes on is more realistic for fighting and I never know why. Maybe they only fight on the beach?
Even if a t shirt rips that opens you up to choke with it.

True. But surprisingly if you just use fingers to scrunch up some extra clothes of the T shirt...it works just fine. Just have to have it deep to anchor the hand...not try to choke them with the shirt.

That's getting silly.

UFC originated with a skinny dude in a gi beating all those monsters. Just thought a division returning to some roots would be cool.

This thread got silly the second you clicked post new thread.

Back