How come we never hear how banged up the winner was?

EGarrett

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I can list off all kinds of excuses from people who have lost fights. Johny Hendricks didn't train with the right sparring partners. Chris Weidman had a broken foot. Tito had a cracked skull. Sage had strep throat etc etc etc.

I can't tell you nearly as much about Wonderboy, Rockhold, Forrest, Bryan Barberena and the condition of the other people who win. There's no way they were perfect. I do think Rockhold mentioned his injuries in response to Weidman, but otherwise they're generally silent.

Props to winners for generally keeping it classy. But in the long run, I guess that's what winners do.

What?

After beating Chael Sonnen, Anderson Silva said he had cracked ribs.

It seems that no one is 100% healthy going into a fight. If they sit out the fight, they miss out on a payday, get accused of ducking, and may even be let go by Zuffa.

If they fight injured and lose (or perform poorly), they miss out in a win bonus, get accused of being overrated/past their prime, and may even be let go by Zuffa.

If they keep their injuries a secret, they may jeopardize a whole event (a la Hendo 151); if they give a laundry list of injuries, they sound like Tito. It's a tough racket.

jds after miocic and cain wins had bad knees

conor after poirer win had a dislocated thumb or something

We hear about it alot ,Its an explanation or revelation when you win but an excuse when you lose

Cockhold said he was on antibiotics for his inflamed vagina and that's why he gassed in round 1

What?

After beating Chael Sonnen, Anderson Silva said he had cracked ribs.
That actually got leaked before the fight. Nobody mentioned it because everyone thought Anderson would steam roll him. I was surprised the commission didn't get wind of it.

I hear too much about people's condition, winners and losers. Not my favorite thing.

really. Are we watching the same sport?

Yoel Romero pooped his pants and still won the fight. That takes courage. Hats off to him for not mentioning that after the fight and rubbing salt in the wound.

That actually got leaked before the fight. Nobody mentioned it because everyone thought Anderson would steam roll him. I was surprised the commission didn't get wind of it.

It leaked? Oh the first time I heard about it was in the post fight interview.

Sorry I couldn't find a better quality.

Yeah, like Matt Mitrione. Bitching about something about his eye...pfft.

Rory-MacDonald-Robbie-Lawler-hospital-via-Firas-Zahabi-sq.jpg

Lombard made excuses after he had trouble with Burkman. Fact is most fighters don't come in at 100%. If we waited for that, we'd get about 3 catchweight fights per card.

I can list off all kinds of excuses from people who have lost fights. Johny Hendricks didn't train with the right sparring partners. Chris Weidman had a broken foot. Tito had a cracked skull. Sage had strep throat etc etc etc.

I can't tell you nearly as much about Wonderboy, Rockhold, Forrest, Bryan Barberena and the condition of the other people who win. There's no way they were perfect. I do think Rockhold mentioned his injuries in response to Weidman, but otherwise they're generally silent.

Props to winners for generally keeping it classy. But in the long run, I guess that's what winners do.

quite the opposite.
Luke, at his winning speech said he had a terrible camp.
Cruz said his foot was injured before the fight.
I recall Junior had tweaked his knee before he KTFO Cain
RDA also had a torn ligament when he beat Pettis.

Many fighters, even on wins, speak about their injuries.

The difference is that people don't register as "excuses"

That's why I think it is asinine to say they are excuses.
Every fighter comes from a training camp hurt or injured. Some are nagging injuries, some are bad injuries.

But no fighter will arrive at fight night completely healed. If they did, that's because their training camp was bad (or non-existent). ;)

Back