Serious Discussion..

joseluischillab

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
How much do the rules effect the successful fighting styles in MMA, are we truly seeing the contest for the best fighter?

No serious discussion, starts with "serious discussion".

That's a "rule".

HauntingLeafyDunlin.gif

The guy in the black won because the rules were different back then. Rules change for a reason. Rules also exist for a reason.

Joe took more shots downstairs than most guys could, I imagine.

Serious heart, pain threshold, or fear of releasing the head?

No, we're not. But that's ok. It's close enough.

There are a lot of common techniques that wouldn't work well in a real fight. I mean, a ton of clinching positions with your nuts exposed are out. Any grappling position or sub leaving your eyes open for gouging is out. Any ground position where your head could be kicked or kneed is out. Etc. Lots of things are different in a real fight.

All contests determine the "best" participant according to a given ruleset. The rules do not show us who is the best boxer, or the best wrestler, or the best street fighter, it's true. But how do you define "best fighter" without a certain set of criteria?

All contests determine the "best" participant according to a given ruleset. The rules do not show us who is the best boxer, or the best wrestler, or the best street fighter, it's true. But how do you define "best fighter" without a certain set of criteria?

I agree rules are a must, what is everyones opinion of knees/kicks to grounded fighter?

How much do the rules effect the successful fighting styles in MMA, are we truly seeing the contest for the best fighter?

No we're not. The way the unified rules are written is they take the most effective hand to hand combat techniques, and ban them all for their effectiveness. When you remove the most lethal ways of combat, what remains is no longer what it's supposed to be, even though it is closer to real fighting than any other legitimate combat sports.

How effective would a BJJ black belt be against a purple belt who is also an experienced biter and eye gouger? We'd never know, because the current rules of MMA, and rules of society would never allow us to find out. Bas Rutten said something along the lines of "I'd still choke someone out even if that person gouges my eyes out", well, how would he know? He's never had his eyes gouged out.

one of the biggest discrepancies between an mma fight and an actual fight is that mma has rounds. in a real fight if youre smashing someone in full mount there is no "saved by the bell" with a one minute rest period and a restart in the standing position.

one of the biggest discrepancies between an mma fight and an actual fight is that mma has rounds. in a real fight if youre smashing someone in full mount there is no "saved by the bell" with a one minute rest period and a restart in the standing position.
Do you think round scoring 10 point must system is not suitable to MMA fights?

what sort of pussy wants to kick a guy while he's down?
The one who wants to win. Would it change your perspective if you imagined they were in a war and each was trying to kill the other?

The one who wants to win. Would it change your perspective if you imagined they were in a war and each was trying to kill the other?
There isn't a level of respectful sportsmanship in a war, nice try though.

No we're not truly seeing the contest for the best fighter.

We're seeing the contest for the best Mixed Martial Artist under unified rules.

HauntingLeafyDunlin.gif

The guy in the black won because the rules were different back then. Rules change for a reason. Rules also exist for a reason.

Hackney was much better than Joe Son. The nut shots just sped things up

The rules changed because Senator McCain was ignorant, powerful, and looking for an ant to crush.

Do you think round scoring 10 point must system is not suitable to MMA fights?

honestly, i'd prefer no scoring. it's either a win via finish or else it's a draw. but i realize that will never fly- people want a definitive winner/loser after every fight.

Back