Robbie Lawler vs. Luke Rockhold

Big_Chief_Stove

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
A lot of talk about superfights these days on and off the forums. Why isn't there more buzz around a Lawler vs. Rockhold match up at middleweight?

Rockhold could literally be a LHW. Dude would dwarf Lawler. Would be a weird fight imo.

After years of fighting in his wrong weight class he finally found his home at 170. I love lawler but he would do very poorly at 185. He's not even a big 170

I guess it's because he has enough competition at WW. Close fights and talks of rematches keeping him busy in his own weight class.

wouldn't be good for lawler, he's knows 185 isn't the weight class for him.

Guessing it's cos Lawler is vulnerable enough in his own division

Not everyone has Conor's balls.

Plus Lawler wouldn't be able to even if he wanted. He has no leverage over the UFC.

Not everyone has Conor's balls.

Plus Lawler wouldn't be able to even if he wanted. He has no leverage over the UFC.

Conor has to have big balls. It has to support his swingers.

Conor jumps up in weight 10 lbs to fight RDA, and Conor will be the bigger man.

Robbie would have to jump 15 lbs to fight Rockhold, which in fact will dwarf Robbie. Hell, I think Rockhold will be the bigger man fighting half of the LHW roster. Have you seen the size of Rockhold??? I wouldn't want to get curb stomped either, if I was Lawler.

Robbie would have to jump 15 lbs to fight Rockhold, which in fact will dwarf Robbie. Hell, I think Rockhold will be the bigger man fighting half of the LHW roster. Have you seen the size of Rockhold??? I wouldn't want to get curb stomped either, if I was Lawler.

BJ fought Machida at LHW/Open weight. Have you seen the size difference between BJ and Machida? Fedor constantly fought guys that dwarf him way worse than Rockhold dwarfs Lawler. Size never stopped anybody with balls.

Are you questioning the size of lawlers balls?

He's barely holding onto the belt at WW + He spent a big chunk of his career at MW and wasn't even top 10. WW is his class.

Rockhold vs. Jones/DC winner would be awesome

BJ fought Machida at LHW/Open weight. Have you seen the size difference between BJ and Machida? Fedor constantly fought guys that dwarf him way worse than Rockhold dwarfs Lawler. Size never stopped anybody with balls.

I ma going to go on a limb here and predict that MAYBE, just MAYBE MMA has gotten more popular and fighters have options now. Fighters do not have to take risks just to make a living or a substantial amount on top of their current income.

Or maybe they have gotten smarter and realized that maybe a natural 145lb man should not be fighting a 200+lb man, especially at a professional level.

You see, balls does not equal health, nor does it equal longevity in this sport where a fighter's window of making money is so small he'll rather not risk a permanent injury.

Weight classes, you know how they work, right???

Strikeforce Middleweights ran him out of the Division, but Lawler was once a top MW.

full

- May 31, 2009

MIDDLEWEIGHT DIVISION (185-pound limit)
#1 Middleweight Fighter in the World: Anderson Silva
2. Robbie Lawler
3. Yushin Okami
4. Nathan Marquardt
5. Jorge Santiago
6. Dan Henderson
7. Vitor Belfort
8. Kazuo Misaki
9. Yoshihiro Akiyama
10. Demian Maia

Just saying (for the n00bs and Casualcores)

Last edited:
Who are the threats to Lawler IYO?
Everyone. We've already seen how he went at MW. He's lost easily to Kennedy and Jacare and was getting demolished by Manhoef before he pulled out the W.

In contrast he only has a loss via KO to Diaz and Dec to Hendricks at WW. Size matters. His record only has as many losses as it does due to his venture into MW.

This is just my opinion and Luke might be a skater/surfer dude but he is very violent and way to much for Lawler I am afraid, Lawler does not use that much foot work which makes him stationary. Luke would walk around him with a smile on his face just having a good ole time. I got Luke at #2 on the P4P list because he is so well rounded with Jones slightly edging him out for now but you looking at 2 fighters that are as well rounded as you can get

Back