Stephen Thompson vs GSP?

explodingbunny

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Who you got to win this one?

gsp-frownPNG.png

hi-res-943de19dd12f07c6b8f10072e8d39fd9_crop_north.jpg

Gsp. Because I'll pick gsp against anybody just cause OK.

I predict GSP by insemination, then cuddling. GSP is a classy guy.

GSP is one of the tougher WW style matchups IMO because because he's a wrestler with good reach and a good understanding of distance. I'd still pick Thompson though.

Might be irrelevant in actuality as I don't know that they'd fight each other. They've trained together and Firas Zahabi is good friends to both of them.

GSP is one of the tougher WW style matchups IMO because because he's a wrestler with good reach and a good understanding of distance. I'd still pick Thompson though.

Might be irrelevant in actuality as I don't know that they'd fight each other. They've trained together and Firas Zahabi is good friends to both of them.

Hendricks is a better wrestler than GSP. But GSP has a higher fight IQ. I think Thompson is nightmare match for GSP though. I would pick Thompson to win by KO.

Stephen Thompson is another reason why GSP should NOT come back.

Hendricks is a better wrestler than GSP. But GSP has a higher fight IQ. I think Thompson is nightmare match for GSP though. I would pick Thompson to win by KO.
I would pick the same. I do think GSP is one of the tougher fights for Thompson though compared to the rest of the division. None of the wrestlers have GSP's reach and leverage in the clinch, or his understanding of distance and mixing his striking with his wrestling. Hendricks obviously outwrestled GSP, but that doesn't mean he'd be as successful as GSP with his wrestling against certain opponents.

Rory MacDonald is the only fighter who stands out as a tougher matchup for Thompson than GSP, as he also has length and a takedown threat, but is a better striker with more durability and better GNP if he can get it there.

Aside from those two, there's also Demian Maia who obviously poses a grappling problem. I don't think he'd be able to close the distance though.

And then there's power punchers with puncher's chances, like Tyron Woodley, Hector Lombard, and Johny Hendricks. Thompson was clipped by Ellenberger, has had lots of kickboxing fights, and is 32. So maybe connecting with 1 big punch is the best route to victory. Hendricks did land a couple of good shots early. I can't place the fighters with puncher's chances ahead of GSP and Rory though in their chances of beating Wonderboy. Edit: and the champ Robbie Lawler. I forgot to include him in this list. He's a better striker than those 3 as well but wouldn't be as much of a takedown threat.

There's also the lengthy strikers like Condit and Brown. I don't think they have much for Thompson on the feet. Obviously Brown has his win from a few years ago, but I don't think he'd have the same success in a rematch.

I think that WonderBoy is an amazing and somewhat unorthodox striker and he uses all of his tools in the ring really well.
Having said that, I think that GSP's pressure, wrestling, heavy top game, gas tank, and overall athleticism would give WonderBoy fits.

I could see GSP's speed and wrestling neutralizing most of what Thompson brings to the table.
It would be a typical decision win for GSP.

Let's make this simple.

GSP beats anyone at 170.

Please no more GSP vs anybody threads.

Do you think GSP has fought anyone that poses as much threat to him as Thompson would?
Ahhh yes. Can you say the reverse? One is WW GOAT by a mile, one has one top win over a guy who didn't even make it to the scale in his last fight, all after random testing was enforced.

Thompson could beat Lawler ... saying he definitely destroys GSP is ludicrous.

Man GSP dominates wonderboy no doubt. So many of you people are forgetting how amazing he was...

Back