CM Punk vs Back injury?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I have never had a back problem but to be fair I mostly train boxing/kickboxing and I stopped doing judo because of getting thrown was way too rough. I assume that the nature of WWE is very rough on the body and creates great wear and tear.

I am curious to know how well a back can recover after a surgery and how well does it respond to MMA training? For example, would shooting for takedown be harder for the back then say getting thrown?

Also what about the kickboxing portion, If he tries to use footwork,kicks and punches, would his back slow his movements down?

My back has always bugged me," Punk told MMAFighting.com. "Figured it was just wrestling s—t. Turns out it was. It got bad enough to the point where I couldn't do anything the week before I went to train with the New Jersey Devils last month. One day I could manage, the next day I couldn't. I've been in agony for almost a month. Chiropractor, acupuncture, massage, cryotherapy ... nothing worked.”

Read more at http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Report-CM-Punk-Needs-Back-Surgery-UFC-Debut-Delayed-100043#Yqbkxg4BcRjfCcvP.99

He'll not have the same results after this injury. I doubt he will look the same as before.

I have never had a back problem but to be fair I mostly train boxing/kickboxing and I stopped doing judo because of getting thrown was way too rough. I assume that the nature of WWE is very rough on the body and creates great wear and tear.

I am curious to know how well a back can recover after a surgery and how well does it respond to MMA training? For example, would shooting for takedown be harder for the back then say getting thrown?

Also what about the kickboxing portion, If he tries to use footwork,kicks and punches, would his back slow his movements down?
Let's discuss it in 6 months.

His win streak in the UFC will come to a halt after this devastating injury.

He'll not have the same results after this injury. I doubt he will look the same as before.

That's scary considering that roufous wont even show his sparring session he had which was essentially an exhibition.

hes undefeated, clearly he has what it takes

Back injury by Twister

backbreaker.gif

CM Punk's opponents will just have to pull off this finisher, and the fight will be over.

Part of me hopes that Punk just comes out and fucks shit up by way of some closet badassery that he's kept under his hat. The other part of me hopes that Meisha Tate has fired her toilet seat and is taking applications.

For a typical person, they say you have about a 33% chance that you'll either be better, worse, or the same.

I'm sure a lot of it depends on your willingness to do the proper rehab afterwards, so pro athletes have a higher chance of being in the "better" category.

punk trains hockey too? what sport is this guy not a master of?

professional wrestler, undefeated mma fighter, god of hockey.

We had a WWE pre diverticulitis monster and now we'll have the best fighter that ever lived,undefeated in the UFC CM "pre back injury" Punk.

Sadly his undefeated streak will come to a halt now.But on a more serious note,back injuries are the worst.One day you're fine and the other day by coughing you're back is fu**** and you can't even move your fingers without feeling excrutiating pain.He shouldn't even try to fight if he's got some serious back problems.

Everyone strives to be like Back Injury. Whenever a fighter gets humbled by back injury, when they return to fight, they say "I'm Back".

Back is the Mike. Everyone wants to be like Back.

I had a hunch he would be back...

For a typical person, they say you have about a 33% chance that you'll either be better, worse, or the same.

I'm sure a lot of it depends on your willingness to do the proper rehab afterwards, so pro athletes have a higher chance of being in the "better" category.

The chances are even lower. More actual research goes up to only 1 out of 5 patients (depends on the research) who benefits from a back surgery (if there is dangerous paralysis it`s another thing). Often it is even worse.

That`s why you normally plan such an intervention very carefully with months in advance. To just decide hey my problems don`t get better lets have back surgery is literally unheard of if you inform yourself even a little bit as a patient and Brooks should have experts at hand. The window to assess if conservative methods work is normally 3 months - 1 year. Depends on your diagnose.

I just have a hard time that if the back surgery is needed Brooks did not knew about that even back in late 2015. That`s because you cannot train mma and rehab your back. He should had been in rehab for months to make this decision now. That makes the timing kind of strange.

If I would have to speculate my guess would be that the doctors told him surgery is an option in the future but as there is no imminent danger like paralysis he should first finish a conservative approach over the next months and if it does not get better get surgery. He instead opted to operate immediately.

btw. with chronic back pain a chiropractor mostly makes things worse and acupuncture also can excacerbate the symptoms because of a sensitized sympathic nerv system, especially if discs are involved. Adjuvant therapy is all about a physical therapist being competent in clinical diagnostics working close with specialized physicians.

Last edited:
Had a bulging disc a year ago and am still not fully healed. Didn't even need surgery.

He's fucked IMO.

Pretty sure every pro wrestler ever has a back injury

Back