Jones vs Gus or Rory vs Lawler 2,which fight was better...

danny23

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hard to choose for me as they're 2 my fav title fights(along with Edgar/Maynard 2).

I'll lean towards Jones/Gus(at gunpoint).

Can mods add a poll on this?
Thanks.

Well, Jones vs Gustafsson had one moment swing and Lawler vs Macdonald 2 had like several (Macdonald started well, then Lawler started to edge, then a big head kick nearly finished him, then Lawler slowly began to rise again and finally finished Macdonald). On the other hand, Gus did so much better than everyone expected, that I can't help but give this fight a nod.

jon-jones-face22.gif

jon-jones-alex-gustafsson-in-the-corner-at-the-end-of-round-4.gif

Jones/Gus

The first 3 rounds of Rory/Lawler II don't hold up as well on a rewatch for me while Jones/Gus is just as fun the whole way through even now.

jon-jones-face22.gif

jon-jones-alex-gustafsson-in-the-corner-at-the-end-of-round-4.gif

Jones/Gus

The first 3 rounds of Rory/Lawler II don't hold up as well on a rewatch for me while Jones/Gus is just as fun the whole way through even now.

It's a very well paced fight,from the beginning to the end.
While Lawler vs Rory bursts all of a sudden in the middle rounds to the end after being rather uneventful in the first.
Both great in their own right.

Jones vs. Gus I think, because it was so unexpected.

For me it was Jones vs Gustafsson.
Wasn't expecting this match would be competitive.

Round 4 and 5 in Robbie vs Rory match was insane, and very great moments.

Last edited:
Rory / Lawler wins. Fat lip vs split top lip. Jones / lawler. Forehead cut vs missing face. Gus/ Rory.

Lawler/Mac.

not only did it feature better individual moments, it was a long close fight that ended in a finish, and these are the best IMHO

Well, Jones vs Gustafsson had one moment swing and Lawler vs Macdonald 2 had like several (Macdonald started well, then Lawler started to edge, then a big head kick nearly finished him, then Lawler slowly began to rise again and finally finished Macdonald). On the other hand, Gus did so much better than everyone expected, that I can't help but give this fight a nod.

Not just one moment.
Gus was the first and the only one to force Jones to dig deep like that for a win.
Gus took him down.
Gus hit him with a spinning elbow and out-boxed him.
We'll probably never see that happen to Jones again while you could've expected MacDonald to beat Lawler.

Jones-Gustafsson is probably the better fight but it also lacks the stare down after the fourth round in Lawler-MacDonald 2, so. Kind of a wash for me.

Not just one moment.
Gus was the first and the only one to force Jones to dig deep like that for a win.
Gus took him down.
Gus hit him with a spinning elbow and out-boxed him.
We'll probably never see that happen to Jones again while you could've expected MacDonald to beat Lawler.

I know, I meant that 3.5 rounds were all controlled by Gus (I still don't understand why people are giving Jones round 2 or 3) and then it all turned around after the spinning elbow at the end of the fourth round and Gus never recovered from that. That's only one momentum swing.

Lawler/Rory easily in my book..... Jones/Gus was so good only because somebody was actually being competitive with Jones.

The fact that Jones was undefeated and considered the best fighter in the UFC makes this an easy choice. Also, I had no clue how the judges were going to score it at the time.

People might prefer the more recent match,more fresh in their memories.
I remember when Jones/Gus was thought to be better than Hendo/Rua 1.

Back