Next TS at Flyweight ?

Nightmaree

Questionmark
@Silver
Reaction score
I believe UFC should make Wilson Reis vs. Kyoji Horiguchi (since Scoggins is fighting Ngyen) and winner fight Joe B for next TS. Scoggins/Ngyen winner, Smolka and maybe Formiga are in the future mix for TS too i believe

Reis/Horigchi winner vs. Joe B - you agree ?

Benavidez is like Urijah Faber: he will crush everyone except the champion. So I'd avoid giving him any potential title challengers. Horiguchi needs to fight, I agree, but I'd match him with Formiga. I'd also make Smolka vs Reis.

Benavidez is like Urijah Faber: he will crush everyone except the champion. So I'd avoid giving him any potential title challengers
I think Joe B deserves his last chance at champion with sixth win, there are not many contenders here and many of them had bad streak (for example Cariaso, Juissier Formiga was next with win over Cejudo, who was KO'd by both Joe B and Dodson)

Joe B deserves it, based on the guys he's beat, but he's already lost twice against DJ, and it's rare guys get a third shot against someone they're down 0-2 against. If Benevidez can't get it done the third time, he either needs to move to Bantamweight, or accept that he'll never fight for the Title again (Unless DJ loses, which is extremely unlikely).

Paddy Holohan

Realistically though, Benavidez and Wilson Reis are the most likely. I don't think they should rush Horiguchi to another shot. Remember back when he said he wasn't ready? Then they gave him the first shot. He's only 25. Scoggins, Nguyen, and Smolka are also young, which is why I wouldn't include them with Benavidez and Reis.

Also, I think 2 fights down the line is too long for the Johnson/Cejudo winner to wait. That fight is in April. After potential Reis/Horiguchi and Reis/Horiguchi/Benavidez fights, a lot of time will have passed from April till that next title shot. I think they should just set up Benavidez/Reis for the shot, if not just giving it to Benavidez outright, since he just fought.

Another thing to consider is that Mighty Mouse might go up and fight the Bantamweight champion soon, which would give the Flyweight division more time to develop a contender.

Benavidez is like Urijah Faber: he will crush everyone except the champion. So I'd avoid giving him any potential title challengers. Horiguchi needs to fight, I agree, but I'd match him with Formiga. I'd also make Smolka vs Reis.
I agree with your sentiment but I think you're being hyperbolic about Benavidez's dominance. He didn't crush Makovsky or Bagautinov and hasn't been overly dominant against anyone he's faced since losing to Mighty Mouse. I wouldn't be surprised if others are capable of beating him.

Make Horiguchi vs Benavidez.
The fight would be mental.Horiguchi is just as fast as Benaviez, if not faster but has without a doubt more power than him. Benavidez on the other Hand has better wrestling.
Close contest, but Guchi would take it.

Canal Combate said during the broadcast of the last card it would be Cejudo, as a co-main for the Jones fight. They are usually right.

Back