Figured out what fight Rumble vs Bader reminded me of...

arrmike

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Coleman vs Severn. Each featured two wrestlers, one much more athletic.

The less athletic fighter tried a shot with absolutely no setup that got easily denied, The fighter that shot in never advanced back to a neutral position.

When Severn shot in, Coleman saw it a mile away and ended up gaining top position where he ended the fight with a kesa gatame style head-in-arm choke. And of course Rumble pounded the crap out of Bader.

In each case, Bader and Severn were the less athletic fighter that on paper might have had submission advantages or guile on their side. And in both cases, the winning fighter took the initial mistake and never relinquished control of the fight.

Anyone agree, or is there a better comparison for Rumble/Bader?

Severn & Coleman was so long ago that i don't remember it, but Baders shot was about as smart as this guys

giphy.gif

I haven't seen that fight in a long time but you are probably right.

Reminded me of Goodridge vs. Paul Herrera, Wanderlei Silva vs. Sakuraba, and even Arona vs. Sakuraba.

A physically more explosive fighter stopping the TD attempt, and punishing the opponent trying to take him down, and turn it into a grappling match.

Reminded me of Goodridge vs. Paul Herrera, Wanderlei Silva vs. Sakuraba, and even Arona vs. Sakuraba.

A physically more explosive fighter stopping the TD attempt, and punishing the opponent trying to take him down, and turn it into a grappling match.
Coleman didn't brutalize Severn, but the fact they were both wrestlers is interesting. And although both Severn and Bader are accomplished wrestlers, they never gained back any slight bit of advantage they conceded with their long-distance shots.

Severn & Coleman was so long ago that i don't remember it, but Baders shot was about as smart as this guys

giphy.gif
I bet on Severn against my roommate so I remember it like it was yesterday. I thought his experience would help him.

I haven't seen that fight in a long time but you are probably right.
I tried to find gifs but was unsuccessful. I wouldn't be shocked if the commentary was the same "sometimes when two wrestlers fight the difference is in the striking"

Coleman didn't brutalize Severn, but the fact they were both wrestlers is interesting. And although both Severn and Bader are accomplished wrestlers, they never gained back any slight bit of advantage they conceded with their long-distance shots.

Yeah, I can see where that fight would remind you of the Rumble/Bader fight, seeing that they're both wrestlers, and one guy was more explosive, and powerful.

For me, even though Rumble has a wrestling base, the fight felt more like he's more of an extremely powerful striker that's great at stuffing TDs, and he doesn't have a wresltjng base, like Cro Cop in his prime or something.

And yeah, I know Rumble is an extremely powerful striker that's great at stuffing TDs lol.

But I definitely see where you're coming from.

Yeah, I can see where that fight would remind you of the Rumble/Bader fight, seeing that they're both wrestlers, and one guy was more explosive, and powerful.

For me, even though Rumble has a wrestling base, the fight felt more like he's more of an extremely powerful striker that's great at stuffing TDs, and he doesn't have a wresltjng base, like Cro Cop in his prime or something.

And yeah, I know Rumble is an extremely powerful striker that's great at stuffing TDs lol.

But I definitely see where you're coming from.
And both Vader and Severn seemed to be giving up with their shot. Not even they thought they were going to take Rumble/Coleman down.

It reminded me of Rashad/Sonnen.

The athletically inferior fighter got outwrestled (granted in different ways), mounted, gave up his back, and got ground and pounded to a loss before the 1st round ended.

137_Anthony_Johnson_vs_Ryan_Bader.0.0.jpg

Rashad-Evans-vs-Chael-Sonnen-GIf.gif

maybe its just me....

it didnt remind me much of any of the fights suggested so far..

Back