Can you get knocked out and not suffer a concussion?

ClosetVitorFan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I've been looking around the Web before I decided to make this thread and I've gotten conflicting reports.

One has said that when u get knocked out from strikes. No doubt you have suffered a concussion. Basically what defines a concussion is temporary loss of brain function. And a knock out by that definition is loss o brain function.

While a few others have said. Not necessarily. You can get knocked out without suffering concussion. Albeit a bit ore rare. But u won't really know until you get evaluated by a doctor. There have been instances where a fighter was knocked out. Went to the doctor and the doctor says he didn't sustain a concussion.

So which one is it Sherbros?

no, but you can get a concussion without being knocked out.

Wrong. the answer is yes

Concussion is simply the brain hitting the cranium due to a large blow. being ko'd happens when you get clipped in the jaw area, a nervous response. the two are correlated but not the same

Goof

That I did know. But it can cut both ways I thought. Like if u get knocked out. You didn't necessarily get a concussion and if u don't get knocked out. You can still suffer a concussion.
It all depends. Makes me worry about some MMA fighters.

If a concussion is a temporary loss of brain function, wouldn't getting choked unconscious be the same. Seeing as how the lack of oxygen temporarily shuts down the brain. I could be completely wrong, never really looked into to be honest.

I've been looking around the Web before I decided to make this thread and I've gotten conflicting reports.

One has said that when u get knocked out from strikes. No doubt you have suffered a concussion. Basically what defines a concussion is temporary loss of brain function. And a knock out by that definition is loss o brain function.

While a few others have said. Not necessarily. You can get knocked out without suffering concussion. Albeit a bit ore rare. But u won't really know until you get evaluated by a doctor. There have been instances where a fighter was knocked out. Went to the doctor and the doctor says he didn't sustain a concussion.

Every Ko is probably a small concussion at the least.

Wrong. the answer is yes

Concussion is simply the brain hitting the cranium due to a large blow. being ko'd happens when you get clipped in the jaw area, a nervous response. the two are correlated but not the same

Goof

Oh you're good.

If a concussion is a temporary loss of brain function, wouldn't getting choked unconscious be the same. Seeing as how the lack of oxygen temporarily shuts down the brain. I could be completely wrong, never really looked into to be honest.
It's different being choked out. Your loss of consciousness is from lack of air or blood to the brain. Where as a knock out blow is blunt force trauma to the brain. Creating a nervous system shut off. It's different. I have really looked into it either. But I'm wanting to ask questions right now.

Yes the third guy has the answer. But it doesn't matter. If someone is knocked out in the Octagon, he/she goes straight to the hospital; no ifs ands or buts about it.

Wrong. the answer is yes

Goof
you don't know what you are talking about, troll. fuck off.

Quick, less than 2 min video that gives some of the science behind a KO

A concussion is any type of loss of brain function.

Including, being rocked/dazed/dizzy from a shot to the head. Mind you these are classified as mild concussions.

If you are knocked unconscious from a blow to the head, you are receiving a concussion.

It's different being choked out. Your loss of consciousness is from lack of air or blood to the brain. Where as a knock out blow is blunt force trauma to the brain. Creating a nervous system shut off. It's different. I have really looked into it either. But I'm wanting to ask questions right now.
Yea, I knew there was a difference between blunt force trauma and restricting the flow of blood to the brain. I just was wondering if there were similarities among the two, other than brain damage. One being caused by said blunt force trauma and the other by lack of blood and oxygen to the brain. But I honestly don't know.

Quick, less than 2 min video that gives some of the science behind a KO

Based on what I just watched, being knocked out DOES result in a concussion and several people above don't know what they're talking about.

That I did know. But it can cut both ways I thought. Like if u get knocked out. You didn't necessarily get a concussion and if u don't get knocked out. You can still suffer a concussion.
It all depends. Makes me worry about some MMA fighters.
loss of consciousness from a blow to the head is by definition a concussion (or tbi).

I'm blessing my lucky stars I never received a concussion before. There is all this new data coming out about concussions and post concussion syndrome. It sounds scary.

you get a concussion after getting ko

<--- source.. i'm a neurologist

Depends on what the definition of knockout is here... is it just including the instances of lost of consciousness?

Or does it include any form of out of commission? Because if it is the former you can get stopped by bodyshots - punches and kicks to solar plexus can easily take out someone if they aren't expecting it.

Back