6'9'' 250lbs top level athlete

Sonny Qc

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
NBA player James Johnson 6'9 250lbs Power Foward says he would love to do MMA after his NBA career is done.
Do you think such an high level athlete would have a chance to succeed in MMA in is 30's after he's done in the NBA (currently 28yrs old) Reach & size already make him interesting/marketable
Good KickBoxing background 7-0 amateur MMA, 20-0 in kickboxing
;
Johnson comes from a clan of warriors. His parents are black belts. He has eight siblings, and they are also all black belts of varying degrees. His youngest sister, about 10 years his junior, is working toward her third degree. He’s a second-degree black belt himself. His first MMA bout came at the age of 18. Johnson was declared the winner after 97 seconds. He’s fought a total of seven MMA matches and is undefeated. He’s 20-0 in all his kickboxing matches.

Link to his fighting "record"
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/fighter/James-Johnson:8E11B69F21DEC45A

Limk ; http://grantland.com/the-triangle/they-call-him-bloodsport-james-johnson-kicks-his-way-into-the-nba/

Last edited:
Of course.

Hell CM Punk is 36.

Whatever sells tickets ....right Dana?

a pic of the guy btw

Attachments

• Johnson_James_tor_141222.jpg
    Johnson_James_tor_141222.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 373
I would like to see Pat Barry brought back for JJ's first official fight.

Why wouldn't he have a chance to do well? The longer he waits obviously the less his chances get but he's already got a pretty good background and he would fight at HW where this sort of thing has happened in the past. Mitrione and Schaub were both dangerous when football didn't work out and I doubt either of them had 27 fights.

Not this again...

He could 8 feet tall with A-Z level athleticism and it wouldn't stop a guy whose been grappling most his life from taking him down and savagely beating him.

PS like how you omit what he has a black belt in.

NBA player James Johnson 6'9 250lbs Power Foward says he would love to do MMA after his NBA career is done.
Do you think such an high level athlete would have a chance to succeed in MMA in is 30's after he's done in the NBA (currently 28yrs old) Reach & size already make him interesting/marketable
Good KickBoxing background 7-0 amateur MMA, 20-0 in kickboxing
;
Johnson comes from a clan of warriors. His parents are black belts. He has eight siblings, and they are also all black belts of varying degrees. His youngest sister, about 10 years his junior, is working toward her third degree. He’s a second-degree black belt himself. His first MMA bout came at the age of 18. Johnson was declared the winner after 97 seconds. He’s fought a total of seven MMA matches and is undefeated. He’s 20-0 in all his kickboxing matches.

Limk ; http://grantland.com/the-triangle/they-call-him-bloodsport-james-johnson-kicks-his-way-into-the-nba/

So... "Can a top level, physical freak athlete that has a amassed an impressive amount of amateur MMA/kickboxing matches and has black belts in some martial arts succeed at MMA?".

The answer is yes.

I don't know, length doesn't matter as much on your back. Can he focus on TDD and moving from basketball strength to grappling/fighting functional strength? It'd be fun to see if he could

All the “A level athlete” stuff is just stupid, but of course he could be successful. According to your post, he already has been. What’s the question?

I would like to see Pat Barry brought back for JJ's first official fight.
Hopefully Barry isn't a basketball fan otherwise he would spend the whole fight hugging and bowing to him before getting stopped in the third.

I was gonna make fun of you and the guy tbh. Read your whole post and would love to see him in the ufc. At least try to make it. He has some experience and potential. It's not a scrub with no experience anyways

All the “A level athlete” stuff is just stupid, but of course he could be successful. According to your post, he already has been. What’s the question?
could he become a top 20 guy or just become the next CM Punk

Given his combat sport experience, his chances of doing well in mma are a lot better than most, but you reached that conclusion
Edit - very cool actually

Not this again...

He could 8 feet tall with A-Z level athleticism and it wouldn't stop a guy whose been grappling most his life from taking him down and savagely beating him.

PS like how you omit what he has a black belt in.

Yes, because he can't learn to grapple right?

Ronda Rousey has been grappling her whole life, guess who she just lost to. Holly Holm, A fighter who learned grappling much later than her.

could he become a top 20 guy or just become the next CM Punk

We’re talking hypothetically. I could be a top 20 fighter, hypothetically. Considering what it takes to be a top 20 heavyweight, I’d be shocked if he didn’t. And I’m not sure why you’re saying “the next CM Punk” since he hasn’t even fought yet. He could make the top 20 as well.

He makes 3mil a year for sitting on his ass. I really doubt we'll see him come over to get choked out for 5k

Considering he has actual fighting experience, I'd say he would almost certainly get into the UFC and be top 10 if he wanted.

He makes 3mil a year for sitting on his ass. I really doubt we'll see him come over to get choked out for 5k
well if he finish his career with 30 millions in the bank why would he care about the money if he want to fight?

Yes, because he can't learn to grapple right?

Ronda Rousey has been grappling her whole life, guess who she just lost to. Holly Holm, A fighter who learned grappling much later than her.

Holly Holm has been cross training for over a decade.

Striking in MUCH easier to pick up that grappling, you can't replicate years worth of grappling experience you can merely hope to defend it at best.

This isn't like fighting amateurs where mere talent or physical advantages can get you by, a guy who's been doing Sambo, BJJ, Wrestling most of their life would plant this guy very easily.

There are a few exceptions with strikers like Wonderboy, Crocop, Holm, etc... But to compare his credentials to theirs is beyond laughable

Back