Is Chad Mendes' chin deteriorating, or were the consecutive KO's a coincidence?

The Hound

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Chad made a good point on The MMA Hour when he said that McGregor didn't really ring his bell too many times. The only really bad punch was the KO shot, other than that he ate maybe like 7-8 straight lefts at most but you eat shots like that in a training camp pretty often. And its not like McGregor knocked him clean out either, it was more due to him being gassed than the shot being all that powerful IMO.

But then again, its possible that the Aldo war, then the McGregor KO and the Edgar KO consecutively ruined his chin.

Hopefully not and hopefully he can come back as good as ever.

Chad's lights went out three times in his career: 1st Aldo fight, 2nd Aldo fight (in the 1st round) and the Edgar fight. Can't really tell if his chin deteriorated, since McGregor threw the kitchen sink at him and still couldn't knock him out. And the Frankie KO was kind of odd (a hard punch in the temple and another punch on the nose).

Anyone who gets KO'd by Lil Frankie has a completely shot chin.

I think it's definitely starting to take that slide. He got put out cold by Edgar. That's a really bad sign.

Not enough time in between most likely. Sherdog knows NOTHING about chins. Everyone is a glass chin to these walking refrigerators.

Look at Anderson with his quick turnaround against Weidman how he was rocked by the clinch shot. That could be because of the quick turnaround.

Also, Barboza nearly KO'd by Castillo, (took three minutes of assault) and came back six weeks later and fought Cerrone to get dropped by a jab. Now what? His chin has been solid against far worse shots ever since he took some time.

If you look at boxing, when Manny was KOd, Freddy roach forced an entire year of no head trauma to preserve his chin. Mma guys sometimes turnaround too quickly.

Last edited:
I don't think it's deteriorated, he's just taken the top punches from the top strikers in their division. He's taken a lot of abuse overall, I think his chin is fine.

Although it's certainly feasible his chin is in decline, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't suffering, at least to some degree, from dehydro brain (aka not properly hydrated due to IV ban). Same with Aldo, whose whole camp and him specifically have have a history of shit weight cuts.

He has hate in his heart due to him thinking he is still better than Conor. He must embrace the lessons he has learned from getting to experience a master of movement first hand. People who accept that Conor was better than him such as Holloway and Porier have been getting better and better since. People who are still in disbelief are getting worse and worse like Chad and Brandao

It was great timing and a deceptively brutal shot. It snapped Mendes head while he was moving into it.

More like his defense is deteriorating

Na frankie landed a shot chad never saw coming.
Mcgregor dropped mendes because he was gassed and breathing with his mouth open.
Aldo knee was terrible, but if any thing the second fight with aldo did the most damage, chad got concusssd and still kept fighting.

Overall i think if he takes 7 months off no contact he will be fine.

Anyone who gets KO'd by Lil Frankie has a completely shot chin.
Anyone who uses the term "shot chin" without understanding what causes a KO should probably go and learn something about it first.

Chad's about one and a half foot out of the MMA already. He's riding a 3 fight losing streak with 2 brutal KOs and talking about finz and featherz while hanging out with big Timmeh. Next thing you know he's going to motivational therapy with Gus. He has a lot of decline and struggle to look forward to and I'll be watching every step of it.

It was great timing and a deceptively brutal shot. It snapped Mendes head while he was moving into it.

I think the right might have rocked him more. The KO punch catches him on the nose and I don't see Mendes momentum moving into the shot - his head looks stationary to me.

Whatever about his chin being gone or not, he should look to his team-mate (Chris Holdsworth) who had a concussion from sparring with head gear on, IIRC. In the second Aldo fight he was tagged well after the bell and got clipped before that but got straight back up. Even in the KO there he looks like he was out of momentarily and ready to pop back up, but the ref had pulled Edgar away at that point so he might have gone limp if it was let go any longer.

One rattle of the brain hitting the skull and that's all it takes for some fighters to never recover. At least now they're bringing in concussion and cognitive tests after a fighter is KO'd.

But you would be KO'd stiff as a corpse, is your chin shot?

Sure but I would have been KO'd by Aldo in 10 seconds. Not last 5 rounds with him like Mendes did the second fight.

Try again, buddy.

I think the right might have rocked him more. The KO punch catches him on the nose and I don't see Mendes momentum moving into the shot - his head looks stationary to me.
I see people saying this all the time, I don't know how you can miss the punch landing on the cheek bone and jarring his head.

I see people saying this all the time, I don't know how you can miss the punch landing on the cheek bone and jarring his head.

It looks like the right hits him on the temple and fazes him, then the left hits him on the nose. I definitely see his head rocking to the side after the left hook.

It needs super, super, slow mo for full confirmation.

Let's see how his next fight goes. He's been fighting top competition so those guys are suppose to hit hard. If he gets crumpled again then the answer might be yes.

He wasn't known for having the best chin and almost got KO'd twice by Aldo.

Got KO'd a bunch of times now and doesn't have the best defense. I expect him to get KO'd again if he faces another top guy.

Back