Does Tyron Woodley really deserves a title shot?

Giovanefugazza

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I mean, beating a fat Kelvin Gastellum and Dong Hyum Kim doesn't really say thaat much.

Plus that is a two fight win streak, before that he had lost a unanimous decision to Rory.

Plus he complains every time someone implies he should get a fight. the dude is 33 years old and he is not getting younger.

Meanwhile Stephen thompson is in a 6 fight win streak, and Demian Maia is in a 4 fight win streak

Here's a better question. Does anyone want to see Woodley get a title shot?

Wonderboy and Maia (if he beats Brown) are ahead of Woodley.

But how in the motherfuck is finishing DHK not saying much? Condit got a shot at it after finishing him and that was 5 years ago.

Last edited:
He's one of the less impressive top 5 fighters in any division that's for sure.

He's only ranked above Wonderboy and Hendrick because Hendricks didn't make weight. Love T-wood but that's some bullshit

Woodley is a solid fighter, but I do think Wonderboy just made his case to move to the front of the line with that type of a one-sided beatdown over Hendricks.

Short answer: Nope.

He decided to sit out for title shot that wasn't guaranteed in the first place. Within 72 hours of Hendricks missing weight for their fight, the title shot was in question. He could've fought once again and put himsef in a much better position, but he gambled and lost. Thomson did the unthinkable and made Hendricks look like an amateur. That single win is more impressive that a split decision over Gastelum, who was sick as hell, and Stungun.

Here's a better question. Does anyone want to see Woodley get a title shot?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

cc_knee-gif.gif

I mean, beating a fat Kelvin Gastellum and Dong Hyum Kim doesn't really say thaat much.

Plus that is a two fight win streak, before that he had lost a unanimous decision to Rory.

Plus he complains every time someone implies he should get a fight. the dude is 33 years old and he is not getting younger.

Meanwhile Stephen thompson is in a 6 fight win streak, and Demian Maia is in a 4 fight win streak

Gastelum's a good fighter, he beat Hall, Story, Ellenberger and Marquardt and he's not even 25. Kim's a lot better than he's been given credit for lately too and has beat Burkman and Waters since losing to Woodley.

Over seeing Wonderboy or Condit?...I don't think so...

Read my first post brah, impossible to deny Wonderboy. I agree that Condit won the Lawler fight, but Woodley took it to Condit and "finished" him. I also see him winning that fight a second time around.

Tyrone was not on a 2 fight win streak...
after condit
tumblr_n76z7tL0He1rofocqo1_400.gif
g6_RoA.gif

Wonderboy has 6...don't make it look like those gif are consecutive wins without that macdonald loss...

If anyone looks at it that way thats their own dumb fault. Rory took it to Woodley no doubt, but Woodley poses different problems for Lawler than Rory does and thats indisputable. Just like how Wonderboy poses different problems for Lawler.

Nope. He's been out a year and on a two fight win streak. 1 KO win over DHK (solid but a long time ago) and a split decision boring fight against Kevin Gastelum. That's worthy of a title shot?

Woodley reminds me of Stipe where they don't count their losses and act like they should still be in line for at title. Thompson is on a 6 fight win streak and just KO'ed the former WW champion who has never been stopped. It's also a more marketable and better stylistic match against Lawler. It's an easy decision in my eyes. Stop promising title shots to guys that don't deserve it.

Absolutely not. And Woodley has a virtually non-existent fan base.
Surely it won't be Woodley/Lawler at UFC 200? Surely Woodley and his team know his promised shot is lost. Frankly, Condit, Thompson, and Maia should all be ahead of him at this point IMO. Not to mention the possibility of GSP returning.
Personally, I would try and make Maia/Woodley or Condit/Woodley depending on what happens with Maia/Brown, and do Thompson/Lawler at 200.
If GSP ends up in the mix, then do Maia/Woodley and Condit/Thompson. If GSP were ever going to come back, you would think that this would be the time, with Lawler the champ and Hendricks and Rory out of the picture for a while.
WW has suddenly become crowded, and Woodley will most likely get pushed out.

If anyone looks at it that way thats their own dumb fault. Rory took it to Woodley no doubt, but Woodley poses different problems for Lawler than Rory does and thats indisputable. Just like how Wonderboy poses different problems for Lawler.
So it's a dumb fault if it doesn't go with your opinion huh? After that lost to Mcdonald, Woodley should dropped rank. Then turned down fight with Lombard....It's his own dumb fault if UFC doesn't grant him a shot.

Back