To think that RDA could've easily been cut and we wouldn't have batted an eye

RiotWyatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
In his debut he got KTFO'd by Jeremy Stephens, who at the time was a 2-2 guy who then loss 2 in a row right afterwards.

Then he immediately lost again to Tyson Griffin who went 2-4 after beating him and subsequently got cut by the UFC.

That could've been it. The UFC could've cut him. His only saving grace was that Griffin was a top guy and RDA's fight with him was close and exciting.

In a way though, those losses were a blessing in disguise as RDA was relegated to facing weaker competition where he went 3-0, allowing him to improve his game before getting a step back up in competition and we all know the story from there. Stephens and Griffin however continued facing the top guys and couldn't cut it.

From 2010-2016, in 14 fights, RDA has had probably the best strength of schedule.

Last edited:
This puny mortal shall be reminded why challenging a god isn't such a good idea.

You have to go back one more year, but I think Frankie Edgar had a tougher 14 fight stretch.

Maybe even Hendricks too and those are just the first two I thought of.

But yes, it is trippy the champ would have probably got cut after his second fight nowadays. Makes me wonder if any future champs have been cut recently.

He was thrown to the wolves both Griffin and Stephens were highly regarded at the time and the fights were barnburners.

In his debut he got KTFO'd by Jeremy Stephens, who at the time was a 2-2 guy who then loss 2 in a row right afterwards.

Then he immediately lost again to Tyson Griffin who went 2-4 after beating him and subsequently got cut by the UFC.

That could've been it. The UFC could've cut him. His only saving grace was that Griffin was a top guy and RDA's fight with him was close and exciting.

In a way though, those losses were a blessing in disguise as RDA was relegated to facing weaker competition where he went 3-0, allowing him to improve his game before getting a step back up in competition and we all know the story from there. Stephens and Griffin however continued facing the top guys and couldn't cut it.

From 2010-2016, in 14 fights, RDA has had probably the best strength of schedule.
he hit puberty in his 30s

The toughest schedule of anyone in mma over those six years? Jon Jones, JDS, Condit, Henricks, Aldo, Frankie, Ben Henderson, Donald Cerrone, Daniel Cormier, etc etc....

Anyone who has been a consistent top 5 guy for the past 5 years has had at least a comparable, if not definitively better, strength of schedule.

I will say that if you start in 2014 instead of 2010, he has had an extremely tough schedule. He very well may have had the toughest 2 year stretch of any fighter in that period.

I got a different question: What are examples of fighters getting cut (as opposed to contract not extended etc.) only to return later and become champions?

Werdum I guess?
Lawler?

Any other examples?

Doubt he wuld have been cut, he was easily winning the Stephens fight and got caught, then of course a loss to highly regarded Tyson Griffin in a exciting fight was nothing to be ashamed of...even if he was cut he would have fought his way back to the UFC.

Regardless, i never thought I would be a fan. dude was never even a fighter that crossed my mind,until he crushed my boy Bendo..

His turn around has been amazing. Horse meat has been good to a lot of mma champs.

Back