Has anyone ever submitted a "tainted supplement" product sample?

JT RIPPER

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
As we sit here and listen to this excuse yet again, has anyone ever actually surrendered a bottle/container of the tainted supplements? I know it wouldn't release them from responsibility but at least it could go a long way in the fans eyes if they could actually believe that BS for once.

Do you think the commissions would consider them innocent if they actually had proof?

Only supps I've ever known that could give a positive were the prohormone stuff.

But I'm not buying the vast majority of athletes who use those tainted supplement claims. Most likely they are juiced to the damn gills, and just don't have the proper masking protocols in place for the substance they were using.

This is a tricky precedence for usada to be lenient, even if it was negligence

It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks.

Didn't Anderson show up with his blue penis liquid thing?

I think Lombard tried to do the same thing when he blamed some Olympic chick.

I could be making it up, but I think these two tried to offer up samples and the commission didn't give a shit.

If you consider horse piss to be a "product", then Thiago Silva is the godfather of submitting products for piss tests in mma.

I think it would be interesting if a commission decided to call them out on their BS excuses, like submit the product in question for further testing

Ts think this through. ....
That's like asking if anyone has ever taken a vile of testosterone into the commission and told them the dealer put to much in the vile and that's why his levels are through the roof.

Sherk produced tainted samples and got his suspension reduced as I recall. I'm also fairly certain that Sherk's case was the origin of the "you're responsible for whatever you put in your body" policy.

Yeah when I return a positive test I'll just squirt a few milligrams of Trenbolone into my water bottle and send it in to USADA and say 'this was my contaminated water'.

Strong defense.

There were a few studies done back in 2002, 2004 that showed supps like protein powders/creatine/etc were contaminated with 'steroids'. Thats far back when prohormones were not illegal so the packaging equipment could've been cross-contaminated without proper cleaning. It could be different now.

http://www.crankcycling.com/how-often-are-supplements-tainted-or-contaminated/
http://www.usada.org/resources/nutrition/vitamins-minerals-and-other-supplements/
https://www.edb.utexas.edu/ssn/SN_Papers/IOC alert-Supplement.pdf

It would really be hard for them to do.

If they give their personal supply whats to say they didn't taint it themselves?

If they give a sealed supply there's a chance that the supplement isn't tainted, either that the fighters sample was cross-contaminated or similar to what happened to some supplements that were caught adding a steroid in their early releases to boost their results in tests.

The UFC find a way to get into the NFL's system, where they have a number for players to call to see about "approved" supplements. I think the NFL actually gets random products and tests them to see if there's anything that would set off their tests and warns players, though I know they are very strict, most likely stricter than the UFC.

I think it would be interesting if a commission decided to call them out on their BS excuses, like submit the product in question for further testing

They did, they tested the product that he used.

I believe king moe used that excuse?

But its a fact that tainited supplements are out there because the companies dont clean there vats properly .

Even if its true i doubt he will escape with a warning they may be lenient and maybe do an 8 month suspension .

I know a lot of you guys aren't aware how these things work, but I'll give a little background.

Supplements aren't regulated by the FDA. The shit you buy at GNC or whatever is made isn't required by law to be regulated unless there is evidence of harm. Lots of times the batches become contaminated. Possible reasons can include poor bench work chemistry. There have been many cases where companies have been sued and deaths have been attributed in some instances of contaminated products. This could happen by a number of ways. Company can put a research chemical/hormone in product on purpose or it can be simply sloppy chemistry.

Not defending the guy, he is most likely guilty, but this shit does happen and there is plenty of evidence. It's a valid excuse. I'm on my phone or I'd cite sources, but try a Google search or if you have it pubmed

Didn't Anderson show up with his blue penis liquid thing?

I think Lombard tried to do the same thing when he blamed some Olympic chick.

I could be making it up, but I think these two tried to offer up samples and the commission didn't give a shit.

Anderson made up that excuse and didn't bring shit. :D

Doubt Lombard did either.

Anyone that believes Lombard probably believed Chael and Overeem too.

Back