Grapplers that think they can Strike

DhalpsdaDocta

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
As we just saw with Jonny Hendricks, there is basically no amount of training he can do in the striking department to ever be able to compete with Wonderboi on the feet. Yet, when asked after the fight he thought i just need to work on this striking and that striking...

The truth is what he needs to do just like what Rousey needs to do is work on using their grappling (their strength) and not try to stand and fight with a boxing world champion or an undefeated kickboxing phenom.

Work on taking the grappling to the next level...You think Ben Askren would try to stand and fight with Wonderboi? No he is not a fucking moron...I seriously wonder about some of the coaching some of these fighters are getting..Jonny goes for one takedown, nearly has it, then gives up?

There have been plenty of grapplers that have learned how to strike and do it very well. The problem isn't a grappler making the transition, Hendrix has turned some top guy's lights outs.

And in this fight he tried to grapple and failed on both TDs. His lack of success wasn't for lack of trying. Especially when taking into account Wonderboy's reach advantage and movement.

Well it all comes down to the TD threat. See Weidman v Anderson. A far inferior striker looked better on the feet due to the TD threat. Once that threat is removed or limited a wrestler will be exposed. Why? It's easy. These guys have wrestled their whole lives. They have been striking only a handful of years.

The great thing about MMA though is that any strength can mask a weakness if that strength is strong enough.

Wonderboi? I can't get past that.

FamiliarGlamorousFulmar-size_restricted.gif

I don't think he was trying to fight a stand up match, but it starts on the feet.
His striking has to be good enough to get him into a position to use his wrestling effectively.
He isn't going to be able to out-strike Wonderboy, nor do I think he believes this.
He does however have to ability to KO anyone if he can land one, which is not the same thing.

My personal favourites:

Dustin Hazelett vs Paul Daley
Demian Maia vs Nate Marquardt
Fabricio Werdum vs Junior Dos Santos

Wonder Womyn

Know having power encourage the KO win hunger

And when you're loosing feel like the only chance to win

It's not strange

Well it all comes down to the TD threat. See Weidman v Anderson. A far inferior striker looked better on the feet due to the TD threat. Once that threat is removed or limited a wrestler will be exposed. Why? It's easy. These guys have wrestled their whole lives. They have been striking only a handful of years.

The great thing about MMA though is that any strength can mask a weakness if that strength is strong enough.
Yup. People would argue that Ronda striking was good, heck some even said great, before she was horrible exposed.

The big problem is that if you do not pose any standing threat then you better have a near unstoppable takedown because with no striking threat getting the td gets way harder (see Maia when he fights the top 5 (not named Sonnen or Fitch) at either MW or WW) and grapplers get ktfo.

DHK

I still think if he fought his game and didn't think he was a karate champ he would have beat Woodley. Instead he got KTFO.

As we just saw with Jonny Hendricks, there is basically no amount of training he can do in the striking department to ever be able to compete with Wonderboi on the feet. Yet, when asked after the fight he thought i just need to work on this striking and that striking...

The truth is what he needs to do just like what Rousey needs to do is work on using their grappling (their strength) and not try to stand and fight with a boxing world champion or an undefeated kickboxing phenom.

Work on taking the grappling to the next level...You think Ben Askren would try to stand and fight with Wonderboi? No he is not a fucking moron...I seriously wonder about some of the coaching some of these fighters are getting..Jonny goes for one takedown, nearly has it, then gives up?
Ryan Hall

If one ever scores a ko then they tend to turn that way.

Back