Will Benson Henderson's Defection Seduce Younger Fighters?

Xtal

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Title is the question. We all know that quite a few veteran fighters are displeased with the Reebok deal, and those with established names in the UFC can leave to hit up Bellator, lend them their name brand, make good pay and have sponsorship freedom. Thomson and Henderson aren't some low level bums by any stretch of the imagination and will definitely be among the highest paid in the organization; Thomson's last reported UFC payout was $85k in a loss to Tony Ferguson, and claims he is making more in Bellator.

We've seen some low pay in the UFC for newer fighters, but we've also seen regional circuit guys fight in Bellator make in the hundreds of dollars, while longtime veterans like Manhoef and others only make $10k or less on main card fights. Do the recent defections to Bellator extend to the lesser known fighters who don't have that kind of name brand bargaining power and big sponsors, or even younger fighters with a lot of hype behind them?

LKgdNUd.png

fmyDruD.jpg

The best fighters will always go wherever the money is.

Defection? Would you quit your minimum wage job for a better paid one? Would you defect Mcdonalds for KFC if the offered more cash?

Defection? Would you quit your minimum wage job for a better paid one? Would you defect Mcdonalds for KFC if the offered more cash?
My point is more along the lines of whether the new additions to Bellator of guys who weren't UFC dropouts but legitimate contenders affect younger prospects who don't have the bargaining power now to make big money in either organization, but might see a future in Bellator with legitimate contenders changing ship, rather than the UFC. UFC is more guaranteed money up front for younger fighters who make the cut, no question about that, but with the addition of these guys and others to Bellator, it opens up opportunities for younger fighters to get bigger name fights sooner, rather than having to work their way up in the UFC, or get lucky like McGregor.

Young fighters don't dream about fighting in Bellator, they dream of fighting in the UFC.

Title is the question. We all know that quite a few veteran fighters are displeased with the Reebok deal, and those with established names in the UFC can leave to hit up Bellator, lend them their name brand, make good pay and have sponsorship freedom. Thomson and Henderson aren't some low level bums by any stretch of the imagination and will definitely be among the highest paid in the organization; Thomson's last reported UFC payout was $85k in a loss to Tony Ferguson, and claims he is making more in Bellator.

We've seen some low pay in the UFC for newer fighters, but we've also seen regional circuit guys fight in Bellator make in the hundreds of dollars, while longtime veterans like Manhoef and others only make $10k or less on main card fights. Do the recent defections to Bellator extend to the lesser known fighters who don't have that kind of name brand bargaining power and big sponsors, or even younger fighters with a lot of hype behind them?

LKgdNUd.png

fmyDruD.jpg
Not young fighters, Older more established fighters though with start heading that way.

Thing is bellator wont want you unless you already have recognition value which younger fighters usually lack.

My point is more along the lines of whether the new additions to Bellator of guys who weren't UFC dropouts but legitimate contenders affect younger prospects who don't have the bargaining power now to make big money in either organization, but might see a future in Bellator with legitimate contenders changing ship, rather than the UFC.

I think fighting the best fighters is somewhat overrated when it means selling yourself short its more a marketing term by the UFC.

Maybe Bensons move to Bellator will inspire younger fighters to shop around before taking a shit wage from the UFC.

Seduce... you're fucking kidding me right ? How many accounts you got on here ? Please tell me the names, so I can put them all on ignore.

If anything, it will seduce older fighters.

Bellator pay good money only to former UFC fighters.

Almost all fighters will go to whereever they expect will make them the most money. If Viacom wants to lend the money to make other big offers I think more would obviously follow. I think its important for them to throw money at a guy like Sterling even if it isn't a profitable move in itself. They need to make a splash while they have the media attention to show all UFC guys they should try out free agency so they will have a chance at more guys than usually reach that point.

Its always the journeymen who get screwed in these monetary issues and that's why only they will "Defect". Those who used to be at or near the top but don't get the same treatment anymore. Also Bensons 4 split wins in the last 10 despite the quality talent don't give a lasting impression of a dominating fighter.

Young guys know UFC is the pinnacle of mma currently and don't wanna jump off that.

Young fighters don't dream about fighting in Bellator, they dream of fighting in the UFC.
Yeah, that's how it's always been, but when you're coming up and seeing top fighters get into battles with Reebok about pay, it's gotta be a little disheartening for somebody trying to move up the ranks into the big leagues to hear guys talk like that.

If anything, it will seduce older fighters.
Right, but I'm talking more the effects of them getting these older, established fighters to jump ship and whether that will be incentive for younger fighters to join Bellator in order to fast track their way to a big matchup against these veterans. A couple years ago these guys would be working their way up the ranks to fight....Ben Askren? Douglas Lima? Now they win a couple fights and they're fighting Bendo or Thomson.

Back