% Women training MMA in Gyms

LordFarthing

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
For those that train MMA or go to MMA gyms, would ratio or percent would you put at the number of women that train compared to men?

From what I've heard/read its somewhere around 5%-15%, wondering if someone had a different opinion.

a low percentage. around 1-5%. and people still seem to rever female champs as great as male champions. it's not sexist, it's statistics. I can name 10-15 friends who are guys who train. zero who are females. the competition in wmma is easier than ufc 1.

For those that train MMA or go to MMA gyms, would ratio or percent would you put at the number of women that train compared to men?

From what I've heard/read its somewhere around 5%-15%, wondering if someone had a different opinion.
We are like 8/50 in BJJ, 4/20 in Muay Thay, and 2 of them do mixed sparring (I don't)

So over 20% means you will begin your training?

There are plenty of women in the jiujitsu gym I go to. Some pretty good ones, at that. However, most of them are there for the fitness aspect. They aren't trying to be champions.
However, at the MT gym, there are less women who all train hard.

To be logical, all you'll hear on Sherdog are personal opinions and they will be different. I'd be incredibly difficult to say how many women train at the average martial arts gym, as you'd need the numbers from all of them. Also, people who train in a more densely populated area will most likely train with more women(I live in Chicago, so there are tons of people at they gyms I frequent.)

TL;DR it'll vary from person to person depending on a ton of different factors. I'd assume the total percentage to be less than half. From what I've seen, it's about 30-45%

There are plenty of women in the jiujitsu gym I go to. Some pretty good ones, at that. However, most of them are there for the fitness aspect. They aren't trying to be champions.
However, at the MT gym, there are less women who all train hard.

To be logical, all you'll hear on Sherdog are personal opinions and they will be different. I'd be incredibly difficult to say how many women train at the average martial arts gym, as you'd need the numbers from all of them. Also, people who train in a more densely populated area will most likely train with more women(I live in Chicago, so there are tons of people at they gyms I frequent.)

TL;DR it'll vary from person to person depending on a ton of different factors. I'd assume the total percentage to be less than half. From what I've seen, it's about 30-45%
Much lower than 30~45 % lol

You just named BJJ and MT neither of which is MMA and even in those respective arts the numbers are much lower.

I'd say it's less than 10% of females trains MMA.

About 0.01% - You wanna know the easiest way to find out if a gym is legit or glorified boxercise club? See if there are female instructors. Female instructors = Run away…

Yeah, I'd say low. The Muay Thai gyms around me are more like 50-60%, though.

When I trained in BJJ, there was only 3 females who trained and one who came regularly.

Yeah, I'd say low. The Muay Thai gyms around me are more like 50-60%, though.
Muay thai gyms around you are 50~60% females? Are you mixing cardio kickboxing class as muay thai gym or something? Just think about how many of them does sparring classes.

Much lower than 30~45 % lol

You just named BJJ and MT neither of which is MMA and even in those respective arts the numbers are much lower.

I'd say it's less than 10% of females trains MMA.
I mean, I no longer attend an MMA gym so I can't speak on the current number but when I did there seemed to be plenty of ladies there.
I just don't want to assume. The MT class I attend is after an MMA class and a few of my lady friends there also take that class, but I obviously am in no position to speak on their attendance.

I find it funny that you would jump on those arts as not being MMA, as they are crucial aspects of the sport. When I did go to an MMA gym, I would argue that the amount of people there training solely MMA was incredibly low. Most everyone stayed for the BJJ/Judo/Boxing classes that also took place there.

Anyway, since we're both arguing through personal experience it's pretty silly to continue. You could train at a gym with no girls and I could train at a gym with 99% of the students being female, and we wouldn't know the national, or international, percentage of women in the average MMA gym.

http://mainemartialarts.com/martial-arts/martial-arts-statistics-demographics-people-practice/

^ that is an article talking about Martial arts participation in Maine, and is the best thing I could find numbers wise. Again, we will never be able to reach an actual number by just guessing. There are too many circumstances to consider. Personal experience is only worth so much.

a low percentage. around 1-5%. and people still seem to rever female champs as great as male champions. it's not sexist, it's statistics. I can name 10-15 friends who are guys who train. zero who are females. the competition in wmma is easier than ufc 1.
I didn't realize you trained at every gym in the world.
Saying you personally don't know any women who train MMA is silly. You could know 1 or 2 women, as far as we know(not saying that is so, but it is something to consider).
If you wanted to have a legitimate statistic, you would need a much larger sampling size. What type of testing would you use? Spearman correlation? T Tests? How many groups are you comparing? What are the variables?

I didn't realize you trained at every gym in the world.
Saying you personally don't know any women who train MMA is silly. You could know 1 or 2 women, as far as we know(not saying that is so, but it is something to consider).
If you wanted to have a legitimate statistic, you would need a much larger sampling size. What type of testing would you use? Spearman correlation? T Tests? How many groups are you comparing? What are the variables?
why the fuck would I use a T-test to find out a simple percentage?

I have a degree in maths/stats, don't try to act smart on an mma forum. pathetic.

I mean, I no longer attend an MMA gym so I can't speak on the current number but when I did there seemed to be plenty of ladies there.
I just don't want to assume. The MT class I attend is after an MMA class and a few of my lady friends there also take that class, but I obviously am in no position to speak on their attendance.

I find it funny that you would jump on those arts as not being MMA, as they are crucial aspects of the sport. When I did go to an MMA gym, I would argue that the amount of people there training solely MMA was incredibly low. Most everyone stayed for the BJJ/Judo/Boxing classes that also took place there.

Anyway, since we're both arguing through personal experience it's pretty silly to continue. You could train at a gym with no girls and I could train at a gym with 99% of the students being female, and we wouldn't know the national, or international, percentage of women in the average MMA gym.

http://mainemartialarts.com/martial-arts/martial-arts-statistics-demographics-people-practice/

^ that is an article talking about Martial arts participation in Maine, and is the best thing I could find numbers wise. Again, we will never be able to reach an actual number by just guessing. There are too many circumstances to consider. Personal experience is only worth so much.
Dude you seem totally confused. Read the thread title again.
Women training MMA in Gyms

Not women training MT or BJJ. You are saying if you are a boxer you train mixed martial arts LOL

The link you provided gave the stats to the people who have done marital arts... not mixed martial arts.

I hope you understand what MMA is.

Back