Rothwell fighting a guy coming off of a loss...

LilNubi

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Seems like a slap in the face, no?

Former champ who is coming off a loss in a de-facto title eliminator? Not a huge slap in the face, as a win puts him up there w/ overeem/Stipe/et al.

Not really. He's fighting a former champ, and I'm pretty sure if he wins he'll get a guaranteed title shot.

No, JDS is still probably ranked higher than Big Ben.

Any opponent ranked higher is good for business for Rothwell.

no its not. If they arent gonna give him a title shot,they ARE giving him a big fucking name,a fight people will really be interested in.

Former champ who is coming off a loss in a de-facto title eliminator? Not a huge slap in the face, as a win puts him up there w/ overeem/Stipe/et al.

The idea that he needs a win to be up there with Overeem is what constitutes the slap in the face.

After a 4 fight win streak including Overeem and Barnett...he's obviously not a favored son.

Well alright, thanks for the replies.

Personally, I already had him ranked the same as Stipe.

The idea that he needs a win to be up there with Overeem is what constitutes the slap in the face.
Meh, I liken him to Okami/fitch in the fact that he's got to do WAY more work than someone like Sonnen to get a title shot. even though Overeem lost to Ben, he beat JDS and is on a decent win streak of his own, and has beaten 2 former UFC HW Champs in his last 5. Barnett is revered on here, but his recent resume has been lacking. Ben needs not just a win, but a "big" win to introduce him as a "title contender." UFC doesn't make matches based on validity of their claim or win-streaks, they want fighters they can market. Which is why we haven't had a UFC HW title fight in... what 14 months or something ridiculous.

He already deserves a shot more than Overeem & stipe.

Meh, I liken him to Okami/fitch in the fact that he's got to do WAY more work than someone like Sonnen to get a title shot. even though Overeem lost to Ben, he beat JDS and is on a decent win streak of his own, and has beaten 2 former UFC HW Champs in his last 5. Barnett is revered on here, but his recent resume has been lacking. Ben needs not just a win, but a "big" win to introduce him as a "title contender." UFC doesn't make matches based on validity of their claim or win-streaks, they want fighters they can market. Which is why we haven't had a UFC HW title fight in... what 14 months or something ridiculous.

If Overeem is a contender and is on a good streak, then isn't he a big name? I have no problem with Rothwell needing another win. I think it is often unwise to sit out like Woodley has chosen to do at WW. It's the idea that he is behind Overeem in the title shot queue, which ought not to be the case.

it seems to me a step up in competition.

he needs to beat the guy who got beat by the guy he destroyed to get a title shot

If Overeem is a contender and is on a good streak, then isn't he a big name? I have no problem with Rothwell needing another win. I think it is often unwise to sit out like Woodley has chosen to do at WW. It's the idea that he is behind Overeem in the title shot queue, which ought not to be the case.
Can't argue with the logic there. But the resume's side by side? BOTH are pretty weak, but Overeem might sell more PPV's, and both of them are theoretically in line for a while with everyone sitting on the sidelines and/or getting hurt. I'd say he's up there with Overeem/Stipe, but as long as it's matchmakers at the UFC deciding who gets the fight? He's a distant #3 in that lineup

JDS will demonstrate why Rothwell should not get a title shot.

Bye bye title shot JDS gonna KO him. JDS won't hold back like he did against Overeem mark my words.

Yes it is. Rothwell deserves a bigger fight.

He already deserves a shot more than Overeem & stipe.
Alright, can we fuckin stop with this?

Not even close. Mitrione, Vera and Barnett are totally negligible. He didn't even look good against Barnett. Wins alone aren't enough. Strength of schedule is huge.

Stipe's last three opponents were all top 3!

He's far and away the most deserving

It makes it seem like Rothwell is trailing behind Overeem when he should be ahead.

Back