Are strikers taking back the UFC?

Rubberman1

John Rambo Life Lessons
@purple
Reaction score
Conor and Wonderboy look pretty much the same kind of fighter. Conor may be more fluid than Wonderboy, but Wonderboy is a fair amount bigger and has better kicks.

Once Conor destroys RDA it will seem like strikers have taken over the UFC.

Werdum & RDA beg to differ. Also, Dana is protecting the WW division from Maia. Maia is the uncrowned WW champ.

So, HW, LHW, and MW with champs who either come from or primarily use grappling don't count?

Wonderboy would kick Maia's head off, as would Conor.

Werdum cant even be called a pure grappler anymore,despite his background. His striking has been the deciding factor in almost all his fights latley. RDA beasted Cerrone so bad its a disservice to just call him a grappler. MMA fighters are using more striking to decide their fights latley,i guess you could just say that

So, HW, LHW, and MW with champs who either come from or primarily use grappling don't count?

Rockhold is primarily a striker dude. He wins with his striking setup and his length. He may grab submissions but its only due to his length and striking ability.

Werdum cant even be called a pure grappler anymore,despite his background. His striking has been the deciding factor in almost all his fights latley.
It's much easier to strike in MMA when you know that if you DO get taken down, you're just going into a position you already feel comfortable in.

Mighty Mouse - no one cares
Cruz, striker.
Conor, striker.
Conor, striker.
Lawler striker / Wonderboy (uncrowned champ) striker.
Rockhold Striker
Cormier wrestler / Bones (uncrowned champ) mostly striker.
Werdum striking has been his biggest asset recently

It's much easier to strike in MMA when you know that if you DO get taken down, you're just going into a position you already feel comfortable in.

Not only that but you utilize the threat of your takedown to set it up ala Werdum vs Mark Hunt,or Khabib against Tavares etc.

or your like Romero,who looks like he mostly uses his wrestling in reserve if he needs it cos he loves to strike and is quite good at it

Rockhold is primarily a striker dude. He wins with his striking setup and his length. He may grab submissions but its only due to his length and striking ability.
so, my "coming from grappling" comment didn't really get through to you did it? Luke started judo when he was 6. That's grappling. He's got a STELLAR grappling base, which means he can go all out on the feet and be far less worried about a TD.

Seems like every chap used to come from a grappling background. Now there are several who don't. I'm not sure it's some sort of MMA-wide phenomenon, but it is at least a slight swinging of the pendulum in the upper echelons of some UFC divisions.

Maurice Smith vs Mark Coleman at UFC 14 was when things started shifting in favour of strikers

and Primarily a striker? Jesus have you even watched him in SF?

so, my "coming from grappling" comment didn't really get through to you did it? Luke started judo when he was 6. That's grappling. He's got a STELLAR grappling base, which means he can go all out on the feet and be far less worried about a TD.
Being 6'4, taller than your opponent with longer reach also helps a lot when it comes to whatever you want to do in MMA.

Werdum cant even be called a pure grappler anymore,despite his background. His striking has been the deciding factor in almost all his fights latley. RDA beasted Cerrone so bad its a disservice to just call him a grappler. MMA fighters are using more striking to decide their fights latley,i guess you could just say that

Yeah, Cordeiro has really added to their game with the stand-up. I never thought I'd see Werdum finishing someone with a knee from the clinch or Dos Anjos out-strike Pettis.

All champs are well rounded fighters, with the exception of Conor. I'm sure he's working hard on his ground game w/ Gunnar in the same camp

Back