WTF Hendricks

snapster

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Ok, let me start by admitting that yes, like 95% of you sherdog weens out there, I don't do MMA, I don't fight people, so I really have no business judging the professionals out there...
BUT, when I see shit like Hendricks-Wonderboy, I'm just like WTF....Before the fight, someone interviewed Johny and asked him if, with a guy with great stand-up like Thompson, if he thinks more about going back to his wrestling base. Hendricks' reply? "Why does everyone always doubt my standup?"
Seeing him in the fight JUST STANDING IN FRONT of Wonderboy, getting tagged again and again makes me think Hendricks is like delusional about his skills or something. Sure, he hits hard, but I'm not even sure I saw him hit Wonderboy.
Does Hendricks thinks "stand-up" literally means just standing up in front of the other guy?
Why are fighters so delusional about their skills? It's why I like seeing a guy like Demian Maia. He knows what he's good at, and plays to his strength.

Plenty of mma fighters have good striking but dont have good footwork. Hendricks would hardly be the first.

What did you expect him to do, Wonderboy was clearly the better fighter. "He should of just knocked him out bro!"

Ok, let me start by admitting that yes, like 95% of you sherdog weens out there, I don't do MMA, I don't fight people, so I really have no business judging the professionals out there...
BUT, when I see shit like Hendricks-Wonderboy, I'm just like WTF....Before the fight, someone interviewed Johny and asked him if, with a guy with great stand-up like Thompson, if he thinks more about going back to his wrestling base. Hendricks' reply? "Why does everyone always doubt my standup?"
Seeing him in the fight JUST STANDING IN FRONT of Wonderboy, getting tagged again and again makes me think Hendricks is like delusional about his skills or something. Sure, he hits hard, but I'm not even sure I saw him hit Wonderboy.
Does Hendricks thinks "stand-up" literally means just standing up in front of the other guy?
Why are fighters so delusional about their skills? It's why I like seeing a guy like Demian Maia. He knows what he's good at, and plays to his strength.
Well Maia turned into a striker too for a minute before getting blasted in like 10 seconds.

Well Maia turned into a striker too for a minute before getting blasted in like 10 seconds.

tbh he showed alot of improvement in his striking against munoz,but he still lost the fight,and its not really his forte.

What did you expect him to do, Wonderboy was clearly the better fighter. "He should of just knocked him out bro!"
I think his point is that he should have been forcing a clinch to take down from the get go, instead of , you know, standing there and head hunting for a ko

It's why I like seeing a guy like Demian Maia. He knows what he's good at, and plays to his strength.
No...Maia didn't know what he's good at at one point...he was taught a lesson to go back to what he's good at....
2wcdzd3.jpg

I think it's quite easy to feel like a badass when your striking technique and power are on point, and you can do well against sparring partners that don't employ great footwork. I'm not that great at anything MMA, especially striking (I usually just get beat up during practice), but in my experience developing power and decent defence is way easier than developing good footwork and a feel for angles. And if your sparring partners are usually there to be hit, suddenly facing someone who actually knows how to move can be quite a wakeup call. Same with Rousey, and Barao for that matter.

Hendricks got caught before he could time his planned flying scissor heel hook.

I agree with T.S.; WTF Hendricks?!? He should have shot a few takedowns. I'm not talking about the terrible-looking, desperation takedowns he tried after he already had his bell rung. He needed to do a better job of setting up his takedowns!! Half of the takedown is the setup; every wrestler knows this. I dunno, maybe Thompson's side stance confused him. Either way, I am sooo fricken pissed it is literally eating me up!!

I put $200 down on a 4 Leg Parlay. I needed Burkman, Benavidez, Nelson, and Hendricks to win. Payout would have been $893.40. It isn't a good feeling to walk out of the MGM knowing that you paid too much for a lower level seat at an event where the main event was cancelled and Johny just spent your hooker money...

hendricks said it's because he didn't get the right kind of training partners to imitate wonderboy.

i just think he takes the path of least resistance. ie- he just wants to bang (stationary bros).

Wonderboy has that Jon Jones reach in the division. It isn't easy to deal with. Saying Hendricks should have gone for takedowns and that his striking is shit doesn't give Wonderboy the credit he deserves. Those early kicks were snapping Hendricks head back more than a foot even when they were being blocked. That is some serious impact and Hendricks looked gassed from them early on.

No...Maia didn't know what he's good at at one point...he was taught a lesson to go back to what he's good at....
2wcdzd3.jpg

I love that KO... Was like he got hit by a car.

hendricks said it's because he didn't get the right kind of training partners to imitate wonderboy.

i just think he takes the path of least resistance. ie- he just wants to bang (stationary bros).
please tell me not behind the barn....

2wcdzd3.jpg
Ha ha, true true. Maia has forgotten his strengths at times, too. Recently he seems to have remembered them though.

He might still think he was robbed of the title twice, was knocking people out before the GSP fight, so he was confident.

it seems like he's one of those guys who train for and expect one thing...but when things don't go the way they planned...they're kind of lost. I think he was trying to figure out what to do, but was too slow to process and was eating shots.

I think he thought he could rely on his chin being pretty good. But it obviously wasn't. He was only looking to throw the left hand, watch again and you can see him with it cocked waiting to land the big shot. Styles make fights, and these two styles clashed and Johny lost and he would most likely lose again. He doesn't move and lets people hit him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back