-why fighting TJ Dillashaw wouldn't be awkward
-Urijah Faber's plans to retire after he wins the belt from Dominick Cruz
-his tattoos
-why he has so many and which one hurt the most
-if it's awkward in training between him and ex-girlfriend Paige VanZant
-his Tinder experiences with catfish and what the best place is to pick up
-and lots more.

Some Quotes:

If Urijah Faber potentially becoming champion complicates things for Cody in regards to going for the title

“If Urijah would be the champion I think he would beat Cruz in the next fight. We talked about it before, he’ll go out as champion, retire, you know? Like, Urijah has done so much for the sport and been a world champion, he’s been the Featherweight king at the WEC - and people seem to forget Urijah ruled that era for a very long time, fought some of the best fighters. What else would he have to prove? You win the title and go out, storybook ending. Boom, done. If he goes two and one against Cruz, wins a world title and then goes on and lives his life. He’s the California Kid, he does what he always does. He’s always in the gym, he’s got his other business endeavours you know. We’ve been talking about it, that would be the perfect storybook ending. So…then the title would be up for grabs, but yeah, I don’t think I could ever fight Urijah. For sure, never. I would never want to, and I don’t think that would be a possibility. He’s only got a few more fights left, maybe the one, maybe the Cruz fight. So yeah, I hope that never had to come down to it. He’s given me so much in my life and helped out so much, with letting me on the team and just opened a bunch of doors for me. He knows that I would never want to fight him, world title or not. That’s where if something happened, I would really probably walk away probably, because I have so much respect for Urijah and just as a human being and a person that he is.”

If Cody and Urijah actually spoke about him retiring after fighting Cruz for the title

“Yeah we talked about it. I mean, what else does he do? You beat Cruz, who just beat TJ for the title.”

“Yeah we talked about it, we talked about it. His fight with Cruz is a storybook ending. He’s had his career, being champion and then fighting back, losing the title, coming back, dropping a weight class, losing a close fight to the champion, another title fight, losing these close title fights and then coming back and then winning the last fight to win the title. That’s the story book ending. That’s how I want to be done with my career. I don’t want to crawl away from the UFC, I wanna walk with my head held high, say I’ve done everything that I could to my best ability, and you know, I want to be something that the sport and passion I love for so long. A lot of fighters don’t get to do that. A lot of fighters crawl away from fighting and it leaves a bad taste in there mouth. I wanna remember these years that I have been blessed with and these opportunities that I was blessed with, to be able to walk away with my head held high and say ‘hey, I did every single thing that I could with my God-given abilities to be the world champion and have the longevity in my career’, not to crawl away from fighting, to be able to walk away with my head held high and be like, hey, moving on to my next chapter of my life.”

On how Cody plans on dealing with John Lineker’s KO power

“If you get hit by that shit, you just deserve to get hit by that. He can’t throw a straight punch to save his life. I think honestly he closes his eyes and swings when he’s in the pocket. I have an extensive boxing background, my skills are definitely developing with the work with [Justin] Buchholz and these coaches. So I have the perfect game plan for him. I’m gonna fight my pace, dictate where this fight goes. He’s gonna be dancing to my tune, you know. So I don’t know. Everyone wants to say he has knock out power, but it’s the same thing, I’ve dropped everybody that I fought, from the amateurs all the way up. I’ve not touched someone’s chin that hasn’t dropped, hasn’t been on the canvas. So he’s coming up to my weight, you know what I mean. He wanted to sit down and beat up on 125-pounders and miss weight. He’s been defeated by that scale four times, so right there he’s mentally weak. So if it goes into a deep fight, where he has broken before - four times, not once, four times from a scale, not making weight. Half the battle is making weight, so he broke there. He’s mentally weak, I’ll drown him wherever we go. If I want to take an arm, knock him out, I’m going to get the win no matter what. But I see, I keep visualising a huge knockout and me just pounding his face in. And that’s what I look forward to. You know, I just weather the storm. He’s going to come out guns slinging, throwing those double hooks, left and right to the body, right to the head, [he’s] very telegraphic with his punches. And all of his fights are the same, you know, it’s right hand to the body, lead left hook to the head, and then he gets up to people bailing and then he can kind of like tomahawks the left hook, double left hook at them. So basically man, I’m just gonna pick this dude apart. I’m too fast for him, I hit too hard, and this is what I’m fighting for. I asked for this fight. This is a fight that I asked for, that I really wanted, and it’s happening at the right time in my career, and I’m very, very thankful to go against a game opponent. Don’t get me wrong, I respect him, but I’m not going to fear him. I think a lot of people go in there “oh he hits hard” and this and that. That’s for who to say? Who says he hits hard? Like for me, anyone can throw from their waist and hit hard. You gotta be able to hit the person. So I think I’m just too elusive on my feet for him, and once he gets tagged up, he’ll be trying to come in for a knockout, but he’s going to run into so many counters that he’s not gonna know where he’s at.”

Last edited:
I think he meant to say that Urijah will retire with another loss vs. Cruz.

Well... He did better than Dillashaw imo. Faber always rises to the occasion. Im not hating on this fight.

Cruz 49-46.

I think he meant to say that Urijah will retire with another loss vs. Cruz.
He's already submitted Cruz once and dropped him 3 times in their last fight. I think Urijah has the upper hand in this trilogy.

I agree, he will retire with a win over Cruz.. It just happens to be his win over Cruz from 2007.

He's already submitted Cruz once and dropped him 3 times in their last fight. I think Urijah has the upper hand in this trilogy.

The first fight was 9 years ago, their second fight was 5 years ago.

Since then Cruz has beat MM, dealt with more injuries than anyone should ever have to, mauled Mizugaki in a minute, got hurt again and then came back to win the title against Dillashaw.

Faber beat Bowles, lost to Barao, went on a great streak, got stopped by Barao and he's never looked the same since, particularly his last two fights at 135 to Rivera and Saenz where he looked terrible and was losing to Sisco until the eyepoke and gassed badly against Saenz.

I'm telling you, Barao did something to Faber in their second fight and Faber is in decline. Cruz wins easily.

I don't see Urijah beating Cruz anymore. That ship has sailed.

Yeah but that first fight was so long ago and although the 2nd fight, Urijah had some success, only one was a real knockdown.

The other times counted, too, but really Cruz was just off balance and got tagged at the right time, he wasn't hurt at all or anything like that. Only once was Cruz truly hit HARD and fell down.

Although Cruz has only fought twice in the last couple years or so, I think he's going to outclass Urijah again. He outclassed him in the 2nd fight the entire time besides Urijah landing that one good shot every few rounds. Besides that, he was outclassed the entire time.

Cruz looks better than ever, even with all the time off. TJ is a MUCH better fighter than Urijah is. If TJ can't get the job done, Urijah definitely can't unless he pulled out the submission or Cruz got sloppy and put down, but that just isn't going to happen.

Anything can happen, obviously, you never really know, but Cruz is the safe bet. His striking is much better and Urijah won't be able to take him down and if he does, Cruz will be up immediately. Then Cruz will take the decision and go home injured, sit out for another 10 years and come back to school somebody else. (The TJ fight wasn't really a schooling, but you know what I mean).

Well... He did better than Dillashaw imo. Faber always rises to the occasion. Im not hating on this fight.

Cruz 49-46.

I thought his fight was closer as well, but I think Faber is the decline physically, but God bless him I hope he pulls it out.

Yeah but that first fight was so long ago and although the 2nd fight, Urijah had some success, only one was a real knockdown.

The other times counted, too, but really Cruz was just off balance and got tagged at the right time, he wasn't hurt at all or anything like that. Only once was Cruz truly hit HARD and fell down.

Although Cruz has only fought twice in the last couple years or so, I think he's going to outclass Urijah again. He outclassed him in the 2nd fight the entire time besides Urijah landing that one good shot every few rounds. Besides that, he was outclassed the entire time.

Cruz looks better than ever, even with all the time off. TJ is a MUCH better fighter than Urijah is. If TJ can't get the job done, Urijah definitely can't unless he pulled out the submission or Cruz got sloppy and put down, but that just isn't going to happen.

Anything can happen, obviously, you never really know, but Cruz is the safe bet. His striking is much better and Urijah won't be able to take him down and if he does, Cruz will be up immediately. Then Cruz will take the decision and go home injured, sit out for another 10 years and come back to school somebody else. (The TJ fight wasn't really a schooling, but you know what I mean).

Regardless if he was off balance or not, knockdown is a knockdown, but I'd have to reluctantly agree that Cruz will most likely win the fight.

Is Cody the TAM who got cucked by Sage over Paige?

Meh...Lineker is mentally weak cause he missed weight several times? Sems like a false sense of confidence to me.

Regardless if he was off balance or not, knockdown is a knockdown, but I'd have to reluctantly agree that Cruz will most likely win the fight.

Well, I did say that they were still scored as knockdowns. Just like the 1st round of Condit/Lawler, where it has Condit scoring a knockdown when really Lawler was just off balance and Condit walked into him, basically pushing him over.

It wasn't a legit knockdown, but still scored as one in the official stats. I'm just saying that Urijah didn't actually hurt Cruz in any way, just caught him off balance and that's why Cruz fell. It still counts as a knockdown, just saying that it wasn't really as legit as it may have looked to some people. Cruz is almost always off balance because of his footwork. If he was easier to hit, I guarantee we'd see him fall down more often but not because he was hurt, because he's off balance. He never stops moving his feet, rarely plants his feet at all, so when he's tagged while moving, he might fall down easier than others but he's not actually hurt.

I'm not saying it doesn't count or anything because officially, it does.

Thanks Polski for another quality thread.

New interview with Seth Petruzelli over the weekend on Submission Radio

Some Topics Covered:
-
his upcoming fight against John Lineker at Fight Night Pittsburgh
-how he plans on embarrassing John and why he doesn't fear his knockout power
-recently cross-training at Jackson/Winkeljohn's
-if he would ever train at Team Elevation
-Joseph Benavidez and Lance Palmer training in Colorado not going over so well
-why fighting TJ Dillashaw wouldn't be awkward
-Urijah Faber's plans to retire after he wins the belt from Dominick Cruz
-his tattoos
-why he has so many and which one hurt the most
-if it's awkward in training between him and ex-girlfriend Paige VanZant
-his Tinder experiences with catfish and what the best place is to pick up
-and lots more.

Some Quotes:

If Urijah Faber potentially becoming champion complicates things for Cody in regards to going for the title

“If Urijah would be the champion I think he would beat Cruz in the next fight. We talked about it before, he’ll go out as champion, retire, you know? Like, Urijah has done so much for the sport and been a world champion, he’s been the Featherweight king at the WEC - and people seem to forget Urijah ruled that era for a very long time, fought some of the best fighters. What else would he have to prove? You win the title and go out, storybook ending. Boom, done. If he goes two and one against Cruz, wins a world title and then goes on and lives his life. He’s the California Kid, he does what he always does. He’s always in the gym, he’s got his other business endeavours you know. We’ve been talking about it, that would be the perfect storybook ending. So…then the title would be up for grabs, but yeah, I don’t think I could ever fight Urijah. For sure, never. I would never want to, and I don’t think that would be a possibility. He’s only got a few more fights left, maybe the one, maybe the Cruz fight. So yeah, I hope that never had to come down to it. He’s given me so much in my life and helped out so much, with letting me on the team and just opened a bunch of doors for me. He knows that I would never want to fight him, world title or not. That’s where if something happened, I would really probably walk away probably, because I have so much respect for Urijah and just as a human being and a person that he is.”

If Cody and Urijah actually spoke about him retiring after fighting Cruz for the title

“Yeah we talked about it. I mean, what else does he do? You beat Cruz, who just beat TJ for the title.”

“Yeah we talked about it, we talked about it. His fight with Cruz is a storybook ending. He’s had his career, being champion and then fighting back, losing the title, coming back, dropping a weight class, losing a close fight to the champion, another title fight, losing these close title fights and then coming back and then winning the last fight to win the title. That’s the story book ending. That’s how I want to be done with my career. I don’t want to crawl away from the UFC, I wanna walk with my head held high, say I’ve done everything that I could to my best ability, and you know, I want to be something that the sport and passion I love for so long. A lot of fighters don’t get to do that. A lot of fighters crawl away from fighting and it leaves a bad taste in there mouth. I wanna remember these years that I have been blessed with and these opportunities that I was blessed with, to be able to walk away with my head held high and say ‘hey, I did every single thing that I could with my God-given abilities to be the world champion and have the longevity in my career’, not to crawl away from fighting, to be able to walk away with my head held high and be like, hey, moving on to my next chapter of my life.”

On how Cody plans on dealing with John Lineker’s KO power

“If you get hit by that shit, you just deserve to get hit by that. He can’t throw a straight punch to save his life. I think honestly he closes his eyes and swings when he’s in the pocket. I have an extensive boxing background, my skills are definitely developing with the work with [Justin] Buchholz and these coaches. So I have the perfect game plan for him. I’m gonna fight my pace, dictate where this fight goes. He’s gonna be dancing to my tune, you know. So I don’t know. Everyone wants to say he has knock out power, but it’s the same thing, I’ve dropped everybody that I fought, from the amateurs all the way up. I’ve not touched someone’s chin that hasn’t dropped, hasn’t been on the canvas. So he’s coming up to my weight, you know what I mean. He wanted to sit down and beat up on 125-pounders and miss weight. He’s been defeated by that scale four times, so right there he’s mentally weak. So if it goes into a deep fight, where he has broken before - four times, not once, four times from a scale, not making weight. Half the battle is making weight, so he broke there. He’s mentally weak, I’ll drown him wherever we go. If I want to take an arm, knock him out, I’m going to get the win no matter what. But I see, I keep visualising a huge knockout and me just pounding his face in. And that’s what I look forward to. You know, I just weather the storm. He’s going to come out guns slinging, throwing those double hooks, left and right to the body, right to the head, [he’s] very telegraphic with his punches. And all of his fights are the same, you know, it’s right hand to the body, lead left hook to the head, and then he gets up to people bailing and then he can kind of like tomahawks the left hook, double left hook at them. So basically man, I’m just gonna pick this dude apart. I’m too fast for him, I hit too hard, and this is what I’m fighting for. I asked for this fight. This is a fight that I asked for, that I really wanted, and it’s happening at the right time in my career, and I’m very, very thankful to go against a game opponent. Don’t get me wrong, I respect him, but I’m not going to fear him. I think a lot of people go in there “oh he hits hard” and this and that. That’s for who to say? Who says he hits hard? Like for me, anyone can throw from their waist and hit hard. You gotta be able to hit the person. So I think I’m just too elusive on my feet for him, and once he gets tagged up, he’ll be trying to come in for a knockout, but he’s going to run into so many counters that he’s not gonna know where he’s at.”

Dat wall of text....I feel like I've joined the Knights watch lol.

Anyways...TS I was wondering if you could offer some brief cliffs on Joe Benevidez and Lance Palmer's stay in Colorado. Why did it not go over well? Did Cody ever elaborate?

So Cruz is going to retire Faber.

And I think Lineker finishes this Cody fool.

Back