Let's talk about Fighter's Excuses.

HHJ

RIP Toriyama
@plutonium
Reaction score
Sure a guy may lose a fight because his opponent is better than he is,and better prepared,etc. However,when you ask a guy,especially right after the fight,where they are more likely NOT to lie....and these guys say well.."You know i was hurt coming into this thing,or didnt have the best camp"...as a spectator you never wanna hear that something contributed to this fight not being as even as it could,but that dont make it any less true.

Tim Sylvia said after he lost to Randy Couture that he had a bad back and it contributed to him not having a great performance...and watching the fight,i can certainly believe that. Could randy have beaten him anyway? certainly! but even though its not what a bunch of drunken fans dont want to hear doesnt mean they should be trashed for telling the truth.

Now,some fighters are delusional,but this delusion is actually what keeps their career going,and sometimes guys get back on track in that way...so I think we shouldnt judge so harshly when a fighter explains himself,why he lost. They are constantly asked,and mostly,they are giving their honest assessment at the time.

Last edited:
So many people gave Chuck shit for saying "He got caught"
I never saw the problem with that. He doesnt need to tell you any more than that.

Paragraphs are a wonderful thing

To be the best, you have to believe you're the best.

When you realize that you're probably not the best, the most important thing to do is to try to convince yourself that you're wrong in thinking that.

To be the best, you have to believe you're the best.

When you realize that you're probably not the best, the most important thing to do is to try to convince yourself that you're wrong in thinking that.

Agreed! imagine if nogueira was a normal person and imagine if he listened to people. He would have quit against mirko,fedor,sapp,sylvia and all them.

Better now?

So many people gave Chuck shit for saying "He got caught"
I never saw the problem with that. He doesnt need to tell you any more than that.

I don't get the hate for that either. Like when Rockhard got KTFO by Vitor's spinning headkick... how else is he going to explain how he lost? He got smashed with a kick out of nowhere. Sure he can talk about how Vitor set it up, but in the end it really boils down to just getting hit by 1 strike and getting KTFO by it. No need to go into a ton of detail with that kind of loss.

Fedor is my favorite fighter,and Nogueira used to say all kinds of stuff about his injuries in the first fight..and it could very well be true,but i found it didnt really offend me,and that Fedor had his number on his best day...I only cared about what happened in the ring,and Nogueira was as brave as anyone i ever saw fight...so whatever hes got to tell himself..hey man..its cool. He is a guy who rebounded his career many times.

He is clearly at the point where he needs to retire,and doesnt want to accept it. If you watch his losses against Rashad and Little Nog,and so on,the guy clearly has too many injuries to compete at a high level,even though his will to fight is strong,and he probably needs the money.

Back