im happy about the weight cutting ban after what my friend told me

Macalpinerules

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I work with this guy who used to wrestle in college. He's a big MMA fan so we always talk about the fights.

We recently were talking about the weight cut ban in California and he started telling me about some of the weird things him and his team mates would do to make weight. Here are a few things I remember.

1)He says he would walk around all day with an empty water jug so he could spit into it. He said some of his professors and classmates were grossed out and made him not do it while in their class.

2)He claims that when he could no longer get water out of his body, he would take a liquid laxative to squeeze the last bit of junk that was in his guts. He says that feces from a dehydrated person has a weird color to it, almost looks like a black diamond.

3)He told me that one guy in particular would often give blood for money to get the weight off. He says he went with the guy once to donate blood but never again because it made him weaker than usual. He says the only other time he gave blood for money was not to make weight but to save up to fix the transmission in his car.

4)He said that one year he was roomed with a teammate and they would put repulsive things in the kitchen to avoid eating things out of the fridge and cabinet. his friend had a cat against dorm policy so they would put the litter boxes in the kitchen along with their wrestling/training equipment. He said that even when the wrestling season was over and they no longer tried to besmirch the kitchen with odors, the smells still lingered.

5)According to him, a common practice for all members of the team was to use a nail file to file away dead skin from the bottom of their feet. He said this was usually done at the the same time as other petty measures were taken to shed every last ounce, like shaving pubic hairs and eyebrows.

6)And finally, the most interesting thing he told me was how the guys didn't understand how dangerous some of the things they were doing were. For example, when certain guys would go unconscious from being in the sauna to long the others would call it "falling asleep" as if the guy in question was being lazy. The words "Unconscious" or "faint" were never used to describe the guys who would suddenly pass out in the middle of their marathon sauna sessions.

All in all my friend says its a good thing that weight cutting will become lest common now that athletic commissions are looking to due away with it.

I would have touched that mother fucker with the jab.

At what point does this guy along with his friends take any personal responsibility with these petty and idiotic weight-cutting methods?

Extreme weight-cutting is only half the problem, and will always exist in combat sports as long as the concept of weight divisions exist. Rules and regulations can only do so much to protect an individual from himself.

Weight cutting band? Who does the group consist of? Hendricks, Conor, WW rumble and weidman?

Weight cutting band? Who does the group consist of? Hendricks, Conor, WW rumble and weidman?

Carnie Wilson, Karen Carpenter, Iggy Pop and Freddie Mercury.

The only thing he said that was legit was the spitting things. I have never heard of a wrestler doing any of those other things to make weight.

black-diamond.jpg

Give the troll threads a rest or move them to the Wasteland or Dump.

I knew who wrote this thread when I opened it, yet I still read the whole thing.

I am part of the problem.

Doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Don't people usually do hobbies to get some enjoyment out of them?

Your trolling is getting worse by the day

Muscle weighs more than semen.

That was the original figure of speech before they changed it to "blood is thicker than water." I think they should have gone with their first instinct.

My most memorable weight cut was in my junior year and it had nothing to do with my own cut. I remember showing up to the facility, thinking I should be good, but a little bit worried because this was for the city championships and I was in my first year of wrestling (in fact it was the first year our school even had a wrestling team) so I was still new to cutting and everything (though I had a really good process that made my cuts easy peasy and never had trouble making weight). I walked in to the lobby of the building where the weigh ins were taking place and my coach is standing there staring down a hallway with a really worried look on his face. I walk up to him and say hi and what's wrong and he just says "Mat" without taking his eyes off the corridor.

Next thing I know this black blur comes bursting around the corner sprinting running straight for us and as I get over my shock I realize it's my team mate Mat, and he's wearing 3 pairs of pants, a sweater, a jacket, and a garbage bag. He sprints up to us and then without stopping starts doing burpees, sweat pouring off his face. My coach is yelling at him to start sprinting again after like 10, and Mat runs off gasping for breath. My coach just stares down the corridor again after him and without looking at me says "I hope your weight's good."

So now I'm freaking out. Again, I had a really good process so I knew I should be on weight, but the thing was that me and Mat were in the same weight class. And I am A LOT bigger than him as he's a lanky kind of guy. So now it's running though my head that if he didn't make weight then I might actually be off and not make it too and I'm thinking I should start running or something just to be sure.

Then the official comes out of his office and calls me over and tells me it's my turn before I can, and I'm thinking crap. I go in, and there's the scale staring at me. So I strip down to my singlet, hesitate, and ask the official if I can go take a quick piss. He laughs and lets me go piss and I manage to piss a bit. Coming back, I step on praying to God that I made weight and yup, I was 1/1000th of a lb less than my weight class and had just made the cut thanks to the few drops I had just squeezed out 15 seconds before lol.

Ecstatic, I get dressed again, come out and my coach and Mat are back at it, but now there's a fucking stationery bike pulled in from somewhere sitting in the middle of the lobby and Mat's pedaling as fast as he can, gasping for air. I felt so bad for the kid, but at the same time, a little overjoyed because again, we were in the same weight class, and there was the possibility that if we both advanced enough I'd have to face him and the worse shape he was in was good for me (though we never did end up matching up as he was just dead and didn't last long). Last thing I saw was his red face trying to cut I think like 2lbs more as I hopped in my car to go get Subway as I was starved.

Anyways, I guess a TL;DR was just witnessing the extremes some people have to go to to make a last minute cut while I had thankfully breezed through my own with a last minute piss and then went on to go grab Subway while my team mate was gasping it out on a stationery lol.

Back