Sherdog, Do You Believe Physical Primes Exist?

Do Fighter's have Primes?

• Total voters

OnePunchMan

ワンパンマン
Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's a Sherdog classic: "x fighter was past his prime so he lost." Which is of course always followed by "No, his competition just got better stop making excuses".

If you say a fighter doesn't look as amazing as before, or looked bad in a fight it often results in people saying you are discrediting their opponent etc. But if primes do exist doesn't that mean that this is a valid thing to say at least sometimes?

Some popular examples of the top of the dome being being Shogun, Fedor, Crocop but there are many many more of course.

So I ask you Sherdog, do primes exist or are they just a way to make excuses?

Edit: Since the overwhelming answer is yes, when is it acceptable to say and not considered excuse making?

Last edited:
anyone who has watched JDS, Nog or dozens of others fight knows this answer.

anyone who has watched JDS, Nog or dozens of others fight knows this answer.

For me, JDS is a great example thank you. He honestly doesn't look like the same fighter speedwise anymore to my eyes for one thing. Durability of course seems different.

But even with a pretty clear example like that you had people saying that "You just want to discredit Reem's win."

Primes are not only physical. Fighters can become unmotivated.

9a80c91ddda3b4cec4767e8722dc8380c8d9ff4b9679d5153a9a2b1fbbfd634e.jpg

This is blatantly a troll thread.

Not really.

It seems to me if you acknowledge that physical primes exist then you have to be willing to admit that a loss can result from no longer being in one's prime.

Yet, it seems like its never acceptable here.

You can't say they exist then say they have no outcome on the fight. And yet that's what happens pretty regularly.

Of course physical primes exist... I can sit here and do a backflip on flatground at 25... I won't be doing that and 65? durr?

Too many variables. We've seen people who's careers adhere to a "prime", then you have people who are apparently past it and then make a comeback. Training, injuries, family, fighting style, momentum all affect the result of a bout. People just want to support an argument for a fighter they love/hate - you can spin it too many ways:

1. Fedor lost to a 41-year-old middleweight who has gone 3-6 in his next 9.
2. Fedor lost to the greatest American MMA fighter of all time who had success in 3 different weight classes and was coming off a title victory.

Both are true, its just how to want to spin it to support you argument. Humans are fragile, they're not invisible and they will all eventually lose. Anderson could have lost in 2008 just as easily as he could of lost in 2013, just like Fedor, just like Georges St-Pierre. Champions are created when skill meets preparation, and you're not always gonna be the most skilled or the most prepared.

Its all about genes

everybody has a different/longer/shorter prime

But yes everybody has a prime

So I ask you Sherdog, do primes exist or are they just a way to make excuses?

Wrong question. The real answer is: "It doesn't matter WHAT you say on Sherdog, someone will say you are 100% wrong." Like I just did!

How is this even a question? Primes exist even in non-athletes. I was able to do things I can't do now (36)

It certainly exists, but can only be identified with the benefit of hindsight and can still be overcome with technique and experience. That dynamic makes it difficult or impossible to foresee.

If you answer no to this question I legitimately believe you should just leave the site.

Wrong question. The real answer is: "It doesn't matter WHAT you say on Sherdog, someone will say you are 100% wrong." Like I just did!

Just started posting here a few days ago and you learn this very quickly!

How many 50 years plus athletes do you see?

Back