Does Wonderboy always favor right kicks so much?

dat1978

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
He threw and landed multiple kicks in the JH fight, but I noticed only one was a left. Whether he was in southpaw or traditional stance he would throw that right kick. Is that how he always fights? Just curious.

Made it hard for Johny to even think about trying to land his big left hand.

be curious to see how he does without the reach advantage. JH was not on point. some of wonderboys kicks especially the spins, were really telegraphed, but by then hendricks was already out on his feet. Would love to see him vs condit. also, he keeps his hands down alot, versus someone who is same height and also has kicks, that could be a problem.

i was def impressed by his performance, but i'd like to see another fight before i'd say he's destined to be champion, or could beat lawler. either way, nice to have some new blood in WW. i think he should get rory next, winner get title shot.

What up Woodley. Coming here for coaching tips?

Which stance were his counter punches from? That straight left had some speed and distance.

After the faintings he sees the openings
left or right kick he can do it all

Hendricks is too short to move up in weight, and not very tall for WW. Wonder boy is like a striking god.

I think it has something to do with him favoring to kick with the lead leg. Probably more comfortable kicking with that leg and is closer to his opponent. He can keep more distance and strike when he is just barely in range which is where he is dangerous.

Cant do a side kick or keep range with you back foot as well as your front.

I think it has something to do with him favoring to kick with the lead leg. Probably more comfortable kicking with that leg and is closer to his opponent. He can keep more distance and strike when he is just barely in range which is where he is dangerous.

Cant do a side kick or keep range with you back foot as well as your front.

That's what I figured, but I just can't recall his other fights enough to remember if he always fought like that.

He holds his hands down all the time, it bothered me a bit and I was afraid he might get caught.

He sneaks those right kicks all the time regardless of whether he fights southpaw or orthodox. Really rare. Usually when you see a successful kicker, it's always a southpaw or someone without a preferrable side.

Yes. He's always used kicks with his right leg more often.

When Thompson goes southpaw, dealing with a guy that can kick off the lead leg like him is very difficult. You can be very sneaky with lead kicks if you have the skill Thompson does. Just watch how he landed that lead side kick to the body and then the lead kick to the head vs. Hendricks, just beautiful to watch. He just pokes you in the face with it. Reminds me of Superfoot Bill Wallace, that lead kick just comes out of nowhere. There's no wind up whatsoever and that helps with disguising kicks more effectively.

Luke Rockhold is also very good with lead kicks, great dexterity and such.

Yes. He's always used kicks with his right leg more often.

When Thompson goes southpaw, dealing with a guy that can kick off the lead leg like him is very difficult. You can be very sneaky with lead kicks if you have the skill Thompson does. Just watch how he landed that lead side kick to the body and then the lead kick to the head vs. Hendricks, just beautiful to watch. He just pokes you in the face with it. Reminds me of Superfoot Bill Wallace, that lead kick just comes out of nowhere. There's no wind up whatsoever and that helps with disguising kicks more effectively.

Luke Rockhold is also very good with lead kicks, great dexterity and such.

Lead leg kick like you said will come off quicker and can be used like a jab type hit rather than a uppercut type hit that the back lead is usually.

With the front leg kick you do not have to turn your hips like a regular kick. Can retreat faster (less distance), hide the kick(lack of hip movement) hit faster / less reaction time. He can possibly have 6+ different kicks he can throw off that lead leg.

Back