Demian Maia vs Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson for the #1 contender spot at WW?

Who wins Demian Maia or Stephen Thompson?

• Total voters

orlandod

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
While I think it would be much nicer to see Thompson fighting Lawler for the belt, maybe Woodley (or Condit) is ahead of him for a title shot. Damn, people could even make an argument for Maia as the #1 contender at WW.

Not looking past Matt Brown here, but if Maia wins his fight, then Demian vs Wonderboy must happen - this, assuming Stephen doesn't get a TS right away. If Brown wins, then Thompson could get a rematch and revenge his only loss to The Immortal, getting the #1 spot in the process? I would be down for that too.

Honestly, I have no idea how Maia vs Thompson goes. Maia could get a quick sub as well as Thompson could get a quick KO, this is classic striker vs grappler bout. I guess that fight makes sense according to how things play out for the next title shot at WW.

If I had to guess, I would go with Maia based on MMA experience and grappling advantage - once Maia in on top of another fighter, it's over, unless the guy is also a grappling ace. Anyway, I definitely wouldn't put my money on it.

Who would you guys take?

Demian Maia (22-6)

demian-maia-ryan-laflare-ufc-fight-night-62-2-e1427005948762.jpg

Stephen Thompson (12-1)

web1_MMA-UFC170_022214jb_10_4.jpg

Boo. Didn't read. Don't destroy hype by giving Thompson his worst matchup.

Good choice. I agree.

Think it would look a lot like Anderson/Maia.

Stephen deserves his shot after what he did to Hendricks. Make Maia/Brown winner vs Woodley.

i want demian to get the next shot. but i want thompson to get the shot too. but if it would mean to fight thompson for demian to get the next shot, so be it

I agree. Maia and Thompson are both each others worst match ups. Woodley was supposed to get next shot but has been on the sidelines.... I'd say either Condit rematch Lawler would be best... But maybe Condit/Woodley

Maia is officially fighting Brown. He's got a good run going but it's against lower competition. Winner of Brown/Maia should fight Woodley for the #1 contender shot. You can still do Hendricks/MacDonald.

If Woodley doesn't want to sit out, you can finally do Woodley/Hendricks and get that out of the way.

The biggest challenge in the
division for each of them imo.
Both have the skills to finish
one another in their respective
departments. Personally though,
I'd like to see wonderboy vs
Woodley & the most impressive
victor between that fight & the
Brown/maia fight should get
the shot.

i always pick maia
Maia doesn't have to end up on top after a TD. He'll get a hold of Wonderboy than pull guard. From there it's nightmare time for Wonderboy.

Then again Nate Marquardt dropped Maia like a sack of potatoes.

While I think it would be much nicer to see Thompson fighting Lawler for the belt, maybe Woodley (or Condit) is ahead of him for a title shot. Damn, people could even make an argument for Maia as the #1 contender at WW.

Not looking past Matt Brown here, but if Maia wins his fight, then Demian vs Wonderboy must happen - this, assuming Stephen doesn't get a TS right away. If Brown wins, then Thompson could get a rematch and revenge his only loss to The Immortal, getting the #1 spot in the process? I would be down for that too.

Honestly, I have no idea how Maia vs Thompson goes. Maia could get a quick sub as well as Thompson could get a quick KO, this is classic striker vs grappler bout. I guess that fight makes sense according to how things play out for the next title shot at WW.

If I had to guess, I would go with Maia based on MMA experience and grappling advantage - once Maia in on top of another fighter, it's over, unless the guy is also a grappling ace. Anyway, I definitely wouldn't put my money on it.

Who would you guys take?

Demian Maia (22-6)

demian-maia-ryan-laflare-ufc-fight-night-62-2-e1427005948762.jpg

Stephen Thompson (12-1)

web1_MMA-UFC170_022214jb_10_4.jpg
Striking on different stratosphere's so Thompson to keep distance and batter him with strikes .

However i have become a Maia fan , i love watching the guy fight his all round grappling and BJJ is the best in the UFC ( my opinion) . If he manages to take him down he will dominate him on the ground , close the spider web and submit him.

I have become a Maia fan , he has been the betting dog in his last three fights and won me a few quid, including being part of an accumulator( parlay) at UFC 190 . Which was red panty night for me , also i prefer lapsed Catholics to born again Christians . So i will be definitely cheer leading for the Brazillian .

If Thompson does not get Lawler it will be because Woodly gets a shot at Lawler. I would prefer Demien fighting Woodly for the next contender spot and Thompson fighting Lawler next. This would make McGregor v. Thompson posible at least if both won their fights.

Back