this is not about strikers or wrestlers, nowadays you have to be good at everything !

Hazuki Ryo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
i see this as mma evolving. Top fighters have to be able to master all aeras of fighting if they want to be able to remain competitive and durable. You just cannot rely on one specific weapon anymore, if you're no comfortable on your feet or against the fence, you're not gonna make it. Their is no strikers come back or wrestlers decline, i think fighters now are becoming fucking well rounded monsters

Holly-Holm-FB-2.jpg
usa-today-8994166.0.jpg
470279496-luke-rockhold-celebrates-defeating-lyoto-gettyimages.jpg

I think the new era is strikers with TDD. BJJ is getting more irrelevant as the days go on, hate to say it.

Holm is going to school Tate & I personally can't wait to see Tate retire when she realises she's just not champion material

Holm is going to school Tate & I personally can't wait to see Tate retire when she realises she's just not champion material
What you got against Tate? You seem to have some deep rooted feelings. Tate is awesome.

MMA in general is becoming more homogeneous. We will stop seeing "fighter with x base" it's true some gyms have different approaches but we see more and more fighters are becoming jack of all trades. Of course trends changes. When we see x fighter with a dominant skill, everyone wants to be able to do it or defend against it.
People are saying bbj is more irrelevant which is kind of true because everyone trains it now and only some are masters. So they're constantly nullifying each another on the mat. Through the homogeneity, we will find people trying to break the mould and trend.

What you got against Tate? You seem to have some deep rooted feelings. Tate is awesome.
I wouldn't say I have anything against her, I just don't like how her claim to fame was "I've lasted the longest with Ronda" as if that was an accomplishment & something that should grant her a title shot, she's just not champion material & Holly is going to prove it to her.

I wouldn't say I have anything against her, I just don't like how her claim to fame was "I've lasted the longest with Ronda" as if that was an accomplishment & something that should grant her a title shot, she's just not champion material & Holly is going to prove it to her.
She's 4-0 since her last lost to Rhonda. She's a legit grappler placing silver at 2008 FILA world championships. She's smoking hot and from what I've seen is a pretty cool chick.

But it's your opinion. I respect it. You're right too. That second Rhonda fight wasn't deserved. She got the Gus treatment getting a title shot coming off a stoppage loss.

Like I said before. If she loses I'll admit you were right.

There are still some bases which help more than others. Look at the stats for what most elite fighters use. You see more wrestling than capoeira for example.

It doesn't help that the UFC dislikes wrestlers. They cut Fitch and Shields at the first chance.

MMA doesn't evolve, it's deprived from established and evolved techniques.

The fighters evolve.

Holm and McGregor haven't proved to be good in wrestling/ bjj. McGregor had some problems with Mendes, so they aren't good at everything and this isn't neccessary. You have to be better than your opponent in certain areas. Four simple examples:

1) Fighter A 'Takedown defense' is better than Fighters B 'take down'; fight will be striking or clinching (Cain vs Dos Santos 2 in which Cain defeated Dos Santos mainly via the clinch)

2) Fighter A takedown defense & 'clinching 'defense' are better than Fighter B takedown & clinching; results in striking (Holly Holm vs Ronda)

3) Fighter B Takedown / wrestling better than Fighter A take down defense / wrestling; fight will likely go to the ground but maybe there is no controll or damage on the ground (Conor vs Mendes)

4) Fighter B Takedown / wrestling and bjj are better than Fighter A takedown defense / wrestling and bjj = fight will likely go to the ground and will be dominated there by fighter B (Maia vs Gunar)

Those examples aren't complete at all, but are just (simple) examples. In the first two examples bjj and wrestling play almost no role in the fight (except for the clinching part). In the last two examples striking will probably be not that important, however all fights start standing, so striking will always be important no matter what, but the fight likely will take place on the ground, so the bjj and wrestling skills will be very important.

And the above makes it clear how important gameplans are. Holly for example maybe hasn't a better takedown defense than Ronda's takedowns, but she and her team exactly knew the strenghts of Ronda.

Back