What's the point of non-prospect journeymen fighting each other (Burkman-Noons)?

Not A Real Fan

Deep State Agent assigned to monitor Sherdog
Banned
Reaction score
27-12 (1) (debuted in 2003) vs. 13-8(1) (debuted in 2002)

It really hit me during the fight. I was thinking "What's the fucking point of this fight?"

Both of these guys are unranked. Probably nowhere near getting ranked anytime soon. They will never EVER get a title shot in the UFC.

The trajectory of all fighters should be prospect to champion. Obviously not everybody will become a champion. Along the way most will plateau.

Once they plateau, they are just filler. They're done as serious contenders. They're journeymen but are not being used as journeymen!

As the journeymen they are, these guys need to be used as stepping stones for prospects and punching bags for top guys. I know that sounds harsh but that is the only way their fights even have a chance of being compelling. No one gets invested if journeymen fight each other.

If used properly, they may even get a career resurgence. Look at Matt Brown. He would not be as beloved as he is today had he not beaten back the prospects that were meant to beat him (E. Silva, Wonderboy, Mein, etc).

It's only when they are used as journeyman that they have a chance of reviving their careers.

/end of rant

Last edited:
i think they do that for the most part, but I'm sure in some cases other guys are simply booked for other matchups, and these guys both needed a fight so...

But agree.

Card filler with halfway recognizable names.

Entertainment.

UFC took 2 guys with recognizable names who they knew would likely stand and bang (or Burkman might finish if it did go to the ground) and paired them up to appease the crowd and viewers who prefer familiar fighters and stand up wars.

The UFC has more unknown fighters than they know what to do with (or need). Name fighters are bigger draws than unknowns, even on the downside of their career.

I like both fighters. Why shouldnt they fight?

Surprised to see Burks at LW. But I agree, weird matchmaking, on the same card as you have two FLW prosoects derailing each ither's hype.

What do you do for a living? If you aren't clearly on your way to be the best in the world then what's the point?

LOL this might be the best troll attempt ever!

Like why fight unless your champion - to move up the rankings ya dummy so that one day you are talked of as a contender in fights that do have consquences (this answer is for if your a dumbass - otherwise id take the easy out and say you were trolling hard)

Entertainment.

UFC took 2 guys with recognizable names who they knew would likely stand and bang (or Burkman might finish if it did go to the ground) and paired them up to appease the crowd and viewers who prefer familiar fighters and stand up wars.

The UFC has more unknown fighters than they know what to do with (or need). Name fighters are bigger draws than unknowns, even on the downside of their career.

Pretty much. MMA is not just about getting the title. There are a lot of other reasons that fighters fight and that people watch.

Chris Lytle was never going to become the WW champ but I wasn't going to miss one of his fights.

Because fights?

Because fighters fight you moron. Ya know, it's their fooking job m8.

It was one of those fights that they clearly made to be a violent slugfest. Unfortunately, Noons was tentative and looking to land a bomb, and Joshua was on the skid and do everything in his power not to lose. Makes for a very boring fight.

its to weed out the strafe

you dont want vet journeymen to abuse newcomers.

you make them fight to stay in the Show.

its the right type of fight to make. lets the new blood get settled in fighting guys there own strength while vets who have peaked and on the way down get to fight eachother to see who has it left to stay in the show.

Frankly Noons hasnt been interested in fighting for years, has stopped progressing. doesnt promote himself or call anyone out with any conviction. Hope he finally gets cut.

Both of them are definitely way past the prospect stage

What's the point of anything ts? Even if you win the title, you'll eventually lose it, get called over rated, grow old and then die.

I have the same thoughts about a lot of fights the UFC puts on. I question the match making.

Back