Flyweight and Bantamweight coattail PPVs. This is undeniable.

Coffee79

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
UFC 197 has Cormier v Jones. Followed by little olivers DJ vs Cejudo for the Flweight title.

Why keep divisions that just don't have a following ? What obligation, financially, does the UFC have ? I'm not going to talk about the smaller mens' divisions being boring or the other reasons given for why they suck.

I'm talking purely from a business stand point. I guarantee you that if you somehow replaced DJ/Cejudo for, say, Overeem v Cain, it would do many more buys.

If a title fight can't get as many buys as a non-title fight in a more popular division, why hold on to it ?

Is it political correctness keeping these weak divisions in the UFC ?

It fills up a card. The UFC can advertise there is 2 titles on the line for the PPV . Mighty Mouse could headline an FS 1 card, most likely a TUF finally. Plus Mighty Mouse doesn't get paid as much as jones, Werdum , rockhold etc, well I don't think he does. Disagree overeem vs Cain as the co main event will increase the PPV buys.

I like that they merged two title fights I was disinterested in on one card rather than spreaded them on 2 cards.

The same used to be said of LW and then the FW division. Keeping them around is an investment in the future when the division may eventually develop or a star is born.

The same used to be said of LW and then the FW division. Keeping them around is an investment in the future when the division may eventually develop or a star is born.

I agree. For the flyweight or bantamweight to become popular they need a star. Mighty Mouse isn't a star and Cruz isn't one either.

UFC 197 has Cormier v Jones. Followed by little olivers DJ vs Cejudo for the Flweight title.

Why keep divisions that just don't have a following ? What obligation, financially, does the UFC have ? I'm not going to talk about the smaller mens' divisions being boring or the other reasons given for why they suck.

I'm talking purely from a business stand point. I guarantee you that if you somehow replaced DJ/Cejudo for, say, Overeem v Cain, it would do many more buys.

If a title fight can't get as many buys as a non-title fight in a more popular division, why hold on to it ?

Cruz is my favourite fighter.cant speak for everyone else though.like light weight just give it time to grow.

You do realize there was a time when HW was the coattail division, right?

This stuff ebbs and flows.

Heavyweight title fights were not even UFC main events at UFC 48 and UFC 65. Let that sink in.

The UFC has 10 divisions. With about 1 PPV per month, it's a fact that you're going to have PPV's with one than one title fight. That isn't a bad thing.

If Cejudo beats Mighty Mouse then I think he could have some kind of star appeal. Flyweight doesn't seem intresting due to lack of charismatic fighters at the top.

Why do you care, stupid? You're a fan, right? It's your job to just watch the fights that you like watching. You aren't in charge of the UFC or how it handles it's business so shut up, sit down, order a fucking pizza or something, just watch the cards and stop complaining.

I agree. For the flyweight or bantamweight to become popular they need a star. Mighty Mouse isn't a star and Cruz isn't one either.
I enjoy watching Cruz fight. I think he has the personality to be a star coupled with skills. I think a lot of it has to do with the division around him. As someone already said, these weight classes are a future investment. They also allow for filler fights between the mainstream/popular title fights. Marketing title fights creates interest amongst casuals (although minor) so they can keep pushing product and making money while the big earners are on the shelf.

doesn't matter what division it is, champs who aren't draws need to co-main with champs who are to get more exposure and possibly more fans, they will also get people who don't like it, but oh well they can do something else in the meantime. ufc can sell it as a 2 title fight card and that will draw in casuals and new fans anyway. like others have said it's an investment, all that's necessary for divisions to grow and be marketable are skilled champs, good fights and marketable personalities. FlW and BW aren't there yet but eventually they may be though it will take time. these guys deserve their time in the spotlight, why would you deny them the opportunity just because you prefer watching something else.

People used to bitch about having weight divisions at all. And they bitched about LW before BJ Penn. Look what Conor did to FW.

Its not like small men cant draw. Naseem Hamed fought at 128 and made more money than anyone in UFC. Pac started his career smaller than a flyweight.

The problem isnt lighter divisions, its the lack of talent and personalities [yes, that matters] in them right now.

I think it would help the bantamweight and flyweight division if the fights were held in the smaller octagon and having big John as the referee doesn't look good next to them either!

Slapping FLW title fights- and big fights on much stronger PPV draws is a great idea. No one is going to change their mind by themselves and decide to randomly buy a MM headlined card. What the UFC is hoping for is that lots of people will buy for Jones v. Cormier 2 but then if MM and Cejudo havea great fight then in the future that will hopefully mean MM can draw more. It's not rocket surgery, brah

Mighty Mouse is the only champion who makes me want to watch a card LESS when he's on it

that's why I can't understand the UFC wanting to do more weight divisions at times.

They have divisions right now that are struggling.

too many events, needs fighters to fill theese spots;

I understand introducing something new to see if it is marketable or not. But flyweight has been around for what? 4-5 years? If it hasn't caught on by now, it just won't ever. Keeping it around after years of it not gaining any traction makes no sense.

Actually, it would not be that bad if it wasn't gaining any traction or if it was just stagnating in place. The reality is that It's actually becoming less marketable.

I don't recall hearing fans leaving during Mir-Crocop or Maia-Laflare. But as all of us know so well, fans have repeatedly left during DJ fights.

The fans have spoken.

Without the lighter belts it would be harder to have 2 belt cards. They like having two title fights.

The reason they have the divisions is for the potential star quality they contain. Even if there's no star in a division right now, it doesn't mean there never will be. You could have said the same thing you're saying about BW and FLW, about Featherweight too before Conor came along.

Back