Is Wonderboy the new showtime?

Alanf7

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Now Pettis is figured out,could Wonderboy be the new most exciting fighter with dem flashy kicks?

He is far better on the feet than Pettis ever was. Thompson is a legitimate knockout threat to anyone he fights; this was never the case for Pettis.

Now Pettis is figured out,could Wonderboy be the new most exciting fighter with dem flashy kicks?

He's not the next Showtime... Based on the fact that Thompson has already proven he can resist being taken down and grapple-fucked by an elite wrestler.

Showtime with better TDD., and doesn't cave in like Pettis when someone pressures him against the cage. I mean he is everything Showtime dreams to become.

I can assure you Wonderboy doesn't care about making his kicks flashy. They are meant to take you out.

Pettis problem has always been that he gets hearded against the cage where his style makes him valnuable to pretty much everything - strikes, takedowns, what have you. Wonderboy dosen't have that problem (or at least he hasn't shown such problems yet). But I still believe that Pettis is better in a straight-up striking match in the middle of the cage. It wasn't that long ago that Thompson was dropped by one-note Ellenberger, for instance.

He is far better on the feet than Pettis ever was. Thompson is a legitimate knockout threat to anyone he fights; this was never the case for Pettis.
What?!!

I agree Pettis is riding some bad luck now but back during his streak he did some amazing things.

After the Guida lost, he

Koed Lauzon
Body kick the shit out of the Cowboy
Arm barred Bendo
And guillotine Melendez. Both Bendo and Melendez are some of toughest guys to tapped and here Pettis (a primary standup guy) tapped them.

Not to mention bouncing off a fucken cage like Ong Bak. Wonder boy has his style, Pettis has his. Just like Machida as well.

Just saw the fight. Man, Wonderboy is the real deal! Holy cow, Hendricks was getting decimated on the feet and his first strong attempt at a takedown failed.

I was rooting for Thompson and man, did he go for it. He's gotten a lot stronger since and his volume and technique was superb.

I'm a big Robbie Lawler fan, but the only way I see Lawler winning this is if he goes back form his Strikeforce days and fought exactly like how he did against Tim Kennedy. He needs to incorporate that type of foot, head and hand movement to beat Wonderboy imo...

Last edited:
What?!!

I agree Pettis is riding some bad luck now but back during his streak he did some amazing things.

After the Guida lost, he

Koed Lauzon
Body kick the shit out of the Cowboy
Arm barred Bendo
And guillotine Melendez

Not to mention bouncing off a fucken cage like Ong Bak. Wonder boy has his style, Pettis has his. Just like Machida as well.

I did not say Pettis was incompetent, just that he has never been on Thompson's level on the feet (and he never will). Thompson is deadlier in every single way.

Wonderboy is a great fighter, but he's not nearly as flashy as Pettis. There's no kick named for him. But you don't have to be flashy to be effective, and being effective is better than being flashy.

...admittedly, Wonderboy vs Pettis would be an amazing fight.

Thompson will struggle against equally long, high volume strikers who are able to tag him from the kicking and boxing distance. Condit and Macdonald come to mind. Possibly Lawler if he finally lets his hands and more importantly kicks go.

He's not the next Showtime... Based on the fact that Thompson has already proven he can resist being taken down and grapple-fucked by an elite wrestler.

I want to start a band and name it "Grapplefuck"

or start a new line of rash guards with the same name

And before we hype Thompson lest we forget Ellenberger was able to drop him and Lawler punches even harder than Ellenberger and has a better timing.

I did not say Pettis was incompetent, just that he has never been on Thompson's level on the feet (and he never will). Thompson is deadlier in every single way.
Where u find him deadlier in every single way or not is subjective. The level of competition when compare with one another, Pettis has fought and beaten all the top rank guys in his division. This Hendricks win for Thompson, was his first high level victory.

Where u find him deadlier in every single way or not is subjective. The level of competition when compare with one another, Pettis has fought and beaten all the top rank guys in his division. This Hendricks win for Thompson, was his first high level victory.

Thompson is objectively the more deadly guy on the feet (greater percentage of (T)KO wins, more accurate, and more strikes landed per minute, to name a few metrics). Thompson has 12 wins at the moment, nearly 60% of them via (T)KO. His most recent win was a (T)KO of a former world champion that had never been finished in his career; Anthony doesn't have a single striking finish anywhere near that caliber.

Pettis first 12 wins saw him against much lesser competition and he was only able to pull a 41% (T)KO rate, a rate that has since dropped several percentage points.

So so guy comes and throws couple spinning kicks and a jumping kick, and now he is the next Showtime? Lol no.

But seriously, they have way different styles, and Thompson has much better movement, hands and TDD. Only similarity between them is that both have thrown couple of flashy kicks.

I can assure you Wonderboy doesn't care about making his kicks flashy. They are meant to take you out.
Nothing he throws is for show and it really was displayed in this fight. The "flashy" spinning kick practically sent Hendricks through the damn fence. Unbelievable power.

Damn,I really want to like Thompson but Sherdoggers make it so hard...

Are you kidding me?

Anyone who watched MMA for more than 2 years knows that longetivity,pressure,different variety of match ups etc... is a far bigger challenge than getting your first top win in a very impressive way,and it tends to catch up on even the best fighters in the universe.

It literally happened to almost every single top UFC fighter.

Now,I'm not necessarily saying Pettis is better than Thompson,but its FAR more retarded to say that Thompson already has better skills than Pettis.

Let the man face the biggest challenge of his entire career first(the things I mentioned above),damn.

Damn,I really want to like Thompson but Sherdoggers make it so hard...

Are you kidding me?

Anyone who watched MMA for more than 2 years knows that longetivity,pressure,different variety of match ups etc... is a far bigger challenge than getting your first top win in a very impressive way,and it tends to catch up on even the best fighters in the universe.

It literally happened to almost every single top UFC fighter.

Now,I'm not necessarily saying Pettis is better than Thompson,but its FAR more retarded to say that Thompson already has better skills than Pettis.

Let the man face the biggest challenge of his entire career first(the things I mentioned above),damn.

Who said that Thompson became better than Pettis all of sudden? Statistically he has been more effective and he defended an elite wrestler takedown. Thats hardly if at all saying that he is better. Everyone has strengths and weaknesess.

wonderboy has far better hands than pettis

Back