Wonderboy ain't all that karate

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
That flippy floppy stuff with dancing around ain't no karate.

That ain't, it's just some american variation of it. That doesn't represent Karate at all

I say this, because I like Karate a lot. I don't practice it, and I don't know too much about it perhaps, but I know that that shit ain't karate that jumping around wailing and flipping if it resembles anything, that resembles much more ITF taekwondo, much much more so than Karate, which probably was influenced quite a bit by Karate, which in turn may have been influenced by the influx of Chinese martial arts, and on and on.

Thought of course there are lots of different karates in existence, and one can perhaps trace their history back to the original karate whether by land or sea, but in no way shape or form does that represent Karate, in my opinion.

It's akin to pointing to a rapper and say that they represent the art of poetry very well, because they use literary devices like rhymes and etc, and perhaps at the root of the rap, or any art really, if you trace it back in time enough, perhaps you will find something common the type of which still exist in much same version as it did back in time, but it doesn't mean the other version is a good representative of it.

GSP destroys Wonderboy even if he's blind, and if someone out of those two represents karate better, it would be GSP, not Wonderboy.

I practiced Shorin-Ryu Karate. My style was very similar to the way he fights.

So it took about 30 minutes to start getting the Wonderboy hate threads. Neat.

GSP destroys Wonderboy even if he's blind, and if someone out of those two represents karate better, it would be GSP, not Wonderboy.

YatzXljQOm57WaxzWUA6_Stairs%20Just%20Wrong.gif

Thompson comes from a sport karate background, rather than a traditional karate background. He also has been influenced by American Kenpo.

It's true that what he does is not the same as traditional Japanese/Okinawan karate, but like you say, they are different styles. It's basically a modern, sport form of traditional karate. In any case, it's very different from something like boxing or MT.

IT is as different from karate as it is from kickboxing or muaythai

His stance, the way he controls distance, the way he throws his kicks...all very much karate. Why is it difficult for people to accept that TMA can be applied to MMA? Sure, he's adopted the strengths he feels are most applicable. But that does not change it's origin.

kickboxing would be more similar to karate than Thompson's style would be and hell that shit looks much similar to Taekwondo ITF than Karate, so unless someone wants to start arguing that Taekwondo fighters can start representing Karate as well, I don't know if we should be quick to associating Thompson with ANY kind of Karate,

That ain't, it's just some american variation of it. That doesn't represent Karate at all

I say this, because I like Karate a lot. I don't practice it, and I don't know too much about it perhaps
Just a classic line here

His stance, the way he controls distance, the way he throws his kicks...all very much karate. Why is it difficult for people to accept that TMA can be applied to MMA? Sure, he's adopted the strengths he feels are most applicable. But that does not change it's origin.

since when his stance is anything like Karate, like you making shit up now as you go

His kick don't look like Karate either, that looks much more like ITF taekwondo

Bro, he threw a punch, he's a boxer

Thing is at the end of the day, Thompson's style is pretty much the style you see in those wierd american kickboxing things that they put which Raymond Daniels and that other black guy from Bellator succesfully competed in, I think

IT is as different from karate as it is from kickboxing or muaythai

Kickboxing, at least in America, started out being called "full-contact karate" so I'm not really sure what you're getting at.

Thompson himself says his background is karate and teaches kids. I guess he's been wrong all his life. You tell em soldier.

since when his stance is anything like Karate, like you making shit up now as you go
You know nothing of which you talk about, even stated in your first post. I come from a TKD background and have often preferred this stance because of it's options. It's not the only stance, but it is one that is learned. Still going to question me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back