The Power of Karate

G

Guestx

I'm glad to see that this martial art is finally getting its due. It started with Machida. And now we have Wonderboy, Scoggins, Makdessi, Nelson, and others.

There's nothing wrong with karate, there's only something wrong with how it's taught in many schools (unfortunately). War Karate!

chuck-norris.jpg

You must be trolling. Everyone knows krotty doesnt work in the cage. UFC 1 confirmed this.

And Chuck Norris is Tang Soo do I think.

Hey you also forgot Roy Nelson does Karate. even Jones practices in lookseedo which i believe is a non traditional form of karate.

You must be trolling. Everyone knows krotty doesnt work in the cage. UFC 1 confirmed this.

Totally ineffective!

And Chuck Norris is Tang Soo do I think.

Well, Chuck has a black belt in a bunch of shit, including some karate styles. He may not have been the most pure example, but I knew people would know who he was.

Wouldn't include Nelson as a poster boy being as his stand up consists of a jab and overhand right, but it is pretty interesting watching these guys rise.

If I was going to steal one aspect from karate it would be distance control

Wouldn't include Nelson as a poster boy being as his stand up consists of a jab and overhand right, but it is pretty interesting watching these guys rise.

Yeah, fuck Roy Nelson. Besides, doesn't he claim credit as a "kung fu fighter"?

I agree that it's interesting to see these guys come on board. Actually, I fucking love it.

EDIT: I meant Gunnar Nelson, bro!

i

KARATE KILLER

no but seriously, it's fun stuff.

It was my foundation, good to see..

I like how from the opening bell Wonderboy adopted that hands down side stance that a lot of karate and TKD people use and it surprisingly seemed to confuse Jonny as if he didnt know how to attack it.

It's just new.

After seeing their technique a few times.. It will lead to a Lyoto Machida type fall.

amazing to watch though!

Machida, McGreggor, GSP, Thompson,... Lots of good fighters who utilize karate to great effect. Holly Holm started in karate...

How long till Wonderboy meets his Shogun?

Wonderboy was amazing tonight! No love loss for Hendricks ... Karate for the win!

The Machida Error ---> The Wonderboy Error.

Errors usually don't last very long.

I was play-sparring my buddy, who's a pretty legit Karate Black-Belt, and it really frustrated and impressed me that I couldn't even get close to him while he kept his straights in my face the whole time. No power shots, I just asked him to demonstrate his style.

Karate trained with MMA in mind is effective. On it's own, without wrestling and BJJ and a little boxing, it wouldn't be nearly as effective.

I like how from the opening bell Wonderboy adopted that hands down side stance that a lot of karate and TKD people use and it surprisingly seemed to confuse Jonny as if he didnt know how to attack it.

I thought the same thing. I basically only consider TMA guys to be true TMA guys if you can see it in the cage. With Wonderboy, like with Machida, you can see it.

Dan Hardy does karate too.

Does he DO karate or did he do karate when he was like 7?

Because I've noticed a lot of fighters did a TMA as a kid but that doesn't mean it reflects their current fighting style.

Back