Anyone else think Barao would overwhelm Cruz?

120wrestling

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I thought it back than, and I still think today that Renan Barao would maul Cruz. I know people are going to talk about Cruz beating Dillashaw as if it's an indicator. But TJ has a lot of power in his shots while Dominick pots shots punches that don't really take your head off. This would favor Barao I think because he'd be less hesitant knowing their isn't much of a chance of him getting put away with one shot from Cruz.

Not to mention Barao's nasty leg kicks, overall size, takedowns, and crazy BJJ. I think this would be a different match up and I could see Barao putting away with his looping all angle shots.

No matter how much movement Cruz uses, it's absolutely inevitable he gets hit atleast once in 25 minutes...and by a big power hitter like Renan...that wont be good.

Not really, I think Cruz wins this rather easily. He's kind of in a league of his own.

I don't think there was ever a time Barao could have beaten Cruz

Most likely it is similar to tj vs barao, without a finish.

Before TJ he might have been able to beat him.

But now he's taken a ton of trauma to the head, I maintain that the combo TJ finished him with in their second fight may very well have broken him because he clearly wasn't the same after the first fight when he fought Gagnon. TJ lit Barao up and he was missing punches left and right against Cruz who in turn was putting together combos on TJ who Barao couldn't touch.

Barao is/was a great fighter with lethal power and amazing skill but now we know what we know and Barao would only have a punchers chance against Dom. Add in the damage he's taken and the weight cut and Dom wins that fight 9 times out of 10.

It really is remarkeable how 2 years ago when Barao was Interim Champ and destroying everyone, everyone said he would run through Cruz and KO him. Everyone seems to have jumped off the wagon since TJ came along

The Barao we all used to love is now gone. Thanks TJ.

If TJ could not overwhelm Cruz once in 25 minutes, being faster, stronger, a better wrestler, and more diverse striking... why would Barao be able to do so with less foot movement and maybe as fast hands. his bjj might be 'better' than TJ but Cruz has worldclass grappling around the circle. He would do the same he did to TJ minus the thought of fast headkicks and power

Barao has power and minor movement, Cruz makes those kinds of fighters look amateurish

no. (insert random GIF of disapproval)

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

No.

Dominick-Cruz.jpg

#cruzblessed

I thought it back than, and I still think today that Renan Barao would maul Cruz. I know people are going to talk about Cruz beating Dillashaw as if it's an indicator. But TJ has a lot of power in his shots while Dominick pots shots punches that don't really take your head off. This would favor Barao I think because he'd be less hesitant knowing their isn't much of a chance of him getting put away with one shot from Cruz.

Not to mention Barao's nasty leg kicks, overall size, takedowns, and crazy BJJ. I think this would be a different match up and I could see Barao putting away with his looping all angle shots.

No matter how much movement Cruz uses, it's absolutely inevitable he gets hit atleast once in 25 minutes...and by a big power hitter like Renan...that wont be good.

That is the key right there. Not saying that means Barao win but I think this fight would be different and I'd still like to see it. I hope this fight (Cruz VS Barao) can happen. It is certainly more appealing than Faber again.

I don't think he could overwhelm him but I do remember Faber dropping him like 4 times and Barao hits way harder. I think if this fight happened when it should have I maybe would have favored Barao. I think the speed and mental game is too wide now as I think Barao has slowed down and his head is a mess.

Who knows what level todays Barao is at, he didn't look good in the fight between the two TJ beatings.

In form I think he has a better shot vs Cruz than he does vs TJ though as much as Cruz's fans will try and MMAth him the win. TJ got in his face and exposed his weaker boxing game, Cruz would stand back more and give him a chance to work his kicks as indeed TJ did against him late in the fight.

tumblr_ns3f6zPNxq1uymb4eo2_400.gif

Only if he sat in the pocket and exchanged with Barao but Cruz is much smarter than that. He'd exploit Renan's movement and limited attacks. I believe that'd be the first fight that he's taken down as well. His wrestling is the most effective in the division, more effective than Dillashaw's. TJ's perfect TDD didn't hold up Cruz either. Not that Dominick is impossible to hit, it's moreso to tag him you have to have great feinting, a speed advantage, the movement to keep up with him, or (ideally) all of the above.

DC 50-45 or 49-46

I literally can't imagine Barao even hitting him.. imagine the troubke he would have with TJ if TJ were better and faster in every area...

tumblr_ns3f6zPNxq1uymb4eo2_400.gif

Only if he sat in the pocket and exchanged with Barao but Cruz is much smarter than that. He'd exploit Renan's movement and limited attacks. I believe that'd be the first fight that he's taken down as well. His wrestling is the most effective in the division, more effective than Dillashaw's. TJ's perfect TDD didn't hold up Cruz either. Not that Dominick is impossible to hit, it's moreso to tag him you have to have great feinting, a speed advantage, the movement to keep up with him, or (ideally) all of the above.

DC 50-45 or 49-46

Pretty much this. Even Rogan was mid-orgasm about Dillasnake's power and it meant fuck all when he was whiffing 75% of his shots. Dom would have studied the tape and found the openings like he does everyone.

Appreciate that you're watching one of the best to ever step into the cage.

Cruz bless

Back