If Bellator is gonna keep going after UFC fighters, then they should...

mmmjojo

Tapped in 1.3 secs
@Brown
Reaction score
Focus more on LW and below because that's where more of the youthful talent is at. Most of the top guys @ WW and above are in their 30s. If Bellator can keep snatching lighter weight fighters, they can be another WEC. Say what you will but there was a reason the UFC brought them into the fold. Just like boxing, the smaller guys are taking over.

Hell, once Ronda retires, go after the whole women's divisions. Once again, the UFC went after the women because of Ronda. But Coker did much better in booking and promoting women's MMA.

They are buying names. They need name value if they ever want to compete against the UFC in any real capacity. WEC was able to compete with the UFC because the UFC had no lighter weight divisions. WEC had a completely unique product. Bellator is competing head to head with the UFC in every division so it all comes down to having big draws, regardless of age.

I agree they need to target specifc division and try to get one division to a point where people are arguing if Bellator or UFC has the better division. Most likey LW is where they should focus.

They are buying names. They need name value if they ever want to compete against the UFC in any real capacity. WEC was able to compete with the UFC because the UFC had no lighter weight divisions. WEC had a completely unique product. Bellator is competing head to head with the UFC in every division so it all comes down to having big draws, regardless of age.

There's plenty of decent names in the lower weight classes too who could use a change of scenery. Diaz, Barao, Faber, Mendes, etc.

There's plenty of decent names in the lower weight classes too who could use a change of scenery. Diaz, Barao, Faber, Mendes, etc.
Nate is in his 30s, Barao turns 29 in a few weeks, Faber is about to fight for the belt and is 36 years old, Mendes is in his 30s. Wasn't your entire post about finding young talent in the lower divisions?

Nate is in his 30s, Barao turns 29 in a few weeks, Faber is about to fight for the belt and is 36 years old, Mendes is in his 30s. Wasn't your entire post about finding young talent in the lower divisions?

Yes but your retort was they want big names. My counter was that have names in lower weight classes too.

Think Bellator wil focus on older guys they can put in main events. They aren't looking for division depth. Look at the squash matches in Strikeforce, people love those fights.

their prob gonna try to get perosh, cariaso, and kampmann since they all just retired. Then pyle and other fighters almost in their 40's.

I know I'm probably going to get shit on, but... Bellator is never going to be competition for the UFC in the US as long as their name is Bellator. People will disagree, but those 3 simple letters are far more valuable than any fighter, including Ronda or Conor.

If they manage to get 'reem...sign Fedor, then they will have a legit competition in the HW division which is pretty weak right now. All they need to do is promote their fights better. Enough to keep sponsors a closer look and be interested...they're giving fighters the freedom to acquire sponsors which is their biggest weapon vs. UFC.

The already have young HW talent that blows out the UFC, and an inside track on young eastern European HW's. It is the biggest draw for casuals also. If they can get a couple more decent HW veterans & (Fedor!) to add to that stable, I feel that is their quickest way to competing.

Face it, the two womens divisions, the flyweight division and the HW division are the most shallow, and most likely to require fewer talents in these WC's to compete.

Invicta would make it hard for Bellator to make roads toward competing with the UFC in WMMA. FLW doesn't sell, No reason to pay decent money for the least profitable WC.

But i see it the other way around too. UFC going after Bellator's cream of the crop after they start losing.

Bellator needs to focus on getting and keeping young talent. Alot of young talent is going to come their way aswell as alot of "temporary transfers" from the UFC.

Alot of the UFCs talent don't like the reebok deal. It seriously hurts their earning potential for years, drastically reducing their pay and opportunity. MMA is a short lived career and the reebok deal might be in effect for over half of a fighters career or in some cases their entire career. There are alot of new fighters who are going to outright choose bellator. There are also alot of established ufc vets who are going to wait their contract out and transfer over to bellator.

The problem comes in when the reebok deal expires. How is bellator going to keep that talent around in 5 years?. At that time, we might see a mass exodus from bellator back to the ufc. But i suppose some fighters will stay with bellator as there is no guarantee that the ufc wont just do another deal that fucks over the fighters so harshly. Coker is pretty well respected in the industry for not fucking over the talent and some fighters will just seem more secure with him as their boss.

Last edited:
You realize that Ken Shamrock and Royce Gracie are fighting in Bellator, and Pat Militech is clamouring for a fight against the winner, right?

You realize that Ken Shamrock and Royce Gracie are fighting in Bellator, and Pat Militech is clamouring for a fight against the winner, right?

Dana??? Is this you, you fuckin goof?

Let's look at the the facts, Bellator is building its roster with more names whether they are big or not doesn't mean shit names sell fights I.e. bonnar v. Ortiz, UFC has an excess of fighters that need purged or that it will try to build. Bellator now has a competent president (coker) which has increased Viacom's willingness to spend da big bucks. UFC has Reebok that fighters adamantly don't like, and restricts earning potential except for the no names. Bellator allows sponsors which allows even no names to be business savvy and make money if they are smart enough. In the end Bellator is getting bigger we all see just some refuse to accept it. Will it ever beat the UFC I doubt but mainly because that's not what Scott coker or Viacom want to do they've said it themselves. Bellator is its own monster. They're similar yet so different let's enjoy both.

Dana??? Is this you, you fuckin goof?

LOL. Yeah because Dana is the ONLY person that doesn't think that is a great fight...

Don't forget Kimbo vs. Da Da on the same card... lol

LOL. Yeah because Dana is the ONLY person that doesn't think that is a great fight...

Don't forget Kimbo vs. Da Da on the same card... lol

People should wait for the ratings before talking tho.

Back