What Adjustment Did Holly Make After Round 1?

platypus44

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Holly has given an interview and indicated that "we made an adjustment between rounds" in the Rousey fight. She declined to disclose it because it might affect the rematch.
What was the adjustment?
1. In round 1, there were a lot of kicks to the ankles and knee area. Toward the end of round 1, Holly got off balance after one of these kicks, got tagged by a looping Rousey left, clinched and then threw Rousey to the ground. As far as I can see, there were no low kicks in the second round.
2. Holly used a lot of right hooks to stop Ronda's jab into a hanger strategy in the first round. Toward the end of the round, it looked like Ronda was clinching off these hooks with some effectiveness. I did not see Holly use any right hooks in the second round.
3. Everyone remarked on the left elbow to the head by Holly in the first round but it led to a clinch and ultimately to the ground and probably to the closest thing to Holly being in some danger. After than, there were no more elbows.
4. The second round was short so it's hard to tell but watching the fight there seemed to be some tactical adjustments on each side as things progressed.
5. I suspect the second fight (if it ever happens) will be different from the first. I would still pick Holly but (if Ronda has competent advice and if SOMEONE with an IQ higher than the room temperature watches the tape) Ronda will make some tactical adjustments to which Holly will make countermoves. motto.time.com/4190444/holly-holm-advice-underdog/

She decided to kick Ronda in the head, was the adjustment.

2E757F5600000578-0-Rousey_was_dropped_by_a_kick_to_the_head_to_which_she_had_no_ans-a-22_1447606455161.jpg

After round one, she gave Ronda an adjustment of cervical vertebrae 1 through 4.

As far as I know... Ronda is sticking with Fast Eddie. Doesn't even plan on watching the tape of the fight. Is making movies for many months. Then she's gonna somehow reverse the fight that we saw 12 months earlier. I don't think so.

Adjustments after the 1st not withstanding.

it wasnt til Round 2 that Greg called out the code word "Travis Browne", my new all-time-fave secret squirrel signal.

she adjusted her power levels to over 9000

Idk what but she seemed more a little more aggressive in the second round. Maybe they just told her to go for the KO

she got on her bike and crashed into someone

I think the adjustment was they realised Edmond had no clue what was going on and to not respect any of Ronda's stand up.

They told her to throw head kicks.

I think that the head kick was a matter of situational opportunity. If the same opportunity had happened in the first round, there would have been a head kick in the first round.
Looking at the tapes again, I think it is the adjustment was either or both - 1. no more low kicks, or 2. no more right hooks or jabs. Each of these tactics had gotten Holly into a little bit of trouble late in the first ground and the thinking must have been - we are way ahead and winning and we are scoring better than we expected with straight lefts, so why take any chances?
Still it shows that - if Ronda can get into clinches off some of Holly's punches, she may be able to take away some of Holly's weapons in the rematch.

I think that the head kick was a matter of situational opportunity. If the same opportunity had happened in the first round, there would have been a head kick in the first round.
Looking at the tapes again, I think it is the adjustment was either or both - 1. no more low kicks, or 2. no more right hooks or jabs. Each of these tactics had gotten Holly into a little bit of trouble late in the first ground and the thinking must have been - we are way ahead and winning and we are scoring better than we expected with straight lefts, so why take any chances?
Still it shows that - if Ronda can get into clinches off some of Holly's punches, she may be able to take away some of Holly's weapons in the rematch.

wow someone attempted to actually answer the OP.

Good on you.

Honestly I wouldn't doubt it. Everyone from that camp gets accused of greasing it can't be a coincidence at this point. Nate Marquardt, GSP (by several fighters), Holly Holm, and I'm sure there is more I can't remember

Back