Good. I don't enjoy watching him fight anymore, and his health has got to be in a bad shape nowadays. Good luck Nog, thanks for the memories.

Should have retired after the Nelson fight but Nog is and have always been a warrior and I'm sure he wanted to go out with a win so that's why he wanted to fight against Struve. I'm glad he finally realises it's time to hang them gloves.

A legend and MMA hall of fame member. He will be missed.

He has nothing left to prove and he's only going to take more damage pointlessly, so this is the right decision. He could still compete in grappling, should he so desire, I suppose.
Thanks for the memories, Big Nog.

His fight against Tim Sylvia was one that really got me hooked on mma a few years ago. This is certainly for the best.:)

Glad he has a lot of mileage on his body, one of the all time greats.

Thank God!

A legend of the sport but no way should he carry on, it's not good for his health.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/8/2...o-nogueira-has-agreed-to-retire-after-ufc-190

Legend. Will be missed. But it's time.

8728955.jpg

Classy Struve is classy.

Good for Nog though. He's got nothing left to prove.

His fight against Tim Sylvia was one that really got me hooked on mma a few years ago. This is certainly for the best.:)

i don't think i could have said it any better. that finishing sequence...holy shit, i don't know how many times i replayed that fight.

good for him. he's got nothing left to prove and i think everyone can agree his best days in the competition sense are behind him. better late than never.

Happy to hear this, it was about time.

Respect to the legend.

Thank you for all the amazing fights Nog.

Thanks for the Blood and Fight you showed us fans Big Nog!

Nogueira's fight with Tim Sylvia in 2008 was my first UFC and I was immediately hooked. This Brazilian guy who looked like a stone cold killer was getting jabbed to death and as soon as the fight went to the ground, BAM, it's over. It changed me. I started looking up Nogueira's old PRIDE FC fights and It instantly got me into BJJ and now I am a purple belt and I don't see myself ever quitting.

When he got hit by a bus as a kid, the doctors told him he may never walk again.

Instead the dude forged himself a Hall of Fame MMA career.

A true MMA legend and an even classier person.

I'm glad. He (along with Sakuraba) was my first favorite fighter, and he was part of the reason I started training Jiu Jitsu in '05. Every time he seemed to get it going again I hoped for a big career comeback. But the past 5 years or so, I had no such hopes. It doesn't even pain me as much to see him lose anymore. It just feels like watching your dad get beat up.

The fight last night shows how little mobility he has in his overall game. For someone who was touted as a fluid and slick BJJ artist, you can see that he can barely grapple anymore. He's crippled by injuries, so he tries to force the few things his body can still do. He was single-mindedly pursuing the outside trip from the over/under clinch last night, probably because it's easy on the joints and is safe, and you don't have to scramble to finish. He moves slowly, and his reactions are very poor. By most accounts he's been functionally blind in one of his eyes since his late Pride career. It's a miracle he gets licensed to fight.

Nogueira is a hero and a legend and he has nothing left to prove. He can ride off into the sunset now, and I really hope he does.

Back