30 Admirals under investigation. Huge Navy scandal

I know that a lot of people will say this is a sign that we're irretrievably corrupt, but I hope people consider that a scandal like this would have been covered up not long ago. Inevitably, as corruption decreases, there is a period when corruption is far more visible, giving the appearance that it's more common. The information explosion we're experiencing only multiplies this effect. This is true in law enforcement and politics as well as in the military. It's a reason to become less cynical rather than more cynical. Maybe this is all for choirs and deaf ears, but I think it's true.

May I ask you why you think corruption is decreasing?

May I ask you why you think corruption is decreasing?
The short answer is that it's incredibly difficult to actually measure corruption, and it's mostly done by perception, which is ridiculously subjectiv. Major modern efforts to measure & report it started around 1995. We've stayed consistently about where clear-thinking people would expect- below northern Europe & Canada but not anything like less developed countries, and we've stayed roughly consistent in the overall level of perception on corruption. But in this time transparency has increased significantly, if for no other reason than information becoming more public. People can't plot together nearly as easily as they used to. This means there are fewer places for corruption to hide. Recently Preet Bharara was going hard against corruption from the southern district of NY (they have a giant influence).

But the way I see it is that if corruption were actually increasing, our perceptions of corruption would be increasing significantly, because of an increase in information. If our perceptions of corruption decrease or stay the same while our information increases, then it almost has to be the case that real corruption is decreasing- or at most is staying constant. There isn't much room for corruption to grow.

That could change in the coming years because the regulatory environment is changing, so we'll have to see what happens while an incredibly corrupt person runs the country. Side note, but worth thinking about: There's a sweet spot in regulation when it comes to corruption. Too little regulation and obviously it goes unchecked. Too much regulation and you have a red tape bribery nightmare.

It'd be great if our military generals weren't spending our tax dollars living like Saudi Arabian kings.
General Petraeus had a problem with hookers his entire life.

It'd be great if our military generals weren't spending our tax dollars living like Saudi Arabian kings.
General Petraeus had a problem with hookers his entire life.

prostitution has always been around and affects peoples from all walks of life. all military members take trafficking courses every year as part of their general military training requirements and before pulling into ports. regardless of training, it still happens. just like DUIs; people know its wrong but they do it anyways. you cant blame the military as a whole; blaming them means you arent holding people accountable for their own actions. you can only train, remind, and reprimand so much....

as for this incident; it was unfortunate. there were a bunch of measures that should have caught the things that were going on; the people on the top should have reported it but fat lennie greased the skids very well.

I know that a lot of people will say this is a sign that we're irretrievably corrupt, but I hope people consider that a scandal like this would have been covered up not long ago. Inevitably, as corruption decreases, there is a period when corruption is far more visible, giving the appearance that it's more common. The information explosion we're experiencing only multiplies this effect. This is true in law enforcement and politics as well as in the military. It's a reason to become less cynical rather than more cynical. Maybe this is all for choirs and deaf ears, but I think it's true.

The navy only has 160 admirals total.

So about 20% of the brass in the navy are in on this single instance of corruption. One man corrupted 20% of the navy's highest leadership. I certainly hope that there are no other men who tried to bribe admirals, because it looks like it isnt very difficult.

If 20% of the managers at a fact9ry were convicted of embezzlement, it would be called endemic to the culture. This os a disgustingly high number.

-font-b-Japanese-b-font-School-font-b-Sailor-b-font-Uniform-Summer-Class-font.jpg

2015-New-School-Skirt-Sailor-Suit-Japanese-Korean-School-Uniforms-In-The-Summer-Wind-On-Department.jpg

Wholesale-font-b-Japanese-b-font-font-b-School-b-font-Sailor-font-b-Uniform-b.jpg

Nothing says hot like 12 year olds. Derp

The navy only has 160 admirals total.

So about 20% of the brass in the navy are in on this single instance of corruption. One man corrupted 20% of the navy's highest leadership. I certainly hope that there are no other men who tried to bribe admirals, because it looks like it isnt very difficult.

If 20% of the managers at a fact9ry were convicted of embezzlement, it would be called endemic to the culture. This os a disgustingly high number.
Only one has been charged, but 30 are under investigation, which would include anybody who had significant contact with this contractor. We can't translate that into all 30 of them being corrupt. Though the fact that this guy had access to so many for a long time is troubling.

Only one has been charged, but 30 are under investigation, which would include anybody who had significant contact with this contractor. We can't translate that into all 30 of them being corrupt. Though the fact that this guy had access to so many for a long time is troubling.

I am sure that any admiral who had significant contact with him was offered a bribe. That means that at best, they did not report him. Luckily for the military, the UCMJ has something for all situations.

Article 134. General article:
Though not specifically mentioned in this chapter, all disorders and neglects to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces, all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces, and crimes and offenses not capital, of which persons subject to this chapter may be guilty, shall be taken cognizance of by a general, special, or summary court-martial, according to the nature and degree of the offense, and shall be punished at the discretion of that court.

— 10 U.S.C. § 934

The Navy’s $35 Million Scandal: Hookers, Booze and a Guy Named ‘Fat Leonard’

03162017_US_Navy_Jet_Fighter.jpg

REUTERS/Erik De Castro
By Ciro Scotti

Earlier this week, the Justice Department released an indictment of seven Navy officers – including an admiral and four captains – and a Marine colonel for giving military contractor Leonard Glenn “Fat Leonard” Francis inside information, some of which was classified, in exchange for $25,000 watches, Cuban cigars, $2,000 bottles of liquor, stays in pricey hotels and champagne-fueled parties with hookers, according to The Washington Post.

In one incident at a Manila hotel, Navy revelers engaged in a multi-day party, guzzling all the Dom Pérignon available and costing Fat Leonard some $50,000, the Post said.

Navy Sex And Bribery Scandal Deepens As More Sailors Are Charged
On Tuesday, retired Rear Admiral Bruce Loveless and several Navy officials were indicted for, among other things, “a raging multi-day party, with a rotating carousel of prostitutes”. Josh King has the story

“In 2011,” the Post said, “Glenn Defense won deals valued at $200 million to service U.S. vessels at ports stretching from the Russian Far East to Australia.” Fat Leonard has admitted that his Singapore-based company, Glenn Defense Marine Asia, defrauded the Navy of more than $35 million, according to the Justice Department.

Besides Fat Leonard -- a 6’3”, 350-lb. native of Malaysia who is awaiting sentencing and said to be cooperating with investigators -- multiple Navy officers and civilian employees have admitted to being part of the far-flung corruption network.

Among them is a Navy commander, 28-year veteran Michael Vannak Khiem Misiewicz, who was sentenced to six years in federal prison last April for giving Glenn Defense confidential information about ballistic missile defenses and schedules for the U.S. 7th Fleet, according to The Los Angeles Times.

Rear Admiral Robert Gilbeau, the highest-ranking active officer charged, pleaded guilty to lying to investigators, and 30 other admirals are said to be under investigation.

But Fat Leonard’s tentacles didn’t just extend to the officer corps; he also compromised at least one investigator looking into the corruption scandal, which has been called the largest case of fraud in U.S. Navy history. Last October, an officer of the Naval Criminal Investigative Service was sentenced to 12 years in prison for helping to keep Fat Leonard one step ahead of the law by supplying him with more than 80 reports on his criminal activities.

The highest-ranking officer charged this week is retired Rear Adm. Bruce Loveless, a former director of naval intelligence.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2017/...andal-Hookers-Booze-and-Guy-Named-Fat-Leonard

_________________________________________________________________________________

I think this should be a bigger story. We are increasing military spending 54 Billion dollars in this budget Trump put forward, when their is waste on fraud on a grand scale occurring already.

Why do we need to increase military spending, when ending waste and fraud in military spending could pay for any increase capabilities needed?
This is Obama's "disciplined" military. Just like Obama's Secret Service that leaves lap tops in unsecure locations and lets idiots roam the white house lawn for 15 minutes.

This is Obama's "disciplined" military. Just like Obama's Secret Service that leaves lap tops in unsecure locations and lets idiots roam the white house lawn for 15 minutes.

You think an admiral that had been in the navy for 23 years became corrupt because of obama?

incompetent and corrupt leadership in the military is a very serious and common problem. These guys didnt just commit fraud, they betrayed america for person gain. they should be hung.

this

You think an admiral that had been in the navy for 23 years became corrupt because of obama?
I think 8 years of Obama made various areas of the government more lax and corrupt than usual.

I think 8 years of Obama made various areas of the government more lax and corrupt than usual.

The article says the contract he got was in 2011. So 3 years of obamas administration. Corrupted a 23 year service. Sounds pretty fucking unlikely.

The article says the contract he got was in 2011. So 3 years of obamas administration. Corrupted a 23 year service. Sounds pretty fucking unlikely.
Just speculating, but he could have seen the Obama writing on the wall and knew he could do whatever the hell he wanted. I mean Obama is the guy, after all, who instead of enforcing federal laws that made marijuana illegal helped banks normalize it when it started being decriminalized on a state level. Funny how this guy is getting caught now only after Obama leaves office.

I am sure that any admiral who had significant contact with him was offered a bribe. That means that at best, they did not report him. Luckily for the military, the UCMJ has something for all situations.
That's a good point, corruption is much more serious in the military justice system and criminality can be called at a lower threshold.

They sold classified info for hookers and watches.
Traitors should be shot.

Back